PDA

View Full Version : Shipping larger items from USA to Canada

Veloo
10-16-2016, 05:38 PM
There are some older threads on this but I wanted some recent input.
For larger items like wheels, frames and even bikes, what is the best way to get something from the US up to Canada these days?

Fedex and UPS are still off the list cuz of their stupid brokerage fees.

Is US Postal/ Canada Post still the way to go?

Black Dog
10-16-2016, 05:41 PM
USPS is best. But if you really want to save the bucks then get it sent to a shipping mail box in Niagara Falls USA. This is what I do. It is worth it for some items.

Veloo
10-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Anyone ship wheels lately? What's the cost these days?

zzy
10-16-2016, 07:33 PM
USPS online, only. You used to be able to do it affordably via USPS airmail. Now it's first class or priority (which is $$). First class is usually the only reasonable option, but sometimes FedEx has good rates on large and oversized items.

oldpotatoe
10-17-2016, 05:01 AM
There are some older threads on this but I wanted some recent input.
For larger items like wheels, frames and even bikes, what is the best way to get something from the US up to Canada these days?

Fedex and UPS are still off the list cuz of their stupid brokerage fees.

Is US Postal/ Canada Post still the way to go?

Have you looked into BikeFlights.com? Altho they use FedEx..all the label getting and set up is via BikeFlights.com web site..OBTW-I had a wheelset damaged in transit..FedEx declined the claim, like lightening fast..BikeFlights honored it..great service.

Pierre
10-18-2016, 01:20 PM
x2 for getting a PO Box and driving down. I live in Toronto and happen to work in Burlington so really I'm half way to the border anyway. I registered with https://www.needausaddress.com and I get my parcels shipped to the UPS Store in Lewiston, NY. $5USD for small packages, $10 for larger. Pay the tax at the border on the way back and you are good to go...

Of course, easier still is to wait until you are heading down for a conference and ship a bunch of stuff to your hotel in advance (that's my A-plan). That allows you to avoid the HST on the way back assuming you are below your limit.

TunaAndBikes
10-18-2016, 02:47 PM
This isnt too much of a fraud? I'm partly afraid because of terrible reviews on other similar services

Pierre
10-18-2016, 02:59 PM
This isnt too much of a fraud? I'm partly afraid because of terrible reviews on other similar services

Not sure, I know there are several competing outfits vying for this business, for sure. All I can say is that I've had great service from the UPS store for about 6 years using this particular service.

Brian Cdn
10-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Not sure, I know there are several competing outfits vying for this business, for sure. All I can say is that I've had great service from the UPS store for about 6 years using this particular service.

I believe that the Barton Inn hotel in Lewiston NY, still offers to receive packages for a small fee. Free if you stay. I have used them in the past with good results for bike related purchases.

Black Dog
10-18-2016, 06:53 PM
CBI.com. They are 5 minutes across the boarder crossing at Lewiston. Really friendly service and they have two locations. One for mid to small packages and one for any size. Will hold your items for a long time for no extra fee and you pay about $5 per package or you can get an annual plan. 100% legit. Besides about 95% of the time the boarder agent will wave the duty if you are honest and direct with invoices in hand.

blakcloud
10-18-2016, 09:44 PM
I use CBI in Niagara Falls and it is $6.00 a package, more if it's oversized. I had Rivendell send mine and my wife's bike there since they really don't ship to Canada. I have been very happy with CBI.

To the OP, anytime FedEx or UPS delivers to Canada the buyer is stung with brokerage charges which are crazy. USPS is the way to go. There can be brokerage charges but a reasonable amount compared to the others.

adub
10-18-2016, 10:00 PM
If the package is within the size limit USPS all the way.

Boycott the courier services, UPS, FedEx, DHL, et al as they simply charg more upon pick-up under the guise of "brokerage fees"

bikenow
10-18-2016, 11:47 PM
I second usps, but if you live close enough to the border make the trip. It really depends how much you want to save