PDA

View Full Version : What If Atmo?

atmo
07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
personalities aside -

could a inspirational streak similar to lance's cancer stuff
occur for floyd's peeps now that he is spotlight worthy?
i meeeeeean - will/could young mennonites take a cue
from this and 1) fly the coop, and/or 2) find an even deeper
inner strength to pursue personal indulgences atmo? what
effect might this have on his (former) community? and what
are hip (and other body parts) replacement candidates going
to take away from landis' successes?

these are serious questions.

J.Greene
07-20-2006, 01:16 PM
personalities aside -

could a inspirational streak similar to lance's cancer stuff
occur for floyd's peeps now that he is spotlight worthy?
i meeeeeean - will/could young mennonites take a cue
from this and 1) fly the coop, and/or 2) find an even deeper
inner strength to pursue personal indulgences atmo? what
effect might this have on his (former) community? and what
are hip (and other body parts) replacement candidates going
to take away from landis' successes?

Depends on if he leaves his wife and kids and starts dating a rock star atmo

JG

Tom
07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I bet people looking at new parts might feel better if he gets it done and comes back. I know that otherwise active people put this kind of thing off until they can't be active any more and then it becomes that much harder to be active again afterward. If you know the thing will hold up you might go at it sooner and try to bridge over while you still can.

72gmc
07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I bet people looking at new parts might feel better if he gets it done and comes back.

i agree with tom. it seems a very recent phenomenon that active people will consider joint replacement for the purpose of remaining active. win, place, or show, floyd's tdf could be a very empowering (eek, buzzword, sorry) event for people facing a replacement.

i know nothing about mennonites. but it's an interesting idea. perhaps leaving the farm for the logo-festooned, obsession-driven world of the protour becomes a shining path for other mennonite kinder to follow?

shinomaster
07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.mennoniteusa.org/mennos/index.html

swoop
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
you have to want the celebrity thang. it comes not from your accomplishments but from your management and pr team. it takes a lot of effort. i don't think floyd is that guy. he also isn't sexy like that.

normal people don't give a sh*t about the tdf and have no concept of what happened other than some american dude might win.
i think the number of oln or vd or whatever it is viewers is something like 200,000.

i've lived in lalala los angeles long enough.. had so many talent agents as clients and friends that have gone famous for wee bits of time to know that it's always about wanting the fame and perpetuating it and having the right people do that for you.

the only shortcut would be if post tour... floyd visid the whitehouse and shot the pres... or adopted a dozen kids from the sub continent and then married brad pitt in a 'secret' wedding.
it will be a 5-15 second item during the sports broadcast after all the baseball crap. even the local news sport dudes don't undertsand cycling. the anchor girl will make some cute comment about it and then it's to the nfl draft or some such oir some jowly dude that's on the studio's payroll giving some horrible movie the thumbs up.

as for the mennonites... they don't care. media wise they are just an easy story to make some sort of floyd mythology and i don't think they are a profit driven religion as much as some of the others (is dollyworld a church?).. it is a very american mythology and therefore accessible and easily consumed. boy comes from a strange world to america pop culture. rejects fundamentalist veiws and wins.
it's just an easy concept to wrap around and sell.. but it's not like overcoming cancer.. which is sexier.
i think lance needed fame. i don't think floyd needs much of anything.
in my vision.. a few months down the road floyd and zabriskie will just be lighting thier farts with a lighter in some frat like room in spain. floyd will do letterman and or jay leno and just look at them like they are asses.
did you catch him while frankie was trying to figure out a question to ask. that was hilarious.

floyd is the smarter than you frat boy that never went to class and just dissassembled your car and but it in the shower but never fessed up.
atmo

72gmc
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
not bad, swoop. one correction--the cute anchor girl will make an insipid comment. all else as previously stated.

i do still think this is a positive event for joint replacement patients. even if they're not cycling fans they are a "special interest group" and will likely get the news through the same resources they use to research treatment.

zeroking17
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM

I assume you mean "serious" as in

Yahoo Serious (http://www.weht.net/WEHT/Yahoo_Serious.html)

Jiwa Jiwa
07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
please just let him be rocking this clean. -ish.

all else good and noble and cool will follow.

JohnS
07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Back in 2002, I went on a hiking trip through the Scottish Highlands. There was a female 60+ retired university PE instructor on the same trip. She had had both knees replaced and didn't have much problem keeping up with us "youngsters".

swoop
07-20-2006, 02:47 PM
there's a little clip on saunders site clipped from oln about floyd trading the yellow jersey on the way down the mountain with a spectator for a sixer of beer.

BoulderGeek
07-20-2006, 02:56 PM
My Mom lives in Lancaster, Pa (which is the "city" to Ephrata, where Floyd grew up).

She says the local paper has front-page pictures of Floyd's Mother walking several miles to a neighbor's house with a TV, to see her son on the TdF.

The local papers in Lancaster are all claiming Floyd as a local son, and pumping his Lancaster connection, and that he went to Conestoga Vally high school there. It sure seems like Floyd himself wants nothing to do with the area he (and I) grew up in.

Though, as I previously posted, when we were at the 2002 Tour, Floyd was way cool to us and wanted to take messages and schwag back to Ephrata. <shrug>

manet
07-20-2006, 03:01 PM

swoop
07-20-2006, 03:35 PM
on the nytimes online this whole tdf stuff is in a smaller font and underneath the Bonds indictment stuff. this is no bigger than world's strongest man contest or the average 'real people' episode from 1978.

except for you and me....

davids
07-20-2006, 04:05 PM
there's a little clip on saunders site clipped from oln about floyd trading the yellow jersey on the way down the mountain with a spectator for a sixer of beer.
URL, por favor?

swoop
07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
eriksaunders.com

neverraced
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Depends on if he leaves his wife and kids and starts dating a rock star atmo

JG

Hey, go easy on Lance. He left his wife and kids so he could spend more time with his family.

J.Greene
07-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey, go easy on Lance. He left his wife and kids so he could spend more time with his family.
How come every time he says he is enjoying spending time with his kids, he's somewhere other than Austin? Matter of fact, is he ever in Austin?

JG

Birddog
07-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Swoop saiddid you catch him while frankie was trying to figure out a question to ask. that was hilarious.
Frankie's been doing this gig for what, 4 or 5 years now? He still can't get past his note cards, no spontaneity at all. Somebody needs to tell him that all an interview is, is a simple conversation. It's not like Floyd is a simple yes or no guy, he can speak in complete sentences.

Birddog

swoop
07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
i hear frankie's a very nice/cool dood. he did great when he was jumping up and down and getting dowsed with dutch beer.

floyd's answers were friggin great because they would beat frankie to the next question. you could hear him become a deer in the headlights... and floyd was just selling it with his eyes.

i'm sure when the cameras were off, frankie had something to say that made sense.... along the lines of "fugyeah, that was awesome dude". and then i'm sure they both flipped off lance and giggled like little girls.

rwsaunders
07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
www.bensaunders.com

Grant McLean
07-20-2006, 10:03 PM
At least Frankie has credibility.
When he finally gets that question out, I can't help
thinking he actually knows the answer already.

g