PDA

View Full Version : The end of group riding for me for now

Tickdoc
10-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Happens every year at this time.

The days get colder, and shorter. Our wed evening ride shuts down. Our sat ride shuts down as well.

Then there is this frantic " let's ride anyway" attempt that requires lights and extra clothing.

There is still great effort to keep leaving at 7, or even 6 in the morning when it is pitch dark.

They have me looking for the next latest light. I'm fine with trail riding in the dark with lights, but I just don't feel safe group road riding with lights in the dark.

I like to just wait and do solo rides when the football games are on and the roads are clear. The weather here is really pretty good midday.

I love my peeps, but not that much.

Embrace the winter solo ride time is here again.

Am I the only one?

Cicli
10-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Nope. Then again. All my rides are solo.

I have the attitude that if you go alone you can leave right now. If you go with others you may never get there.

Mzilliox
10-15-2016, 10:30 AM
nope, but then i rarely ride in groups anyway. i find the hammering isn't all that fun for me. i like to look around when i ride. i like to sometimes take my hands off my bars, or god forbid, stop pedaling for a second. Heck, i may even stop to look at something cool. then there are guys who don't want to ride certain route due to this or that. boring boring boring.

Also, i find the vibe on our group ride both too casual in ride technique, but too serious in its ego content. so i ride mainly solo, or with one other.

I have never found a cool new route on a group ride, but i seem to find one every week solo. and i can start and stop whenever i want

my ride style suits being solo

but this rain, now its trainer time, so maybe ill do some trainer group rides...

rccardr
10-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Not a problem for me. All us old retired guys ride mid-day this time of year, groups size stays pretty much the same, to take advantage of the sun and temps.

weisan
10-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Not a problem for me. All us old retired guys ride mid-day this time of year, groups size stays pretty much the same, to take advantage of the sun and temps.

That's the secret sauce... Find a group of retirees to ride with... They have got nuthin' to prove so the pace is reasonable, old bones get chilled easily and they are not in a hurry to get anywhere... so they always pick sensible start time.

gomango
10-15-2016, 11:07 AM
That's the secret sauce... Find a group of retirees to ride with... They have got nuthin' to prove so the pace is reasonable, old bones get chilled easily and they are not in a hurry to get anywhere... so they always pick sensible start time.

I'm going on 59 and have been riding on Tuesdays and Saturdays with a great group of retired educators.

This group just returned from a two week trip riding in Croatia. Loved it. :) They don't stop riding at the "end" of the season here in Minnesota, they just get out the fat bikes or head to the Hill Country near Kerrville where one of them has a ranch.

I'm scheduled to ride with them in February in Texas, so I think they've got this matter sorted.

In the meantime, I just switch to 100% off road here in the Twin Cities once the weather turns when snow and ice becomes common place on our roads.

joosttx
10-15-2016, 11:16 AM
this is best title for a thread I have seen .... wait for it .... in a while.

Thanks for making me laugh

Steve in SLO
10-15-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm with you, somewhat because of my schedule, but also because I have tired of the modern "group" ride, which seems more of an individual testosterone-fest then a cooperative venture.
90% of my rides are solo.
7% are with one friend I have ridden with for years.
2+ percent are "group" rides of 3.
The remaining less than 1% are when somebody accidentally invites another person and we end up with four.

weisan
10-15-2016, 11:58 AM
>I'm scheduled to ride with them in February in Texas, so I think they've got this matter sorted

Mango pal, let me know where and when, I might join y'all l. :D

Tickdoc
10-15-2016, 12:06 PM
this is best title for a thread I have seen .... wait for it .... in a while.

Thanks for making me laugh

Anything I can do to help for you.

Tickdoc
10-15-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm with you, somewhat because of my schedule, but also because I have tired of the modern "group" ride, which seems more of an individual testosterone-fest then a cooperative venture.
90% of my rides are solo.
7% are with one friend I have ridden with for years.
2+ percent are "group" rides of 3.
The remaining less than 1% are when somebody accidentally invites another person and we end up with four.

I feel fortunate to have an awesome group. The energy of the group is very friendly and the least douchey of any group I have ridden with before.

I am missing that one friend to always be able to call. I had one a few years ago, but he was always a little slower, then got hurt a few times, and eventually dropped out.

I'm looking for someone who isn't all that chatty and is a little faster than myself, or even at least. They have to be able to tolerate my lack of carbon and no Garmin/strava riding style. One good riding buddy is always commenting on the numbers and it drives me crazy. I don't need or want up to minute barometric pressure and altitude readings.

weisan
10-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Riding is a fluid thing. It's freedom.

No need to bound yourself to any fixed rules or way of thinking, save the embarrassment of having to back paddle later on.... Keep an open mind and open heart, enjoy the ride.

