PDA

View Full Version : 06 Eurus wheel problems, need help

kokies
07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I picked up a set of the new 06 eurus wheels a few months back and have only put about 400 miles on them. Last weekend for the second time I had a blow out. Not just any blow out, the bead of the tire comes off of the rim lip and the tube forces its self between the bead and the rims and blows out. This happed both times (once front and once rear) on the flats and did not involve hitting a pot hole or anything. I am running vittoria corsa’s, which cane off my 05 eurus, and never had a flat.

My question to you all is has anyone else had this problem? I can take the whole tire of at one with no effort, is that normal? Did campy change something in the rim profile?

Thanks for the help.

EdK
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I have had a Vittoria Corsa blow off a Ksyrium twice... Not the same rim obviously but...... I have used Conti's and Michelins on '06 eurus no problems. Conti's are so hard to put on '06 Eurus (or any Campy clincher for that matter) I doubt they would ever blow off.

swoop
07-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I picked up a set of the new 06 eurus wheels a few months back and have only put about 400 miles on them. Last weekend for the second time I had a blow out. Not just any blow out, the bead of the tire comes off of the rim lip and the tube forces its self between the bead and the rims and blows out. This happed both times (once front and once rear) on the flats and did not involve hitting a pot hole or anything. I am running vittoria corsa’s, which cane off my 05 eurus, and never had a flat.

My question to you all is has anyone else had this problem? I can take the whole tire of at one with no effort, is that normal? Did campy change something in the rim profile?

Thanks for the help.

get rid of the plastic rim strip. (do they use rim strips on the new ones?) and put in cloth tape one and then.. use michelins. wrestle them on and the problem should be solved.

EdK
07-20-2006, 01:51 PM
No rim strip they are just like Ksyriums....................

dgauthier
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
How much pressure are you using? I once had a Veloflex Pave blow off an Open Pro rim in exactly the manner you describe. I discovered that my track pump's pressure gauge was starting to read wonky, causing me to exceed the recommended maximum pressure for the tire by 10 or 15 lbs. That's all it takes . . .

kokies
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I usually run between 100 and 120. The first blow out was at the end of a quick 15mile ride, and the second was in the first 1000yards of another ride.

I guess I should read the manual better. :(

ERDR
07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
i have both the new and old eurus wheels, and no problems with either, currently running conti 4000's.
i don't think it's the rim, probably the tire +/- your pressure.
s.

Grant McLean
07-20-2006, 04:42 PM
For sure, the Vittoria tires fit loose on the rim compared to any other.

If you take the tire, and flatten it out end to end like a big lasagna noodle,
you'll find that the Vittoria's are almost 1cm longer than a veloflex.

This still shouldn't be a problem, in theory. I've got the same combo as
you, no problems. Make sure you have the tire seated before fully inflating.
If the bead looks like it's not sitting into the rim, it's going to come off.
It's the tire spec that's at issue, not the rim.

G