PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about selling a bike: part out or sell as complete?

Duende
10-18-2016, 02:12 AM
Hey folks,

I'm considering selling my old bike (just got a new one). Basically if all goes well with the new build, I figure I won't need two bikes. Plus living in SF space is tight!

I'm not looking to recoup every last cent possible out of it. Just want it to be hassle free and reasonable.

Anyone care to share their experiences on the matter?

Thx!

Cicli
10-18-2016, 02:47 AM
Hey folks,

I'm considering selling my old bike (just got a new one). Basically if all goes well with the new build, I figure I won't need two bikes. Plus living in SF space is tight!

I'm not looking to recoup every last cent possible out of it. Just want it to be hassle free and reasonable.

Anyone care to share their experiences on the matter?

Thx!

Hassle free? Sell complete. More money with not much effort? Part out. Parting out really depends though. Used groupsets are not worth a whole ton with the price new stuff is (read cheap).

What is it?

KonaSS
10-18-2016, 04:33 AM
The hassle of parting out definitely depends on what you are selling.

If you have a 3 year old stock bike with mid level components and house branded components and wheels, just sell complete. You are not going to get much for a Cannondale stem and bars for example.

But if you bike has something like Enve wheels, seatpost, stem, etc, parting out is probably going to be your best best.

Hilltopperny
10-18-2016, 05:40 AM
Depends on your f/f/hs and the components. If I don't feel like stripping the parts off I usually try and sell cheap to move it along. If I have to strip it down then there is more work involved, but worth it if there are potential buyers for all the extra stuff.

tuscanyswe
10-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Like has been said. If its nice components in nice condition strip if not then just sell complete.

Bikes can look pretty nice put together but then when you take them apart you realized that the parts needs some work to sell for good money which consumes both time and money. Unforeseen things like BB stuck in the frame or seatpost stuck in the frame? Need a shop or at least proper tools to get out? things like New jockey wheels and new bearings here and there can take the fun out of parting out if its an old bike but its good since you at least know the true condition of what you are selling..

chiasticon
10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
concur with the above. I'd also say that my approach has been to list it as a complete, with a fair price for it that way. but also state that I'm willing to part out or remove certain parts and work with the buyer to make it work.

bikes are pretty personal, especially when you've built them up from the frameset (i.e. a lot of bikes sold here). so I think it's good to be flexible when selling one. it's absolutely the seller's right to sell it as they wish, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating when something awesome is posted and you're ready to buy, but the seller won't work with you. especially if it then sits in the classifieds for months and you're just like :rolleyes:

malcolm
10-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Hassle free? Sell complete. More money with not much effort? Part out. Parting out really depends though. Used groupsets are not worth a whole ton with the price new stuff is (read cheap).

What is it?

Assuming higher end stuff or stuff in demand you'll always net more parting out. Ebay will usually generate more money than here. I usually sell here because it's easier and you tend to deal with people you know to some degree and you can kinda keep it in the family.

KJMUNC
10-18-2016, 09:12 AM
You'll have more luck selling complete via CL or ebay. I can't recall a complete bike being sold here, as most people have their preferences and don't need to buy all the extra stuff.

SoCalSteve
10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
I cannot imagine buying a complete bike as I am such a picky f?ck on my component choices. Cannot speak for anyone else though.

malcolm
10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
You'll have more luck selling complete via CL or ebay. I can't recall a complete bike being sold here, as most people have their preferences and don't need to buy all the extra stuff.

Sold a complete spectrum with campy 10 and reynolds carbon wheels a couple months ago and a near complete track bike as well. ymmv

Duende
10-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. I think if/when I sell it, I'll put it up here as a complete bike with the option to part it out as necessary for the perspective buyer.

Great advice everyone. Thx!!!

Fatty
10-18-2016, 09:59 AM
I always try to sell a bike whole. If you part it out, tons of work. Lots of different buyers, adds and shipping. Then every little bit has to sell or your stuck with old parts hanging around.

Mzilliox
10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Why not offer options? For the easiest sale, give choices. I just sold a bike in 13 seconds last night. Offered it as frameset, sans wheels, or complete. Complete was the best deal, sans wheels was a better deal, and the frame alone was still a good deal. thats hassle free. Im 100% sure i could have got more money, but i would have had to wait and work. I'd rather just get the bike a new home. I also don't mind having the spare parts...

also, who has only 1 bike? thats weird... what if your one bike has an issue and you want to ride?

One bike he says...:help:

fourflys
10-18-2016, 11:17 AM
if I was looking for a new-to-me bike, I'd be more inclined to buy complete... buying a complete used bike means all the parts are currently compatible and working (I assume)... buying frameset means I have to have all the other parts and hope they work on that frame well... plus, as a buyer I know it will cost be a lot more to put a bike together if I don't already have the groupset and wheels...

as others have said, I guess it depends on time and what you're wanting to get out of the sale... I had my Hakkalugi up for a sale for a bit and had a few offers to sell just the frameset, but didn't feel like I wanted to break the bike up....

Chris