OtayBW
10-15-2016, 02:06 PM
I can understand your weekday evening rides being gone, but I ride through the year on the weekends. I understand the work-life-family balance thing, but for me, making time to get some riding in on the weekend is part of that balance.

john903
10-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Yep almost all my rides are solo. Even when I am doing structured race prep rides. But mostly my rides are just for fun and we don't really have any/many roadies to ride with out here. I do have one riding buddy who is faster then me and we have fun pushing the pace occasionally. He is a very skilled rider and bike handler it is always a pleasure to ride with him. When I do find a group to ride with I usually realize why I just ride solo or with my one friend.
Have a great day.

zap
10-15-2016, 02:28 PM

Be careful. Some retirees still race and will put the hurt on collegiate racers......and not just on the road either if you know what I mean.

rccardr
10-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Agreed. Our group rides are typically 60 miles or so and some of these retired men and women really put the hurt on you.

bigbill
10-15-2016, 04:06 PM
I'll do group rides during the summer but meet the group outside of town or make them chase me. The locals have switched over to MTB's for the year but only ride 2-3 times a week. I ride pretty much every day during the week on my gravel bike on the North East Texas Trail that runs behind my neighborhood. I can do 18 miles with an out an back route with a mix of pavement and packed gravel. For now, I don't need lights but in a few weeks I will. I try to plan my afternoon rides so I can make it to the turn around before dusk. I've got a good light (680 lumen) so I can maintain a good speed. It's NE Texas, there'll be some cold days soon, but I've got the clothing for it.

weisan
10-15-2016, 04:59 PM
...if you know what I mean.

I do!
That's why I like riding with them... Coz' I can then lay claim to beating a former Nat. Champ. in a sprint or up a hill. :D

Dead Man
10-15-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm in professional hibernation till the spring. I can ride wenevs, yo.

I should find a group of retirees to ride with!

shovelhd
10-15-2016, 05:16 PM
I rode with the club today. We ride year round as long as the roads are clear. We always have a New Years Day ride. The length is the temperature if it's over 30.

estilley
10-15-2016, 05:54 PM
I worked weekends all summer so my big rides were Mondays. Barely a soul on the road on all the usual west hill routes or better yet had the historic Columbia river highway to myself a few times.

Short rides before work at 630. Often riding alone, but always having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
10-15-2016, 06:01 PM
My outside riding in general is over. I have been riding Tues, Thursday, Sat & Sun on the trainer for shorter rides.

I will still go out on group rides on Sunday when the weather is decent but its not worth it like you said.

bikinchris
10-15-2016, 06:37 PM
People who are good at training ride mostly solo. No one to wait for, no other pace to worry about. Some of the best and most successful riders/racers I have ever seen ride maybe one or two days a week with groups.
Don't stress over it.

rnhood
10-15-2016, 07:18 PM
People who are good at training ride mostly solo. No one to wait for, no other pace to worry about. Some of the best and most successful riders/racers I have ever seen ride maybe one or two days a week with groups.
Don't stress over it.

While that is likely true, I would think it not necessary unless one is planning on competing in some event (triathlon, bike race, etc). If competition is not on the horizon, then group riding will impart plenty of fitness into one's health, as well as provide good bike handling skills, not to mention making many new friends. Of course to each their own. Some people like playing cards with others, some like playing solitaire. Its all good.

regularguy412
10-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Our last group ride (usually 3 -8 show up) was Thursday on the week before last. Just not enough daylight after 6pm to get any decent mileage. Usually takes until 5:45 pm for all to get there after the workday. When daylight savings time comes back on next March, we'll be at it again. Our little group has hung together now (at least the same base 4 that started it) for about 10 years. Strangely, we're not 'quite' as fast as we used to be. LOL :D But we still manage to get in 30 - 45 miles together a couple nites a week.

MIke in AR:beer:

beeatnik
10-15-2016, 08:38 PM
World Famous Montrose Ride in the AM.

The rest of the country is so weird.

Weapon of Choice:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5628/29719824344_59b85740f1_o.jpg

smontanaro
10-16-2016, 08:31 AM
... always pick sensible start time.

Ellen and I are here in Portland visiting our son. I didn't bring any bike stuff, just walk or swim. Returning from a walk a couple days ago, I saw a group of older gentlemen gathering for a ride, so I stopped by to chat. 10am M-F, rain or shine. So, next time we're here, I bring some gear, figure out something for wheels, and do me some riding.

chiasticon
10-17-2016, 01:41 PM
They have me looking for the next latest light. I'm fine with trail riding in the dark with lights, but I just don't feel safe group road riding with lights in the dark.do you have MUPs around you? those are great fun to do in the dark, with a few people or solo. couple local clubs I ride with often have night rides that are 90% on the MUP, with just a few well-chosen/hardly-traveled roads to link different sections. it's great fun with ten people out there with massive lights going, now that lights are so cheap and powerful. hit the front and it feels like there's a car behind you, lighting your way! :hello:

between doing that, cross practice and racing, this is the time of the year where I barely ride on the road. then December comes and it's a rude awakening for me, getting used to being around cars again.