PDA

View Full Version : OT: NES CLassic !!

AngryScientist
10-25-2016, 04:46 PM
who else is jumping on board??

https://www.nintendo.com/images/page/nes-classic/nes-classic-edition-box.png

geeter
10-25-2016, 04:52 PM
I still have my OG NES but if I didn't I'd be all over it.

Hilltopperny
10-25-2016, 04:57 PM
I still have my OG NES but if I didn't I'd be all over it.

Me too. Hard to beat the classics:beer:

AngryScientist
10-25-2016, 04:58 PM
how on earth have you two kept the old ones going? we must be talking about a lot of blowing into plastic cartridges!

eBAUMANN
10-25-2016, 05:05 PM
is it out yet?
ive been planning on grabbing one along with sega's version...

Mzilliox
10-25-2016, 05:13 PM
I still have mine, and yup, duck hunt still works

FlashUNC
10-25-2016, 05:16 PM
The problem is the roster of games on it is set in stone, no ability to download or update with more classics. Decent enough list, but I wish they'd left the door open for downloads and future expansion.

drewellison
10-25-2016, 05:18 PM
:help:

what are you guys talking about?!?!?!

Cameron
10-25-2016, 05:33 PM
The problem is the roster of games on it is set in stone, no ability to download or update with more classics. Decent enough list, but I wish they'd left the door open for downloads and future expansion.

Exactly. I'd buy it if I could add games. I also still have my original and it still works great. However, I'd be happy to buy this new one if I could add games.

Makes much more sense for me to just build a Pi Zero system and run RetroPie instead and have every NES game ever made + several other systems.

brockd15
10-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Contra better be on there!

Cameron
10-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Contra better be on there!

The real question is if it is, will up up down down left right left right B A Start work???

Hilltopperny
10-25-2016, 05:57 PM
The real question is if it is, will up up down down left right left right B A Start work???

Don't forget to hit select before start!

Bostic
10-25-2016, 05:59 PM
NES is the one generation I skipped. As a kid in the 70's it was everything, Atari, Bally, Fairchild, Intellivision. Briefly the VIC-20 then YEARS upon YEARS of the Commodore 64 which tied me over until 16bit and later game systems.

p nut
10-25-2016, 06:06 PM
No Metal Gear, Kung Fu, Tecmo SUPER Bowl (not Tecmo Bowl), Blaster Master, RC Pro AM, Rygar, Contra, Bionic Commando, and probably several others I can't remember.

Who came up with the list?

Star Tropics?
Pac Man?
Ice Climber?

Really???

Hilltopperny
10-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Does it have double dragon?

Cameron
10-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Don't forget to hit select before start!

I played that one mostly one player growing up so I *always* forgot to hit select when a friend was over and wanted to play two player.

Blaster Master

Coincidentally I was just playing that game with my son this weekend on my original NES!

brockd15
10-25-2016, 06:36 PM
As a side note, I have a classic NES app on my phone with hundreds of games. It's not quite the same as playing the real thing, but it's not too bad.

phcollard
10-26-2016, 08:08 AM
OMG.

I

Want

It!

Hours of fun during the holidays. I guess the target audience is folks in their mid-40's like myself who grew up playing Super Mario.

chiasticon
10-26-2016, 08:30 AM
how on earth have you two kept the old ones going? we must be talking about a lot of blowing into plastic cartridges!I bought one off ebay about a decade ago. still works great. the key was that the original 72 pin connector got covered in dust and corrosion easily and that's why your games stopped working. so people bought up old systems, replaced the connector with a gold one, and re-sold them on eBay.

the classic system seems cool, but I'm kinda bummed the controllers aren't wireless. this wasn't a huge problem when I was a kid with a 14" television I couldn't stray too far from and still see anyway. but with a 52" TV now, I'm gonna have cables all over my living room and the console directly in the middle of it, in order to sit at a good distance with the controller. :butt:

tuxbailey
10-26-2016, 08:50 AM
M.A.M.E.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

benb
10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
I have it on my wish list.

The original NES slot loading design was flawed.. all that blowing into the cartridges was pointless, it was the contacts on the socket inside the console that were the problem. Notice it never happened again with later systems, and even earlier systems had it right. (E.x. no Atari system even in the 70s had this issue.)

ColonelJLloyd
10-26-2016, 09:28 AM
I bought one off ebay about a decade ago. still works great. the key was that the original 72 pin connector got covered in dust and corrosion easily and that's why your games stopped working. so people bought up old systems, replaced the connector with a gold one, and re-sold them on eBay.

the classic system seems cool, but I'm kinda bummed the controllers aren't wireless. this wasn't a huge problem when I was a kid with a 14" television I couldn't stray too far from and still see anyway. but with a 52" TV now, I'm gonna have cables all over my living room and the console directly in the middle of it, in order to sit at a good distance with the controller. :butt:

Over a decade ago I went through a multi-week phase on eBay buying a console and lots of games. It was fun and it's in a box somewhere. We're not a gaming household, but bought a Wii several years ago after a fun night of drinking and shooting wildlife on one with friends.

Best thing about the Wii for me was the one week I played the sh*t out of Punch Out. You can download most of the classic NES games via the app for $5. I did this with Double Dragon and played it for about a half hour until the nostalgia wore thin.

eippo1
10-26-2016, 10:28 AM
It would need to have Contra for me to consider it. And probably Top Gun. Although it does have Ghosts and Goblins. Loved that game.

p nut
10-26-2016, 10:57 AM
... I did this with Double Dragon and played it for about a half hour until the nostalgia wore thin.

I've got a feeling this will happen fairly quick for me as well. I can't remember the last time I played a video game (even on my phone)--due to both lack of desire and available free time. I don't have 8 hours on a Saturday to devote to Zelda anymore.

p nut
10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Does it have double dragon?

It has Double Dragon II. Here is the list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/technology/nintendo-nes.html?_r=0

thirdgenbird
10-26-2016, 06:26 PM
I am absolutely in. I just sold a big box of NES stuff to fund it. The old stuff may be more authentic, but both units were flakey. I was given a very good price for everything I had, well in excess of what the new version will cost. I will have a few less games, but the assortment is actually better. Add reliability and an hdmi output and it was an easy choice.