PDA

View Full Version : Press does not value human life in Palos Verdes California

elcolombiano
10-16-2016, 12:30 AM
This was recently published in the local paper in my area where I live. Many residents, City Officials and the local news paper have little regard for human life.

I continue to get assaulted by cars almost every day I ride.

JasonF
10-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Insensitive to say the least. It's a tense situation on the PV peninsula and I've spent quite a bit of time there as a possible future home. Most cyclists stay to the right and allow motorists to pass. However, on several occasions, I've seen large groups of cyclists ride in disorganized pacelines 3 and 4 abreast and show no regard for other vehicles on the road. It's resulted in tons of animosity on both sides. The death of cyclists hasn't helped either.

54ny77
10-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Maybe I'm just getting older and more cranky, but SoCal is just getting worse and worse and worse for cycling. While I no longer live there, I grew up there and knew what it was, and see what it is now when I'm out there for biz travel (I'll often be able to get at least some riding in). It's generally awesome if finishing up by 10 a.m. on weekends. Or weekdays before 7:30, let's call it. After then, no.

rain dogs
10-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Maybe I'm just getting older and more cranky, but SoCal is just getting worse and worse and worse for cycling. While I no longer live there, I grew up there and knew what it was, and see what it is now when I'm out there for biz travel (I'll often be able to get at least some riding in). It's generally awesome if finishing up by 10 a.m. on weekends. Or weekdays before 7:30, let's call it. After then, no.

You are getting older, and you may be getting more cranky, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Surely it's just simple doubling time and mathematics.

54ny77
10-16-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm largely just getting more sensitive to life while riding. Know too many people who've been hit, assaulted and even killed. All in SoCal. All while just riding a bike.

You are getting older, and you may be getting more cranky, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Surely it's just simple doubling time and mathematics.

cmg
10-16-2016, 12:58 PM
the argument about who has rights to road isn't about signage. http://www.pvnews.com/news/city-council-puts-brakes-on-installing-new-bicycle-signs/article_ffe2dd34-90ec-11e6-b0d0-034063308177.html a sign isn't going to make roads safer for cyclists. cities want to receive federal dollars for bike lanes think that by putting down a road marking will let them qualify.

ultraman6970
10-16-2016, 01:11 PM
I dont think the cartoonist have no respect for human life, thats how comics work, just irony to make the reader to think about it. IMO is pretty funny and really makes you think about it, specially if you are a driver.

elcolombiano
10-17-2016, 02:01 AM
I dont think the cartoonist have no respect for human life, thats how comics work, just irony to make the reader to think about it. IMO is pretty funny and really makes you think about it, specially if you are a driver.

Sorry pal, after you have been t-boned and rear ended by cars while on your bike a few times, been traumatized, spent weeks and months recovering from injuries watched your buddies maimed and killed, there is nothing funny about it at all.

peanutgallery
10-17-2016, 04:13 AM
If it bothers you enough, personal anger and outrage isnt going to fix California. They're just going to stuff more self important people onto the same infrastructure and make it even worse. It will never change, no use getting triggered

Consider moving to an area more conducive to road riding or do what I did and switch to dirt only. It improved my outlook on humanity, rarely have to look over my shoulder and I always feel relaxed after a ride.

ultraman6970
10-17-2016, 08:39 AM
I think colombiano might have a lot of problems with political and social comics like mafalda for example. I see from where he is coming from tho but comic authors see what the problem is, that's the reason of the comic humor.