PDA

View Full Version : Serotta seatpost clamp...allen head broke off

Kingfisher
10-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Went to change out seatposts and SNAP, the bolt sheared off leaving remainder inside the seatpost clamp.

Any way to get the screw out without buying an ez out?

Open to suggestions..including going down to local shops and procuring another one.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Went to change out seatposts and SNAP, the bolt sheared off leaving remainder inside the seatpost clamp.

Any way to get the screw out without buying an ez out?

Open to suggestions..including going down to local shops and procuring another one.

Real thin needle nose grab remnant of bolt thru clamp? Turn and get it out?

cmbicycles
10-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Can you see any of the bolt between the slot? A few ideas:
-I've used wire strippers (with plier jaws on the tip) to grab it and turn it put in the past. They are thin enough to get between the slot.
-You can try a punch and hammer to hit the bolt off center to back it out until you can grab with pliers.
-Have any left handed drill bits? Sometimes you can start drilling thru the bolt and the drill bit will back it out on its own, but not always.
-You could also try a regular RH drill bit from the bolt head side and it might push it out some as well, but depending on how the bolt broke it may be difficult to center the drill bit.

Unless it is is a odd size you can also get a new clamp at your LBS for less than $20, or buy an easy out, or take it to a mechanic with the right tools.

jtakeda
10-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Maybe take a dremel and make a slot so you can use a flat head screwdriver?

benb
10-17-2016, 03:47 PM
I broke one of these years ago on my Serotta.. the bolt came out when it broke though, maybe it was a different clamp design.. it looked pretty similar. (This would have been around 2008 or so.)

IIRC the clamp is Ti and the bolt is some soft steel or aluminum. The dremel should go through the remnant of the bolt like butter and have a real hard time doing anything to the Ti. LBS should have the bolts, they're standard IIRC, although in my case the LBS was the Serotta dealer. I think my All City has the same bolt though.

Cicli
10-17-2016, 03:48 PM
Use the hole on the broken sode to drill a pilot. Find a drill bit that is the same side as the ID of the unthreaded hole. Just touch the broken bolt to create a divot right in the center. Then change to a smaller bit and drill it through. It may just turn out. May try a little heat. The aluminum will expand faster than steel. You can get thet out no problem.

muz
10-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Just drill it from the reverse side and it should come out in no time. No need for reverse threaded bits when you can access the pointy end.

Kingfisher
10-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Drilled out from reverse side and then used a small punch to loosen up...came right out!

Thanks guys!

559Rando
10-18-2016, 08:58 AM
King, glad you could save that beautiful clamp! 👍

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk