PDA

View Full Version : Great story involving E-Richie (and, in a cameo role, The Paceline)

crankles
10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Loved the story. I'm not a collector or a hoarder, but there are two bikes and a trumpet I sold under similar circumstances that I wished I could have back...

My older self though hopes that they are at least getting ridden/played with ferocity.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/lost-then-found-retracing-the-path-of-a-cherished-richard-sachs-race-bike-that-was-gone-forever-until-it-wasnt/

Nooch
10-14-2016, 01:39 PM
and the paceline comes into play!

weaponsgrade
10-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting. Sometimes I find myself thinking about the Cannondale M700 and Bontrager Race Lite I used to have. I had some good adventures on those bikes BITD.

crankles
10-14-2016, 03:51 PM
yeah, that was a nice little nugget!

and the paceline comes into play!

veloduffer
10-14-2016, 05:59 PM
I am the one who originally bought the bike from Adam. I was happy that Adam got the bike back, and especially in the original paint. Peter did a nice job on the story.

I think many of us have a sentimental bike. Mine was my 1993 Bridgestone RB-1 in canary yellow with the cool Tom Ritchey fork crown. That bike sparked my lust for bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Ah, what a great read! Adam is a great guy. Well-spoken and a hell of a bike racer.

mistermo
10-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Its about time this forum had a positive story about a Sachs :hello:

sailorboy
10-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Its about time this forum had a positive story about a Sachs :hello:

Oh don't worry, I'm sure it will take a turn for the worse on here.

bcroslin
10-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Great story!

d_douglas
10-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Fun read! I joined the serotta forum searching for some ridiculous compatibility solution and Douglas Brooks kindly responded in incredible detail. We corresponded a few times and he was selling a yellow/ti Legend at the time (when it was unfathomable to spend $1500 on anything except food and rent). He sold it and it was gone.

Years later, I moved to Switzerland with my wife and the Paceline put me in touch with George K (aka Gothard) where I travelled to Sion to meet him and he offered to let me ride one of his bikes. I walked into his garage and lo and behold, there said the same yellow Legend that George bought from Douglas years earlier! I rode it and it was gorgeous.

Two years later, George was clearing out some extra bikes (he has an amazing collection!) and made me a deal that I couldn't refuse :).

I rode it for a year, then when planning to move home to Canada, I had to sell it to appease my conscience . It is now owned by an avid local cyclist living in Geneva, last i heard. Full circle!

Now, George let me ride a Kirk once that was unforgettable. It sold and no one knows where it is. I would grab that if it came up on the market again!!

tiretrax
10-16-2016, 05:58 PM
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/lost-then-found-retracing-the-path-of-a-cherished-richard-sachs-race-bike-that-was-gone-forever-until-it-wasnt/

schwa86
10-16-2016, 06:27 PM
That's a pretty fun story. Thanks for sharing.

harlond
10-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Very cool. There might be a Peugeot PKN-10e frame out there that I'd like to have back. Not even sure why.

fogrider
10-16-2016, 08:22 PM
funny, I remember a little story https://debrapaulson.wordpress.com/tag/robin-williams/ of what might have been. there are 3 pegs currently up for auction that William's previously owned, and I remember another that was auctioned off earlier...Robin must have ordered a bunch at the time.

slowpoke
10-16-2016, 09:19 PM
> John believes he hooked up with Myerson to buy the bike on a forum that Serotta used to host called The Paceline.

Back then it was just called the Serotta Forums. Do we have those old threads archived? It'd be cool to see the original for sale posting.

This was a great Sunday read, thanks for sharing the article!

velotrack
10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Wonder if John is still around the forums these days? He must be, if he's aware of the name change! :)

kingpin75s
10-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

pdmtong
10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194669

veloduffer
10-17-2016, 06:24 AM
Wonder if John is still around the forums these days? He must be, if he's aware of the name change! :)

Yes, I'm still around. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeatnik
10-18-2016, 03:51 AM
This paragraph made the seller's identity obvious:

John’s affections are most clearly understood if you peruse a photo page he has lovingly created to record his collection of very nice bikes. There is a Kish cyclocross bike and an Eriksen, both titanium, and a carbon Parlee Z5. There are lovely photos of bikes by Seven and Serotta and Spectrum and Lynskey. There is a sweet looking Moots ’cross bike that John said he recently sold.

That, and I used to be a golfer so your SN has always stood out. In any case, wonder if you could clarify when you purchased the frameset and if the transaction really went through the Serotta forum. A $400 purchase price would indicate a pre-Serotta forum deal.

I am the one who originally bought the bike from Adam. I was happy that Adam got the bike back, and especially in the original paint. Peter did a nice job on the story.

I think many of us have a sentimental bike. Mine was my 1993 Bridgestone RB-1 in canary yellow with the cool Tom Ritchey fork crown. That bike sparked my lust for bikes.

Keith A
10-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Merged the two discussions into one :)

veloduffer
10-19-2016, 12:03 PM
This paragraph made the seller's identity obvious:

That, and I used to be a golfer so your SN has always stood out. In any case, wonder if you could clarify when you purchased the frameset and if the transaction really went through the Serotta forum. A $400 purchase price would indicate a pre-Serotta forum deal.

I would estimate around 2003-4. I think the price was about right, as it didn't sell quickly. Most folks didn't know what cyclocross was back then and mountain biking was still the rage. I don't think there any other cross bikes for sale in stores - none of the US brands had a model. Plus road bikes were still in decline or just starting to turnaround.

I'm pretty sure it was the Serotta forum but it may have been across the hall. Those were the only bike forums that I frequent and I don't monitor Craig's List. Plus I remember speaking to Adam, so that would eliminate EBay.

Mdabell
10-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that story. Now i don't know if i can ever part with a bike!

Nooch
10-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks for sharing that story. Now i don't know if i can ever part with a bike!

dealing with the same right now!

jruhlen1980
10-19-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm relatively new here, what's the cliff's notes history of the paceline?

redir
10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm on the fence about selling a beloved bike now too, a Moots, I think I'll probably just keep it... Not that desperate yet :D

I remember racing against some Richard Sachs cyclocross riders back in the day, I think it was post Myerson's time on RS but I remember the bikes and drooling over them.

slowpoke
10-19-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm relatively new here, what's the cliff's notes history of the paceline?

Serotta used to host a bike forum at forums.serotta.com until early 2012. They were going to close the forums (maybe due to the change in ownership--someone more knowledgeable can chime in), so Keith A got ahold of everything and migrated us over.

As an infrequent forum member, it feels like the same community, but I know we're missing a few characters like Gothard.