PDA

View Full Version : OT 2015 Tacoma quad cab 5ft bed caps

Hilltopperny
10-21-2016, 05:25 PM
I recently bought a certified used Tacoma quad cab 4x4 and would like some recommendations on caps for my truck. I want to be able to store bikes for trips and also have a place for my bulldogges to ride without them drooling and shedding in the cabin. Any insight would be greatly appreciated:beer:

fourflys
10-21-2016, 05:41 PM
subscribed as I just picked up the same back in May (2WD)... I was thinking about a 3 piece tonnneau, but any thinking about a cap as well...

BTW- I LOVE my truck!

Hilltopperny
10-21-2016, 05:49 PM
subscribed as I just picked up the same back in May (2WD)... I was thinking about a 3 piece tonnneau, but any thinking about a cap as well...

BTW- I LOVE my truck!

I love mine as well! With the new house and location (just outside the adirondacks) my new wife told me to trade in my hatchback and get a truck. I had been searching and shopping around for months and finally found the right truck at the right price. Very pleased so far with the truck for its intended purposes, but need a cap that can cover my bikes and dogs. I originally thought about the three panel cover, but my dogs shed and drool while riding in a vehicle and would prefer a proper cap.

adub
10-21-2016, 06:04 PM
I have the 6' bed- If you are over 6' tall and you put a camper shell on it you may need to go with the higher topper because of seat height. I have a 2x4 that runs the width of the box with 2 QR mounts on it, and one thru-axle mount in the middle. You will be tight on length with a 5' bed for transporting bikes with a cap, I'd bet that a relaxed geo road bike or fat bike wouldn't fit with my transport method as mentioned above.

Here is the cap I am referencing to that I have on my Taco;

http://capandhitch.piwigo.com/uploads/6/5/c/65cy4bg0pb//2012/05/11/20120511044313-cd9687b0.jpg

duncanknudsen
10-21-2016, 06:17 PM
I also have a Tacoma and I just went through this annoying process.

There are a lot of manufactures out there. Here are a few:
Leer - http://www.leer.com/
ARE - http://www.4are.com/
Century - http://www.centurycaps.com/

There are other manufacturers, but that's what I was finding in my area.

Leer and Century are essentially the same, in fact, I think they are the same manufacturer with different branding. ARE are different (some say they are stronger, but at a price). When if comes to fitting caps, knowing the size of your truck bed is important. If you are trying to fit bikes, I would suggest truck caps with elevated ceiling like the ARE TW or MX, LEER 188 or 122, and Century High C or T-class. Your bulldogs won't really need the extra head space, but definitely find something with ample aeration for the pooches.

There are 2 ways you can do this.
1. If you are trying to save money, search craigslist and local truck caps supply stores for used caps. This can be dubious to find the size color and specifications that you need but you can save over 1000 bucks.

2. Shop online, find a cap you like, and get a quote from a local supplier. They will go over all your options, but you'll be spending between $1500 to 2500.

I scoured the internet for about 4 months before I gave up and paid for a new truck cap.

Good luck!

Hilltopperny
10-21-2016, 06:43 PM
I also have a Tacoma and I just went through this annoying process.

There are a lot of manufactures out there. Here are a few:
Leer - http://www.leer.com/
ARE - http://www.4are.com/
Century - http://www.centurycaps.com/

There are other manufacturers, but that's what I was finding in my area.

Leer and Century are essentially the same, in fact, I think they are the same manufacturer with different branding. ARE are different (some say they are stronger, but at a price). When if comes to fitting caps, knowing the size of your truck bed is important. If you are trying to fit bikes, I would suggest truck caps with elevated roofs like the ARE TW or MX, LEER 188 or 122, and Century High C or T-class. Your bulldogs won't really need the extra head space, but definitely find something with ample aeration for the pooches.

There are 2 ways you can do this.
1. If you are trying to save money, search craigslist and local truck caps supply stores for used caps. This can be dubious to find the size color and specifications that you need but you can save over 1000 bucks.

2. Shop online, find a cap you like, and get a quote from a local supplier. They will go over all your options, but you'll be spending between $1500 to 2500.

I scoured the internet for about 4 months before I gave up and paid for a new truck cap.

Good luck!

Thanks! I will begin my search! I am probably going to go with the extra space as I'd like to fit my bikes and give ample room for the dogs while they are in there. Going to try and find a used one to save on cash. The truck is black so it shouldn't be too tough, but if need be I'll just pony up for new. Going to have to budget for the next month or so, so no real rush.

