PDA

View Full Version : Carbon repair around NYC

DRZRM
10-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Buddy damaged an October ti-carbon bike I picked up for him here (short carbon top tube has a crack). I remember hearing good things about Ruckus for carbon repair, and he's willing to ship out west if needed, but he is in NYC and I wondered if there was a local place that could avoid him packing and shipping altogether.

Figured if anyone would know it would be you guys.

Thanks

kramnnim
10-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Contact Cyclocarbon, might be cheaper than a local place, even if you have to deal with shipping.

Satellite
10-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Calfee. I also had a broken carbon frame I did all kinds of research everything kept coming up Calfee. Bite the bullet and ship it to Calfee. Iam in Colorado the frame went to California then Florida for a total repaint then back to Co!orado for the final build. It took a while to get to ride it but the wait was worth it. Calfee has a 10 year repair warranty how can you beat that?

Bob Ross
10-19-2016, 10:25 AM
contact Sean at SPCarbon (http://www.spcarbon.com/make-contact/) and ask for his recommendations.

ANAO
10-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Paul Carbonara in Brooklyn is steak sauce. A buddy of mine had him redo his superset and said it rides exactly the same. Also, he's wicked fast on the bike, which has absolutely no bearing on anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
10-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Contact Cyclocarbon, might be cheaper than a local place, even if you have to deal with shipping.

I used Cyclocarbon in the past year, he does good quality work IMO. He had the frame repaired within a week and on its way back to me all for well under the quotes from several other repair shops.

Lewis Moon
10-19-2016, 02:04 PM

I've dealt with them. Nice, workmanlike job.

zzy
10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
contact Sean at SPCarbon (http://www.spcarbon.com/make-contact/) and ask for his recommendations.

Seriously??

r_mutt
10-19-2016, 05:02 PM
Paul Carbonara in Brooklyn is steak sauce. A buddy of mine had him redo his superset and said it rides exactly the same. Also, he's wicked fast on the bike, which has absolutely no bearing on anything.

i emailed him a while back and didn't get an answer. is he still in business?

Bob Ross
10-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Seriously??

Should I have included a smiley, or a dancing banana?

I don't actually know anything about SPCarbon other than that they sell carbon frames, and that they're in NYC. But I find it hard to believe that anyone who sells carbon frames hasn't been asked this question dozens of times before, and so I figured they might be a useful resource rather than just blindly stabbing out on one's own. Or asking a bunch of yokels on an internet forum.

Is there something else about SPCarbon I should know before I make this mistake again?

fuzzalow
10-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Seriously??

Is there something else about SPCarbon I should know before I make this mistake again?

I agree that there oughtta be something more to go on than the reply of "seriously??" which is assumed to be delivered with an aire of incredulity. Like the whole world knows this guy sucks except possibly Bob Ross, me and any number of people that read the reply Seriously?? C'mon, gimme something to work with here, there might be a world of knowledge that exists outside of your own solipsism.

I dunno SPCarbon from a hole in the wall. But I do know that if I'm gonna take a dig at somebody I'm gonna tell you why.

ANAO
10-19-2016, 11:41 PM
Should I have included a smiley, or a dancing banana?

I don't actually know anything about SPCarbon other than that they sell carbon frames, and that they're in NYC. But I find it hard to believe that anyone who sells carbon frames hasn't been asked this question dozens of times before, and so I figured they might be a useful resource rather than just blindly stabbing out on one's own. Or asking a bunch of yokels on an internet forum.

I met Sean in August. He's plenty nice, even if his marketing is a bit misleading.

* learn what "custom" means.
* learn why you can't put a US flag on your bike, just because you sell bikes in the US.

ANAO
10-19-2016, 11:42 PM
i emailed him a while back and didn't get an answer. is he still in business?
Let me reach out through Facebook and circle back. AFAIK, yes.

ANAO
10-20-2016, 03:10 AM
Let me reach out through Facebook and circle back. AFAIK, yes.

Here you go. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/949a07c17b573e9ad77a90904d4b1327.jpg

DRZRM
10-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Thanks man, I passed that info on. My buddy is in Brooklyn, so I'm sure he'll reach out.

