PDA

View Full Version : Permanent boot?

Dan Le foot
10-14-2016, 04:11 PM
So we get a supply of Conti 4000s2 for our 4 bikes. (Haven't used the new "2" before)
Michelle flats a new tire after about 20 miles. I checked the tire out when she got home. There is a 1/4 split right in the center of the tire. The tube held on the ride home despite wanting to push through the split. I gave her a new tire but I'm cheap and hate to toss a brand new tire.
The split isn't bad but it will need to be booted to keep the tube from protruding. Is there a permanent boot that would be safe? I placed three layers of duct tape on the inside of the tire. Before I mount the tire and give it a look I thought I would ask the brain trust here. Can I save th tire or toss?
Thanks.
Dan

alembical
10-14-2016, 04:53 PM
I vote toss... or really nice trainer tire. Every time I have tried to boot a tire, it has resulted in an imbalance. Fine to get me home, but not anything permanent... especially in center of tire.

rustychisel
10-14-2016, 05:16 PM
No. If the carcass is compromised, ie threads cut, then it's cactus.

FlashUNC
10-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Sure. Just if you ever lean on it hard in a corner, I hope your Ortho is on speed dial.

alexstar
10-14-2016, 05:52 PM
I've permabooted big sidewall cuts before on my commuter. I cut out a patch of sidewall from a dead tire and glue it into place, then duct tape over it. It worked for me. Maybe not the answer for a supple racing tire though. As always, YMMV.

muz
10-14-2016, 05:53 PM
I have no problem riding on tires with permanent boots. I cut a piece of casing from a Challenge tire and glue it inside with Aquaseal or rubber cement. In one case the tire was misshapen afterwards and I threw it away. Otherwise good as new.

ultraman6970
10-14-2016, 06:58 PM
You can glue a piece of tubular carcass at the inside, will be noticeable while riding IMO but if you dont want to toss it, it might last for a while.

When you dont have money you have to figure it out how to save the stuff for almost nothing.

Steve in SLO
10-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Good to see you're back, Dan.
If you really want to keep it, make sure you only use it as a rear tire.

Tony T
10-14-2016, 07:15 PM
…I'm cheap and hate to toss a brand new tire.

Just hang it in the workshop, just don't ride on it.

Louis
10-14-2016, 07:27 PM
When I'm thinking of reusing a damaged tire I save myself from future temptation and cut it in half with a pair of scissors. That way I can't use it later in a moment of weakness. Plus it allows me to check how much (or how little) tread is left in the outer layer.

soulspinner
10-14-2016, 07:44 PM

ya. what he said. no front wheel for that tire.

Dan Le foot
10-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone.
Out it goes.

YesNdeed
10-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Sure. Just if you ever lean on it hard in a corner, I hope your Ortho is on speed dial.

+1. I haven't run a GP 4000s since a .5" side wall tear and instantaneous blowout occurred descending Bobcat Pass. I've mostly forgotten about the road rash, but the type III AC separation on my left shoulder still reminds me that I'm really really really glad there were no oncoming cars passing.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Depends on the tire and how flush with cash.

Superglue and duct tape work fine on Conti

Compass is a lost case for their wimpy casings, just toss.

I usually toss tires with damaged casings but sometimes you don't have the money or it is 500 miles to the next bike shop

Dan Le foot
10-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Good to be seen Steve.
Pm on the way