PDA

View Full Version : Little OT: Float Tanks

snah
10-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Looking for some opinions from the collective, a new riding buddy is a primary investor in a float center, opening downtown Indy next month. He's offered me a chance to jump in, touting the healing, recovery, mental, etc benefits of floating. Having never "floated" and always come back to Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, wondering if anyone here has an experience or thoughts? If you've been to a float center, any suggestions for a new center and would you ever consider throwing money into one?

Thanks!

jtakeda
10-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't invest.

I went to one in Oakland near my house and didn't really find any therapeutic or relaxing qualities in it.

My lady and I both walked out of our separate tanks and agreed we threw away money.

yngpunk
10-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't invest.

I went to one in Oakland near my house and didn't really find any therapeutic or relaxing qualities in it.

My lady and I both walked out of our separate tanks and agreed we threw away money.

Float tanks aren't for everyone, and I think a large part of what you get out of it is what you put into it. It takes a conscious effort to relax in a rather small tank, which can be claustrophobic, in the dark and in near silence and "shut off" your mind. Floating isn't the same as soaking in a hot bath

At a minimum, you should give it a try. As for investing, that should be based on another set of criteria.

texbike
10-26-2016, 09:27 AM
We float at Barton Springs. $3 for an adult and $1 for kids...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Springs_Pool

It's definitely relaxing. :)

Texbike

CDollarsign
10-26-2016, 09:31 AM
My wife did this in Steamboat Springs CO and it really freaked her out. It was really expensive... not sure how many repeat customers you'd get...

batman1425
10-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Not the experience for me but the question is what is the community there like and it is something they would pay to experience? Our personal POV's are irrelevant if Indy is full of folks with wads of $20's ready to pay-to-bob.

You might look into the major health insurance providers in your area and see if this would be a service that would qualify as holistic medicine. In Wisconsin, our health insurance covered acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic services up to a certain amount/year. It was actually a pretty good value, and we used it a fair bit. People may be more likely to roll the dice if their insurance covers the out of pocket at first.