PDA

View Full Version : New Lumos Helmet?? thoughts?

Mzilliox
10-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Having recently been struck on an early morning ride by a giant truck rear view mirror, I am thinking more about visibility.
https://lumoshelmet.co/
On my facebook feed lately, this helmet has been showing up. some kind of kickstarter type thing, this Lumos helmet looks interesting. thoughts?

Concerns would be weight, venting and fit, but if those were acceptable, this could be a cool commuting helmet for those who find themselves riding in the dark.

Anyone know more about these? anyone sign up yet?

Im tempted to get one for my wife to try, she commutes to the hospital a few times per week, often in the dark.

franswa
10-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Looks to be a good value for commuters and recreational riders. Surprisingly priced reasonably. All it has to do now is function reliably. I like the idea.

seric
10-14-2016, 01:02 PM
I supported the kickstarter, but haven't yet received my helmet. I'm not sure if I'll be interested in using it, and I questioned my own wisdom in backing a kickstarter for something where fit is so important.

Another option for visibility that I've since employed is the Light & Motion Vis360+ system. I purchased one for the wife, then almost immediately purchased one for myself as well.

JER3
10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
My Lumos just arrived this week. It looks good. All lights and remote work fine. The fit seems good - actually better than my regular helmet. It doesn't seem that much heavier than my other helmets considering it has electronics and a battery inside. I have yet to use it on a ride, but I'm sure my visibility after dark will be greatly improved. I don't think the front facing white LEDs are going to be bright enough for you to see the road in front of you. You'll still need a more powerful lamp on the front of your bike for that. The whole idea of Lumos is to get lights up higher where they can be seen by drivers. On that score they have succeeded! Hope that helps!

Mzilliox
10-14-2016, 02:07 PM
thanks for the feedback so far. glad it works, doesn't seem cheap, and fits... all good signs

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Really love the idea of it and it looks to be reasonably well designed. I'd be interested in having one in my hands to see how it felt.

schwa86
10-14-2016, 07:35 PM
I have been following too -- was too late for the original Kickstarter and it was so far out I figured I'd just buy when they were available. I like the idea for commuting in heavyish Boston traffic. I always have a sense that people that drive don't actually know what the various hand signals mean 😳

Pelican
10-14-2016, 10:02 PM
We know the Lumos Founder, having been a Kickstarter bike project creator too. They spent a lot of time getting the fit right, and the electronics are very well done. The magnetic charger is really smart.

I think they shipped the first 1000 helmets to the earliest backers, I got to try it on at Interbike. There are more "smart helmets" coming on to the market, but Lumos was (one of?) the first, and still the best in my opinion. Or atmo or whatever. :)

schwa86
01-16-2017, 09:41 PM
I ordered one and have to say I am really impressed with the design. The lights are quite bright, the charger works well. I was most impressed, however, by the fit. I think it is more comfortable than my Giro Atmos. They did a really good job.

Waldo
01-16-2017, 11:13 PM
I've worn mine over two rides, about two hours each time. It's noticeably heavier than my Giro Atmos, but not uncomfortably so. It fits well and size adjustment is simple. Front and rear lights are bright as hell. Charging is reasonably fast. I haven't installed/used the remote turn signal switch, feeling that would be too dorky even for me. I like the helmet a lot and on Kickstarter the price was very reasonable.

woodworker
01-17-2017, 12:23 AM
I've used mine on around a dozen rides. It fits well and has good adjustments and seems well made. I've used it for commuting and also some group rides. The comments from others have been favorable, and several shop owners have been interested and commented on it. I also get favorable comments from non-riders who like the visibility.

In terms of battery charging and life, the magnetic electronic charger is easy to use. A full charge, which I think takes a few hours, seems to last at least four hours. I've been on a number of rides 3+ hours, and it was still holding a charge. I also let it sit for another hour afterwards and it was still going. I've used it on the standard flashing setting, but I haven't used the accelerometer (should be decelerometer) function, which they say substantially cuts down the battery life. But I have use the signal function; however, the main thing is that I want to be seen, and it does that really well. Well designed product.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Having recently been struck on an early morning ride by a giant truck rear view mirror, I am thinking more about visibility.
https://lumoshelmet.co/
On my facebook feed lately, this helmet has been showing up. some kind of kickstarter type thing, this Lumos helmet looks interesting. thoughts?

Concerns would be weight, venting and fit, but if those were acceptable, this could be a cool commuting helmet for those who find themselves riding in the dark.

Anyone know more about these? anyone sign up yet?

Im tempted to get one for my wife to try, she commutes to the hospital a few times per week, often in the dark.

