PDA

View Full Version : MTB hub/axle compatibility question - pinkbike purchase gone awry

druptight
10-27-2016, 07:53 AM
:help:

I recently picked up a new full suspension 29er frame, my first upgrade from 26" wheels. Picked up a pretty pristine horsethief frame off a local classified, and needed only a fork and wheelset to get her built up.

I seek out the fork first, find what seems to be a match on pinkbike, a revelation 29er dual air and make sure I double check with him that it's a 15mm thru axle. He says yes and ships, slow boat so it gives me a week to pick up wheels.

Get a good deal on some DT Swiss Spline x1700 wheels off the forums here 15x100 front, 12x142 rear. Those show up first get them all set up tubeless, ready to rock for when my fork arrives.

Fast forward to last night, I'm working on getting it all set up so I can ride this weekend. Install fork crown race. Install front caliper. Go to install wheel, DOH. Fork is a 20x110 axle.

So here I am. 20x110 axle fork, 15x100 wheel. I immediately assumed there'd be some sort of adapter I could use to either shim down the fork or widen the hub to 20mm but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Currently waiting to hear back from my friend at pinkbike - only emailed him last night, so not quite time to open up a paypal dispute yet. In the meantime, I figured I'd check with the braintrust here and see if I'm missing any of my options.

I figure I can either:
Get a new fork
Get a new wheelset
Replace the hub in my front wheel
...any I'm missing?

Worst of all, we're running out of riding weekends up here and I'm now mountain bikeless this weekend as I tore down my 26er to set up the 29er.

belopsky
10-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Who makes the front hub?

druptight
10-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Who makes the front hub?

Sorry - they're DT Swiss x1700 Spline hubs.

Per all their technical documentation this hub is not convertible to a 20x110 setup.

belopsky
10-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Hmmmm

oldpotatoe
10-27-2016, 08:11 AM

I recently picked up a new full suspension 29er frame, my first upgrade from 26" wheels. Picked up a pretty pristine horsethief frame off a local classified, and needed only a fork and wheelset to get her built up.

I seek out the fork first, find what seems to be a match on pinkbike, a revelation 29er dual air and make sure I double check with him that it's a 15mm thru axle. He says yes and ships, slow boat so it gives me a week to pick up wheels.

Get a good deal on some DT Swiss Spline x1700 wheels off the forums here 15x100 front, 12x142 rear. Those show up first get them all set up tubeless, ready to rock for when my fork arrives.

Fast forward to last night, I'm working on getting it all set up so I can ride this weekend. Install fork crown race. Install front caliper. Go to install wheel, DOH. Fork is a 20x110 axle.

So here I am. 20x110 axle fork, 15x100 wheel. I immediately assumed there'd be some sort of adapter I could use to either shim down the fork or widen the hub to 20mm but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Currently waiting to hear back from my friend at pinkbike - only emailed him last night, so not quite time to open up a paypal dispute yet. In the meantime, I figured I'd check with the braintrust here and see if I'm missing any of my options.

I figure I can either:
Get a new fork
Get a new wheelset
...any I'm missing?

Worst of all, we're running out of riding weekends up here and I'm now mountain bikeless this weekend as I tore down my 26er to set up the 29er.

Email this gent..I 'think' it can be converted to 20mm TA..since they do sell one

dagapito@dtswiss.com

Update..no to convert 15mm TA to 20mm on 1700 wheels so..Pinkbike needs to send you a return label and replace with what you ordered, if they can or refund.

belopsky
10-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Sounds like you're SOL. You would be able to go from a 20x to something smaller, but don't believe you can go from 15 to something larger. Conversions occur on the hub end, not the fork end generally?

belopsky
10-27-2016, 08:15 AM
My guess is that DT Swiss uses two different hub shells, one that's 15mm, one that's 20mm, you would be able to convert from a 20mm to 15mm, but not a 15mm hub shell to a 20mm..

dougefresh
10-27-2016, 08:34 AM

get your loot back from pinkbike guy. he told you blatantly incorrect information after you asked and double checked. and make him pay for the return shipping.