Here you go. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/949a07c17b573e9ad77a90904d4b1327.jpg

r_mutt
10-20-2016, 06:51 AM
:beer::beer::beer:

zzy
10-20-2016, 05:50 PM
I agree that there oughtta be something more to go on than the reply of "seriously??" which is assumed to be delivered with an aire of incredulity. Like the whole world knows this guy sucks except possibly Bob Ross, me and any number of people that read the reply C'mon, gimme something to work with here, there might be a world of knowledge that exists outside of your own solipsism.

I dunno SPCarbon from a hole in the wall. But I do know that if I'm gonna take a dig at somebody I'm gonna tell you why.

His marketing is about the most dishonest I've ever seen in the industry. He slaps his logos on crap he orders from China, and pretends as tho he designed it. It's *disgusting* that he puts 'handmade in NYC' stickers on his frames when he only *assembles* them here, which is a total slap in the face to real builders who struggle to survive in NYC *actually* handbuilding frames. He keeps posting on CL looking for "interns" too, which is a joke (they will obviously be unpaid employees). His bikes are crap with junk reflective housing, his wheels are rebranded garbage with terrible braking surfaces while he pretendes he designs them (even claimed to have a FEA engineer on site). When he first hit the scene all his bikes were garbage Chnese Alu Track and road frames which he implicitly tried to pass of as made of carbon with HUGE 'SP CARBON' logos. His 'sexy lady with a bike' marketing is gross too. They were asking $1300 for fixies that looked worse than anything from Purefix/Throne/etc and about 8 years behind the trend. When he had a spot at the jumble he had his employees to dishonestly sell his 'handmade in NYC bikes' and try to make people think the bikes they just bought were dangerous because they didn't have his patented reflective housing (I personally witnessed both).

I can go on and on, suffice it to say he's about the last person on earth I'd ask about carbon repair.

fuzzalow
10-20-2016, 06:44 PM
His marketing is about the most dishonest I've ever seen in the industry. He slaps his logos on crap he orders from China, and pretends as tho he designed it. It's *disgusting* that he puts 'handmade in NYC' stickers on his frames when he only *assembles* them here, which is a total slap in the face to real builders who struggle to survive in NYC *actually* handbuilding frames. He keeps posting on CL looking for "interns" too, which is a joke (they will obviously be unpaid employees). His bikes are crap with junk reflective housing, his wheels are rebranded garbage with terrible braking surfaces while he pretendes he designs them (even claimed to have a FEA engineer on site). When he first hit the scene all his bikes were garbage Chnese Alu Track and road frames which he implicitly tried to pass of as made of carbon with HUGE 'SP CARBON' logos. His 'sexy lady with a bike' marketing is gross too. They were asking $1300 for fixies that looked worse than anything from Purefix/Throne/etc and about 8 years behind the trend. When he had a spot at the jumble he had his employees to dishonestly sell his 'handmade in NYC bikes' and try to make people think the bikes they just bought were dangerous because they didn't have his patented reflective housing (I personally witnessed both).

I can go on and on, suffice it to say he's about the last person on earth I'd ask about carbon repair.

OK. Of course I have no position on the claims or veracity of what is presented here but I appreciate you making a case so that I can at least be forewarned. I detect a trace of exasperation in the tone your post and I can only say to you: dontworryboudit! You can make your case to protect your friends from what you think is a bad business practice and then it is up to them to act as they see fit - you can only do your best and you can't save the world.

I'd add that as a New Yorker and a NYC resident, you kinda hear and see all kinds of fluff & stuff get tossed about all the time. Every person: slick, informed, dumb 'n duped, con-artist or even legitimate gets what they have to say, or do, or sell, or advocate - all mixed into the intensity of what exists at all levels in a great, crazy city like New York. This will always persist and it exists at all levels - the average Manhattan restaurant has a life-span of 6-months because the pressure cooker of NYC forces out the sub-standard. So too does all the craziness of NYC causes everyone living/working here to raise their game too. Sinatra: "If I can make it here I'd make it anywhere...". SPCarbon, time will tell.

Part of the psychic overhead of living here is having both the personal and professional bulls__t meter always "ON" and sorting through the signal-to-noise amidst the cacophony.

Thanks for your response. Fascinating stuff.

SoCalSteve
10-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Buddy damaged an October ti-carbon bike I picked up for him here (short carbon top tube has a crack). I remember hearing good things about Ruckus for carbon repair, and he's willing to ship out west if needed, but he is in NYC and I wondered if there was a local place that could avoid him packing and shipping altogether.