Did the truck driver not see you?

stien
01-17-2017, 06:43 AM
My wife and I commute probably 3-4 times a week between the two of us, hoping to increase that number. We use bike mounted front and rear lights (or in my case, trailer mounted rear) typically. I saw another person commuting the other day with helmet mounted front and rear and noticed he was way more visible than me. I just purchased two Light and Motion Vis 360 lights for us and used mine for the first time this morning. Even with a significantly lower lumen rating than my Niterider front light (120ish? vs 500) it's a bright light and you can shine it right at people when you want them to see you even if they're not in your path.

So if you wanted to modular solution that could augment helmets you already own, I recommend the Vis 360.

Mzilliox
01-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Did the truck driver not see you?

the truck driver was an older gentleman, and i was commuting in the morning hours, he stopped, was very friendly and very sorry. he said after that he may not ever drive in low light again, he was very upset. at that moment i realized he really just didn't see me and i needed to make my wife (and me, bought a rapha hi vis gillet and a white helmet for me)more visible on the roads.

i got her the helmet for xmas and she has ridden once with it. its amazing. the turn signals are stupid awesome. its really bright and the light is up high where it can easily be seen. while heavier than some helmets, its not heavy. her and i feel much better about those low light commutes now.

jasonification
10-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Any long term updates/reviews on this helmet?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
10-15-2017, 01:55 PM
She loves it and uses it nearly every ride! it is a good product, but a bit heavy for go fast riding. perfect for commuting though, the turn signals still blow me away every time

schwa86
10-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Use it every day for my commute. Highly visible, extremely comfortable and everything still works like new. Great product.

josephr
10-16-2017, 05:32 AM
my friend rides her urban rides in one of these and says it fits great...helmet looks well constructed and the built in lights don't seem to add much weight. I'd probably be interested if I was in the market for a new helmet. The remote control turn signals too far apart for a motorist to differentiate that from being a blinker to being just another marker light. Plus also takes up valuable handlebar space.

Drmojo
10-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Lumos--a bit heavy, no need for turn signal feature
Torch--dorky, quasi skateboard look--but brightest by far. least ventilated.
Livall---best of all--lightest, least dorky--AND plays music via Bluetooth with tiny speakers--and you can hear ambient noise just fine.
truck drivers and other vehicles see the helmet better than lights on a bike--IM not so humble opinion...

Eventually more functionality will be combined in these helmets- some already have HR monitor helmets, other body function sensors etc.
A visor on the helmet with heads up display of "metrics" is already in the works--I have seem prototypes.
Ah---to keep your bike gadget free!
Just don't lose your fancy helmet.
Or crash--although I did crash with my Livall--still works fine.

woodworker
10-16-2017, 01:24 PM
I've used mine on around a dozen rides. It fits well and has good adjustments and seems well made. I've used it for commuting and also some group rides. The comments from others have been favorable, and several shop owners have been interested and commented on it. I also get favorable comments from non-riders who like the visibility.

In terms of battery charging and life, the magnetic electronic charger is easy to use. A full charge, which I think takes a few hours, seems to last at least four hours. I've been on a number of rides 3+ hours, and it was still holding a charge. I also let it sit for another hour afterwards and it was still going. I've used it on the standard flashing setting, but I haven't used the accelerometer (should be decelerometer) function, which they say substantially cuts down the battery life. But I have use the signal function; however, the main thing is that I want to be seen, and it does that really well. Well designed product.

What I posted above a number of months ago is still true after putting many miles on the helmet. Durable well-thought-out product. I still recommend it.

lexlion
10-17-2017, 04:41 PM
The demo version at the shop I work at seems to hang in one mode. It needs a reboot to before you can use the flashing mode and turn signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ORMojo
10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Lumos--a bit heavy, no need for turn signal feature
Torch--dorky, quasi skateboard look--but brightest by far. least ventilated.
Livall---best of all--lightest, least dorky--AND plays music via Bluetooth with tiny speakers--and you can hear ambient noise just fine.
truck drivers and other vehicles see the helmet better than lights on a bike--IM not so humble opinion...

Eventually more functionality will be combined in these helmets- some already have HR monitor helmets, other body function sensors etc.
A visor on the helmet with heads up display of "metrics" is already in the works--I have seem prototypes.
Ah---to keep your bike gadget free!
Just don't lose your fancy helmet.
Or crash--although I did crash with my Livall--still works fine.

Which specific Livall model do you have?

54ny77
10-17-2017, 05:53 PM
reminds me of this:

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/uxyiy1OBvGcbSXxosEuKpXH6rOc.jpg

MesiJezi
10-17-2017, 06:15 PM
reminds me of this:

"You'll thank me." "You'll thank me..."