PDA

View Full Version : What's that buzzing sound????

William
07-19-2006, 06:09 AM
For you local New England riders (or anyone in the know...), what is it that makes that long, loud, buzzing sound on hot days in mid to late summer? There's just something about cruising through the New England countryside on a hot summer day with a slight breeze, sunlight on my face, and that buzzing sound. It's a very soothing peaceful feeling....but what the heck is it??? :rolleyes:

Wondering William

Richard
07-19-2006, 06:42 AM
cicadas

scrooge
07-19-2006, 06:45 AM
For you local New England riders (or anyone in the know...), what is it that makes that long, loud, buzzing sound on hot days in mid to late summer? There's just something about cruising through the New England countryside on a hot summer day with a slight breeze, sunlight on my face, and that buzzing sound. It's a very soothing peaceful feeling....but what the heck is it??? :rolleyes:

Wondering William

I don't know about New England, but in the midwest I'd guess that they are cicadas...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

Tom
07-19-2006, 06:50 AM
In Vermont we called them locusts.

scrooge
07-19-2006, 06:54 AM
In Vermont we called them locusts.

Which is actually something different. (According to the Wikpedia article, cicadas are often mistakenly called locsuts. But I'm not saying you're wrong...)

Kevan
07-19-2006, 06:56 AM
chainsawing all the broken trees and limbs that have fallen and seemingly closed half of our roadways down here.

Our poor trees are getting hammered by the violent fronts that have been moving through the county.

Tom
07-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Which is actually something different. (According to the Wikpedia article, cicadas are often mistakenly called locsuts. But I'm not saying you're wrong...)

Well, they call grinders 'subs' down here and in Ohio they call soda 'pop' so if people want to call them cicadas that's OK but they're wrong. Grinders are grinders and soda is soda and locusts are locusts.

I have spoken. Now go back to work.

Too Tall
07-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Cicadids. Typically in 13 and 17 yr. cycles with some of the poor cousins who didn't get the hybernation memo arriving late ;)

Two seasons ago was our time in DC. At times the sound was loud enough to cause your ears to hurt!

victoryfactory
07-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Those are your Shimano shifters rattling

VF

Ahneida Ride
07-19-2006, 07:49 AM
It's me .... Behind ya.

Don't like those White hubs do ya Big guy ? ;)

deechee
07-19-2006, 07:58 AM
in Japan they're called "semi" and they're huuuuuge man...

dave thompson
07-19-2006, 08:34 AM
And you though our little forum had a narrow focus: http://cicadamania.com/cicadas/

gdw
07-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Tinnitus.

67-59
07-19-2006, 11:08 AM
+1 for gdw. :)

dirtdigger88
07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
maybe you have Litespeed rider stuck in your spokes-

stop your bike- pull the debris out of your wheel and stomp on its head a couple of time to make sure it doesnt bother you again-

Jason

Kevan
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
cutting its way through the chainstay.

dave thompson
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM

stop your bike- pull the debris out of your wheel and stomp on its head a couple of time to make sure it doesnt bother you again-

Jason
Good aim. LOL!

William
07-19-2006, 03:49 PM

Jason

Ran back over it a few more times to...

thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump
thump thump