Figured if anyone would know it would be you guys.

Thanks

I'd pass on Ruckus. You'd do better elsewhere. If you are going to ship to the west coast, I believe there is a gentleman close to Calfee who does as good of work as Calfee for less $$$. I wish I had his name for you...sorry. Someone here will know if that is your plan.

Again, I would not recommend Ruckus.

Good luck!

lhuerta
10-20-2016, 07:55 PM
I'd pass on Ruckus. You'd do better elsewhere......Again, I would not recommend Ruckus.

Steve, please share more details?? I was about to send something to them but would appreciate hearing ur experience with them. They are certainly the most expensive (from what I have gauged) yet they appear to do good work. What has been ur experience with Ruckus? Thanks for sharing ....Lou

SoCalSteve
10-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Steve, please share more details?? I was about to send something to them but would appreciate hearing ur experience with them. They are certainly the most expensive (from what I have gauged) yet they appear to do good work. What has been ur experience with Ruckus? Thanks for sharing ....Lou

I'll PM you

aaronf
10-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Again, I would not recommend Ruckus.

Agree with Steve here.

Granted my experience was not a repair but a fabrication project a couple years ago that they just couldn't get right (twice) nor anywhere near on time. It was while they were moving facilities, but they neglected to mention that fact to me at the time they "promised" a delivery date.

To their credit, all payment was ultimately fully refunded, but I ended up with multiple (now) unusable products that I had provided for the project. It was mating a Thomson seatpost head to a proprietarily-shaped (and silly-expensive, I think about $400) seat post that had a pretty terrible seat clamp arrangement.

Feel free to PM if you would like more specifics.

SoCalSteve
10-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Agree with Steve here.

Granted my experience was not a repair but a fabrication project a couple years ago that they just couldn't get right (twice) nor anywhere near on time. It was while they were moving facilities, but they neglected to mention that fact to me at the time they "promised" a delivery date.

To their credit, all payment was ultimately fully refunded, but I ended up with multiple (now) unusable products that I had provided for the project. It was mating a Thomson seatpost head to a proprietarily-shaped (and silly-expensive, I think about $400) seat post that had a pretty terrible seat clamp arrangement.

Feel free to PM if you would like more specifics.

In my repair, they couldn't get it right, was way longer than time estimates given and eventually gave me my money back...similar experience, with similar outcomes. Cannot imagine how they can stay in business with this model.

Satellite
10-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Yep pretty much the same responses I got from industry professionals when I was looking to get my carbon frame repaired. Ollie from Spectrum Powderworks highly recommended Calfee and no one else. Ollie is somewhat of a friend of mine and certainly very knowledgeable in the bicycle industry I fully trust his opinions.

DRZRM
10-21-2016, 05:19 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it and I'll pass on the information. Both the local guy in Brooklyn and the Calfee recommendation. Should be a pretty straightforward repair. Short toptube on this frame got a crack, and now it has expanded.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=104553&stc=1&d=1351118203

AngryScientist
10-21-2016, 07:18 AM
that's a pretty interesting bike.

i wonder if that short carbon top tube section really does anything for the ride?

how does he like it Z?

christian
10-21-2016, 07:43 AM
It would be fun to have an October bike with November wheels.

Autumn, it's the most contemplative of seasons.

Satellite
10-21-2016, 09:12 AM

i wonder if that short carbon top tube section really does anything for the ride?

how does he like it Z?

Right that is weird the carbon top tube section is in just the right place for the bars to be able to smack the carbon top tube. The death of most carbon bikes. Seems like a huge design flaw to me. It would be interesting to ride two frames back to back one with a solid top tube and one with this short piece of carbon to see if it really changes the ride?

DRZRM
10-21-2016, 10:15 AM

how does he like it Z?

He's enjoyed it, but the above critique is spot on. I'm not sure it was a handlebar hit that started the crack, but I can't imagine the...weight-loss or stiffness gained by the design, if any, offsets the need for this type of repair. I always thought it looked cool, but I prefer my frames to be all ti, or at least all metal...well except for my Ibis Ripley, which I love.

happycampyer
10-21-2016, 04:35 PM
It would be fun to have an October bike with November wheels.

Autumn, it's the most contemplative of seasons.Apparently not the most august of frames.