Hilltopperny
10-21-2016, 06:46 PM
I have the 6' bed- If you are over 6' tall and you put a camper shell on it you may need to go with the higher topper because of seat height. I have a 2x4 that runs the width of the box with 2 QR mounts on it, and one thru-axle mount in the middle. You will be tight on length with a 5' bed for transporting bikes with a cap, I'd bet that a relaxed geo road bike or fat bike wouldn't fit with my transport method as mentioned
Here is the cap I am referencing to that I have on my Taco;

http://capandhitch.piwigo.com/uploads/6/5/c/65cy4bg0pb//2012/05/11/20120511044313-cd9687b0.jpg

Thanks! I'm 5'8" and my largest bike is a 55cm so hopefully they will be able to fit in the short bed! I will try out some configurations this weekend and see what works.

paredown
10-21-2016, 09:18 PM
I picked up a used cap for my truck--relatively rare long bed 2nd gen Tundra--on eBay and drove out to pick it up. Got it fairly cheap.

I had one prior false start, when I drove a ways to look at a Craigslist cap that was not the right size for my truck, but I still appreciated not paying retail, even though it took a while for the right one to turn up.

Another thought may be a local dealer--we had one (until recently) just across the border in NJ on Rte 17--he specialized in all things cap related, and trailer stuff. He'd always have a few used ones around for sale, so there may be a similar place around you.

djg21
10-21-2016, 10:19 PM
I recently bought a certified used Tacoma quad cab 4x4 and would like some recommendations on caps for my truck. I want to be able to store bikes for trips and also have a place for my bulldogges to ride without them drooling and shedding in the cabin. Any insight would be greatly appreciated:beer:

I have a Tacoma Crew Cab with a 5 ft bed and use an ARE MX cap, which is a mid-high.
http://www.4are.com/mobile/product/mx.xhtml.

I use bungees to secure bikes against the sides of the bed/cap (front wheels off and backed in). MTBs are a little tougher, and have to be angled in to close the cap's back gate. The mid-high is a must if you want to fit bikes in upright without removing seat posts.

I lock the bikes inside my locked truck bed with a Master Python Cable lock, because even locked, the cap can be broken into fairly easily. The windows are darkly tinted however, so it's difficult to see in unless you're pretty close.

I tried to find a used cap, but it's tough to find them in good shape, and by the time you transport the thing and paint it to match your truck, you might as well buy new. My cap was about $1,800. It came with a carpet liner and inside lighting, and is Yakima-rack ready, though I never installed one. I also ordered two clothing hangers to hang my crap and gear from. I have to get those installed this week.

My two Golden Retrievers ride in the back seat, on a hammock-styled seat cover I got at PetSmart, which works great. To be careful, I keep a second blanket style seat-cover under the hammock.

You can get Wet Okole seat covers which supposedly are great, but they're hard to find used, and pretty expensive new.

If I was to get another Tacoma, I do a full-sized bed, but I needed the crew cab for my dogs and the crew cab with a long bed wouldn't fit in my garage.

Have fun with your truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike V
10-21-2016, 10:50 PM
I just ordered an ARE Z Series last week for my truck.

This video helped me with my choice. I didn't know it at the time and found out the person that made the video was local. I called him to order from him. He asked me where is was from. He referred me to the other dealer more local. Said it would be better for me if warranty work came up. When it comes time for other items I'll be making the drive to him in the future.

https://youtu.be/e3HR4Yz6LdY

Hilltopperny
10-22-2016, 04:44 AM
Found a color matched used on Craigslist last night! Going to contact him today and make sure its available, but it seems I have lucked out on my first night searching as its only about 1 hour away:beer:

p nut
10-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Just make sure you get one with windoors.

Hilltopperny
10-22-2016, 07:07 PM

Found a z series ARE for a reasonable deal on craigslist and made an offer. Find out on Monday whether or not the offer will fly.

djg21
10-23-2016, 02:12 PM

I don't have windoors. I thought it kind of senseless with a short bed. I did the rear venting windows with screens in the event I ever had to leave my dogs in it.

p nut
10-23-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't have windoors. I thought it kind of senseless with a short bed. I did the rear venting windows with screens in the event I ever had to leave my dogs in it.

Depends on your usage. For mostly camping trips/outings with friends or kids, they're extremely useful for me. Even with a short bed (mine's 5.5'). Quick access to the back without having to climb into the bed and wade through cargo is awesome.

belopsky
10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I like my Leer 180

commonguy001
10-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Found a z series ARE for a reasonable deal on craigslist and made an offer. Find out on Monday whether or not the offer will fly.

I had an ARE Z series on my F150 and it was pretty handy to have.
I'll add - if you don't have a back-up camera (my 2012 150 didn't) you'll want to add one. Backing up with a topper/cap is a royal PITA.

Hilltopperny
10-24-2016, 06:02 PM
I had an ARE Z series on my F150 and it was pretty handy to have.
I'll add - if you don't have a back-up camera (my 2012 150 didn't) you'll want to add one. Backing up with a topper/cap is a royal PITA.

Picking it up tomorrow and the truck already has a back up camera. Looking forward to trying it out and getting it for what I'd consider a steal. :beer: