PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the Corvallis OR area?

bcm119
04-06-2004, 01:33 PM
I will likely be moving up to Corvallis in the next month. I will have 1 great job, one great bike, and zero friends. From what I can tell, while its not the paradise of Santa Barbara, it offers some great riding, and the people seem very active. Theres an incredible network of trails around too, so I may have to buy a cross bike. Any opinions of this area, or recommendations for rides?

shinomaster
04-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I live in POrtland...aka Stumptown aka the rose city also known as bridge town..and the Peoples Republic of Portland.

alembical
04-06-2004, 03:20 PM
I am in Portland as well, check out this thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1952 (hopefully that will work, but it is not likely - so check out thread to Alyson re: Member locations). You can do an advance search, but unfortuantely, no one has put down that they are from Corvallis. You can search for Oregon and see that there are some from Portland, but none have put their location as Corvallis, all though most people have left location blank.

Alembical

vaxn8r
04-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Bicycle heaven as long as you're willing to ride in the rain. The upside of that is there is no prettier place or climate than summertime and then early fall in the Willamette Valley.

There are hundreds of rides around Corvallis with varying degrees of mountains, hills or flats. People pay big money to do rides not near as good as what you'll get to do every day leaving from your front door. No joke!

I'll be racing up north of Philomath this weekend...your neighborhood.

lithiapark
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Gore-tex! Went to undergraduate school there, you can ride all year round but you'll need to learn to love the rain. Rarely too cold or too hot. Check out a ride to Mary's Peak, west of Corvallis. 4300' if I remember well. Corvallis is probably 600', or less if I remember right. Not the greatest of road surfaces, but the view is great. Did it on my Sturmey-Archer 3-speed, I was not an hi-milage biker then, a 50-60 miler was the max. To the East, find the McKenzie Pass road, the first paved car road over the Cascades . It is too twisty and doesn't have good connections for most motorists tastes, beautiful mountain scenery. Lots of farm roads down in the valley, not a lot of traffic on many of them, I-5 attracts most of the North-South traffic.

Welcome to Oregon!

gasman
04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Just make sure you get a fendered bike and some rain gear. Like they say-"If it ain't raining ,you ain't training."But,seriously there are plenty of good days, and the summers here are spectacular.
Lots of beautiful rides here in the Willamette valley.Vaxn8r has kicked my ass on many of them.