PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Worth Recommendations this time, please...

ORMojo
10-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Just found out I'm heading to Ft. Worth next for about a week. Last month you folks gave great recommendations for eats in Charleston, and, frankly, my 10 minutes of research so far doesn't make Ft. Worth look as promising restaurant-wise.

I'll be staying downtown, no car, not much free time, but I am a fast and avid walker, so don't mind 3-5 mile radius. Skip the steakhouse recommendations (yes, I know it is cow town) - I eat red meat 2-3 times per month tops, and just happened to help my father-in-law grill about 30 huge steaks last night for about 10 members of a nearby small college football team (and family) that 2 of our cousins play on!

Let me know what you have - there has to be some awesome/unique Tex/Mex, Mexican, etc. around downtown . . . I hope!

1happygirl
10-23-2016, 11:38 AM
For Mexican fare.

http://joets.com Joe T. Garcias

the atmosphere great. I admit I don't know as much as others so check it out for yourself. Also around the corner is an even more authentic place (can't remember name-be prepared to use your Spanish exclusively)

Never been to Charleston but from the web, I think your initial assessment correct.
Charleston 1 FTW?

Cicli
10-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Sorry this place has red meat. I like the Hard8 in the DFW area.

justaute
10-23-2016, 12:15 PM
ahhhh...I think I can contribute at least 2 cents here. I recently moved out of FW after living there for 11+ years.

* Joe T's -- not really a big fan. Food is average at best, IMO, of course. That said, it is an institution there.

I know you are downtown, but if you don't mind uber/lyft, there are several places to go just minutes out of downtown. Downtown has the legacy staple of restaurants including Reata, Razzoo's (Cajun), Taverna (Italian), Daddy Jack's (seafood), etc. To get something different, and really good, you should go just north or south of downtown.

** North
- Lonesome Dove (good gamey stuff); just a bit too hyped, but still very good and different. Owner/chef is very well known. Definitely worth a visit.

*** South (This is my favorite area); near/on Magnolia street
- Nonna Tata (Italian); BYOBB; a tiny place that is cash-only. Mostly northern Italy and home-style cooking. Only 6 tables inside, I think.
- Lili's Bistro (Modern American); pretty decent food
- Ellerbe Fine Foods (Modern southern affairs); definitely one of the best
- The Bearded Lady (pub); lots of beers on tap
- Chimera Brewing company; craft beers and gourmet pizza

*** West (7th street area); this area has been an up-&-coming area. Lots of new restaurants, but in general, not my cup of tea. Though, I do like a few places near the Museum District, which is just on the west-end of the 7th street area.
- Velvet Taco: pretty good
- Le Cep (French); never been there, but have heard good things.
- World of Beer; another craft beer place
- Saint-Emilion; a French bistro style place housed in a "house"

ORMojo
10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Thanks, that is a great list to work from. I also just found out that the hotel has a 10-mile radius shuttle, so I should be good to go to any of these.

jmoore
10-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Dutch's Burgers near TCU is really good. I just ate there on Sunday afternoon.

evo111@comcast.net
10-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Try Little Red Wasp. Not a chain, not too fussy or fancy but decent quality in the downtown area. They do brunch, lunch and dinner and have a decent bar. Fort Worth also has a few food truck parks that are reasonable if you like food trucks.