PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Crankset movement/ BB noise troubleshooting

TronnyJenkins
10-25-2016, 06:50 AM
I'm still learning in my wrenching, so some direction would be appreciated.

My '15 Felt F3 gives me an intermittent BB ticking, usually when laying more power down. I've had issues with the bb30 before in the way of a tick when some dirt or something got in there, but by chance I grabbed the crankset and pushed the arms down and "in" and found a minute movement. It's mostly apparent on the drive side which is somewhat puzzling. To clarify, it's a side to side , not up and down movement as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

oldpotatoe
10-25-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm still learning in my wrenching, so some direction would be appreciated.

My '15 Felt F3 gives me an intermittent BB ticking, usually when laying more power down. I've had issues with the bb30 before in the way of a tick when some dirt or something got in there, but by chance I grabbed the crankset and pushed the arms down and "in" and found a minute movement. It's mostly apparent on the drive side which is somewhat puzzling. To clarify, it's a side to side , not up and down movement as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Take LH arm off..clean/lube all(pry seals off, grease in there, seals back on)..put LH arm on..make sure you have appropriate shims, etc for your frame, BB type and adapter(since shimano doesn't make a BB30 BB)..tighten LH arm with proper tool, torque pinch bolts to spec.

TronnyJenkins
10-25-2016, 07:00 AM
Take LH arm off..clean/lube all(pry seals off, grease in there, seals back on)..put LH arm on..make sure you have appropriate shims, etc for your frame, BB type and adapter(since shimano doesn't make a BB30 BB)..tighten LH arm with proper tool, torque pinch bolts to spec.

Thanks! I'll do this.

TronnyJenkins
11-18-2016, 05:02 PM
So I finally got the little tool from Shimano for the plastic crank bolt and did this today. I think the movement and sound is actually coming from a worn FSA reducer. Makes sense I guess since the bearings are hard stainless and the reducer is aluminum. I just didn't consider the reducer a consumable.