PDA

View Full Version : Hiroshima’s Epic, 70-Kilometer Bike*Route

cd_davis
10-24-2016, 08:32 AM
This is a good read.

http://www.meridian.net/a/site/2016/9/26/13059164/japan-tours-cycling-longform-essay

Are you a Cyclist or a Bike Rider?

weisan
10-24-2016, 08:41 AM
"The world, I realize, is split into two kinds of people: cyclists — goal-focused and ambitious — and bike riders — relaxed wanderers happy to let chance direct them at an unregulated speed."

I guess I belong to the latter group. :D

72gmc
10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
I was in Hiroshima this August with my family. Saw quite a few cycling tour-related advertisements. Despite the roaring heat, I was wishing I'd planned to ride.

deechee
10-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Awesome! My wife and I often joke if we'll ever see her brother since he moved to the Hiroshima area. I guess this would make a nice trip if I ever get myself out there. Thanks! (He's young and irresponsible; we'd have to go there for another reason and *hope* he'll make time to see us.)

ps. I'm a bike rider when I'm on vacation. I rented a bike while I was at Miyajima back in 2010, and it was one of the most memorable bike rides, mostly because we could get away from everyone! Its a small island near Hiroshima but outside the tourist spots, there are many beautiful, quiet beaches that are accessible. This was in Oct/Nov, after the crazy summer heat. No way I'd go during the roaring summer heat. That includes September.

72gmc
10-24-2016, 01:38 PM
A few of the reasons we'd go back:

The Peace Park and museum
Looking across the river at the A-bomb dome, at night, next to people from all over the world, no one saying a word
The sweet older lady who said, "We are glad you are here" to my family in the hotel elevator
Okonomiyaki (yum)
The Carp!
Hondori Street
Bicycle riding (OK this one is just me)

Mzilliox
10-24-2016, 01:40 PM
this looks rad, my wife and I will be bike touring Japan next october and are looking for some fun rides to do.