PDA

View Full Version : David Millar: How To Get Away With Doping

pbarry
10-15-2016, 12:00 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/opinion/sunday/how-to-get-away-with-doping.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/?WT.z_jog=1&hF=t&vS=undefined

I served a two-year ban. My life was in ruins, but I felt relieved — at least I was free of all the deception and disgust. When I returned to the sport, I was determined to do everything in my power to prevent the next generation of riders having to make the decisions I’d made. Telling my story is my way of helping to prevent other athletes’ careers being poisoned as mine was.

Hawker
10-15-2016, 02:52 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/opinion/sunday/how-to-get-away-with-doping.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/?WT.z_jog=1&hF=t&vS=undefined

Thanks, interesting and sad. Glad he didn't do any permanent damage to his system...that he knows of yet.

Jgrooms
10-15-2016, 03:33 PM
One of the most detailed accounts of drug use & its effects I've yet to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gianni
10-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks for sharing. Good read.

pbarry
10-15-2016, 06:41 PM
It seems that he was well educated in the effects each drug would have on his body. Interesting. Those euro sports docs have one thing going for them--Informing the patient about a drug's side effects.

I enjoyed reading the piece as there were no villains, he threw no one under the bus, and he warns that vigilance is key.

Anarchist
10-16-2016, 12:56 AM
Does Saint David think if he just keeps repeating the "we're clean now" BS that we'll start believing it some day??

oldpotatoe
10-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Does Saint David think if he just keeps repeating the "we're clean now" BS that we'll start believing it some day??

Well, most(all) pro sports have cheaters, like cycling does now. It's refreshing to see somebody bare their soul about this stuff rather than either sit on some high horse and deny it, not say anything save a one or two sentence 'admission', then go count their $(like Hincapie) or just say nothing(omertà)...

TUE and blood doping using one's own blood a HUGE problem, not just in the relatively teeny sport of cycling...the international and US 'ball sports' are ignoring it also.

Good article.

jr59
10-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Well, most(all) pro sports have cheaters, like cycling does now. It's refreshing to see somebody bare their soul about this stuff rather than either sit on some high horse and deny it, not say anything save a one or two sentence 'admission', then go count their $(like Hincapie) or just say nothing(omertà)...

TUE and blood doping using one's own blood a HUGE problem, not just in the relatively teeny sport of cycling...the international and US 'ball sports' are ignoring it also.

Good article.

correct. In football a player gets caught and all the fans want to know is how soon can we get him back. While in cycling, it's "let's ban him for life! Strange!

CunegoFan
10-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Good 'ol Saint Millar. His biggest regret after being caught was no longer being the golden boy of British cycling so he recreated himself as an anti doping advocate. Even as he was making his rounds, doing his apology theater and acting as the go-to-guy the media could use as an spokesman against doping, his team manager caught him using HGH. True story.

Tickdoc
10-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I can't say I blame him. Hell, I'm still waiting on the soon to be limitless pill to be released. It coming out in the next 24 hrs, apparently ;)

mistermo
10-16-2016, 05:21 PM
All drugs, legal and not, are intended to trick our bodies into entering into an 'unnatural' state.

Those who seek to indict others who have broken the rules, might find their time better spent examining the fragile, and often hypocritical ethos of drugs' legality, before passing judgement.