PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Tights, No Chamois - what are my options?

velotrack
10-18-2016, 06:45 PM
The Bay Area doesn't get to any crazy low temperatures, but sometimes there are days when bib shorts alone aren't the best and I'd rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts, I can possibly get more than one ride without a wash, so that's why I'd want a pair without the pad. If that makes sense.

Recommendations?

uber
10-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Rapha makes bibs without a chamois to be worn over bibs in cooler weather. They last forever. I'm sure there a plenty of other options.

Dead Man
10-18-2016, 06:52 PM
I just throw some black under armor tights on over my bibs when it's that cold... but it's almost never that cold. $30 solution

vqdriver
10-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Yoga pants:hello::eek:

SlowPokePete
10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts, I can possibly get more than one ride without a wash, so that's why I'd want a pair without the pad. If that makes sense.

Yes to the above.

SPP

steelbikerider
10-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Pearl Izumi makes many different tights and bib tights with no pad.

gasman
10-18-2016, 07:59 PM
What about just a pair of knee warmers for those cooler days ?

Louis
10-18-2016, 08:07 PM
The Bay Area doesn't get to any crazy low temperatures, but sometimes there are days when bib shorts alone aren't the best and I'd rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts, I can possibly get more than one ride without a wash, so that's why I'd want a pair without the pad. If that makes sense.

Wait, you want to wear just lycra shorts under your bib shorts? As I'm sure you know, you're supposed to have the chamois next to your skin.

If you want to be warmer wear something over the bibs. Or, as was suggested above, wear knee (or leg) warmers. Or tights (they come in all sorts of weights, without chamois) over everything.

Or bib knickers. Knickers are great:

http://centocycling.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1//9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/y/cycling_bib_knicker_sair.jpg

FlashUNC
10-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Rapha. They're great.

velotrack
10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Wait, you want to wear just lycra shorts under your bib shorts? As I'm sure you know, you're supposed to have the chamois next to your skin.

If you want to be warmer wear something over the bibs.

Yes, but that's what I meant by shorts:

I'm thinking that if I wear 'em over shorts

Louis
10-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Got it. In that case, I wouldn't wear just plain lycra shorts "next to the skin" - that's where the chamois goes.

velotrack
10-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Got it. In that case, I wouldn't wear just plain lycra shorts "next to the skin" - that's where the chamois goes.

Hmm, should have been less sloppy writing my original post. I will be wearing them over bibs, with the chamois next to my skin, as you say. I don't own any cycling shorts without padding, nor do I own any shorts. Just bibs, with padding.

Loving the recommendations. I have knee warmers, but they're loose and it's no fun. Maybe I just need some that fit better.

Louis
10-18-2016, 09:19 PM
I have knee warmers, but they're loose and it's no fun. Maybe I just need some that fit better.

If they're sliding down your legs you could try putting the tops of the knee warmers under the bottom hem of the shorts. (you may already be doing this)

Porschefan
10-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Leg warmers. Easy on/off. Plenty warm.

STP

gasman
10-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Loving the recommendations. I have knee warmers, but they're loose and it's no fun. Maybe I just need some that fit better.

Well, maybe you just need knee warmers that fit better. I have skinny legs and they stay up fine for me.

Bradford
10-18-2016, 09:43 PM
I wear tights over shorts here in Denver and hardly ever wash the tights. I never understood why anyone would want tights with chamois when you can buy just one pair of tights and wash the shorts after every ride.

joev
10-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Easy for me to reply...I used to wear lycra tights over my cycling shorts. Better solution is either knee or leg warmers for me. I have both and most of the time prefer knee warmers. The main reason - when nature calls. It takes long enough to slip off the vest and jersey that I usually wear if I need the knee or leg warmers.

Dead Man
10-18-2016, 09:53 PM
I'd actually like to get some leg warmers.. this fall I've discovered that my sweet spot for PNW rain ride layering is to do tight fitting jersey with arm warmers under light rain jacket. In seasons past I've done full long sleeve base layer under jersey, and it's always too much. Now I'm going short bibs for the same reason, but obviously can get cold on descents/any time I'm not hammering.... leg warmers would probably be the perfect complement to my upper torso system - some warmth/wind blocking, but not a full additional layer to overheat/soak up too much water.

Sounds like you should just size down on your leg warmers, OP.

What size do you have currently (maybe I'll buy 'em from you, if you're a chicken legged mofo!)

estilley
10-18-2016, 11:59 PM
I rock the knee warmers pretty often. Decent for all but the coldest pnw days.

Bought some castelli windstopper thermo bib tights last year when I was living in NYC. Those things are TOASTY. Anything over 30 degrees and you're in full sauna mode. I may never need to wear them again...

Leg warmers might be just perfect for the winter here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-19-2016, 05:28 AM

Recommendations?

Mee too, I'd rather be real hot than a little cold. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi bib tights, no chamois, that I use fall/winter...warmer than just leg warmers for mid section, bibs so they stay up. They also make some thicker 'roubaix' type...

AngryScientist
10-19-2016, 07:25 AM
i ride in knickers all the time in transitional temperatures. keeps my knees covered and i dont notice any real overheating due to them. i really like knickers.

AJosiahK
10-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Craft and Pearl make these, pants or bib tights. affordable and more durable than Rapha... and honestly warmer

ptourkin
10-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Pearl Izumi makes many different tights and bib tights with no pad.

I've had the same pair of PI tights to pull over bibs during cold conditions for years. I originally bought them while touring. It's a good solution when it's too cold for warmers and the conditions will change later and you're fine in just bibs. I basically use them one weekend a year during a long race in the mountains.

VoyTirando
10-19-2016, 09:23 AM
I have a few pairs of Champion Systems winter fleece bibs with no chamois, and love them. They're warm and indestructible.

Davist
10-19-2016, 09:40 AM
I second the PI tights, lots of variety there, mine are without pads and their "elite"/mid range, I'd think they're a little heavy for the Bay Area, but good for here in Phila to about ~35-40*

I'd also suggest getting the right sized warmers, they should stay up PI has good ones, and I got a pair of Canari leg warmers from Sierra Trading post on whim at ~$18 and they are the perfect weight for mid 40s - mid 50s little lighter than the roubaix stuff, kind of goldilocks in that way..

I want to use my bib knickers more, but end up using shorts/knee/leg warmers or full on tights over bib shorts.

Steelman
10-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Recommendations?

I have had no issues simply removing the pad from various pairs of tights, when desired. (Using a small pair of scissors on the exposed thread).