15mm thru forks are super common so you shouldn't have trouble finding one but you probably aren't hitting the trails this weekend. everyone else is correct on the DT hub.

Fatty
10-27-2016, 09:06 AM
20 x 110? No such size. If you can't do an end cap swap you could get away with just a new front wheel.

druptight
10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
20 x 110? No such size. If you can't do an end cap swap you could get away with just a new front wheel.

20x110 IS the size.

No swaps available.

Seller seemed like a stand up guy through the transaction, we'll see how he responds to my email which was very cordial.

If he's not properly responsive to refunding plus return shipping, then I'll have to paypal dispute - I did buy as goods/servcs.

Also willing to let him refund me the money, he can re-list the fork, and I'd be happy to "drop ship" to the next buyer for him. I've gotta ship it to someone at some point anyways, and would save him one shipping trip expense. I'll let you all know what he says when he responds. It's 7:15AM in Oregon, and based on his linkedin profile, he's more than gainfully employed so he ought to see that email soonish....

pcxmbfj
10-27-2016, 10:46 AM

I figure I can either:
Get a new fork
Get a new wheelset
...any I'm missing?

You may be able to change the fork lowers to a 15mm TA, not an easy, if possible option.

dustyrider
10-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a new fork would be the best option. Hopefully the seller is a stand up person like the folks here!

sandyrs
10-27-2016, 12:12 PM
20 x 110? No such size.

...it's the standard for downhill forks.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fox-racing-shox-40-float-27.5-203-hsc-lsc-fit-fork-2017

And googling "Rock Shox Revelation 20x110" brings up https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Revelation-RCT3-130mm-29-Fork

druptight
10-27-2016, 01:09 PM
The good news is that the guy refunded me all of my money and was apologetic. I agreed to drop ship it for him to the next buyer if he re-lists it.

Bad new is I need to find a fork again.... DOH

sandyrs
10-27-2016, 01:09 PM
The good news is that the guy refunded me all of my money and was apologetic. I agreed to drop ship it for him to the next buyer if he re-lists it.

Bad new is I need to find a fork again.... DOH

That's awesome (relative to other possible outcomes). Good luck on the search.

DRZRM
10-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Get a Pike. Replaced my Revelation with one, WOW!!

christian
10-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I don't think you need a Pike on a Horsethief. I have a Pike on my 160mm bike and I like it, but I'm not sure I would prefer it to the Revelation on my 130mm bike. Sure, it's stiffer, but it's also heavier.

druptight
10-27-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't think you need a Pike on a Horsethief. I have a Pike on my 160mm bike and I like it, but I'm not sure I would prefer it to the Revelation on my 130mm bike. Sure, it's stiffer, but it's also heavier.

I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this built up so that I can actually ride it a bit before the snow flies. Considering what the frame cost me, spending more than double on a fork was not in the cards. While I got a good deal on that used revelation, there was nothing compelling available in the usual used spots so I picked up a brand new 2016 sektor gold RL soloair for a good price on the bay.

This way there are no lurking issues, no maintenance questions. From what I've read it's essentially the same as the revelation using slightly heavier parts and hits the middle of the 120-140 travel range the horsethief was built for at 130. Ought to do me well for a couple years on my first 29er while I figure out what I like. Used frame came with freshly replaced, never ridden new bushings and bearings throughout and it came with my first dropper post. Trying everything out at once!!

DRZRM
10-27-2016, 08:09 PM

Interesting you'd say that. I rode my Ibis Ripley with 120 rear with a Revelation for a season. Upgraded to the Pike and love the difference at the front end. I'm heavy so maybe I appreciate the stiffness, but besides the dropper, it's the best upgrade I've made on that bike.

OP, looks like a fun bike, glad you got it sorted.