PDA

View Full Version : Front and Rear Lights for On Road Use

Splash
10-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Hello.

I am in the market for a new set of lights for road use only.

70% of the time will be on main roads with reasonable lighting, but the other 30% will be on unlit country roads.

Needs to have solid and durable mounting that does not come lose during the journey, at least 10 solid hours battery life, lightweight, waterproof, USB plug in charge and excellent light emitting properties.

Ideally, I need to see grooves in the road, separated bitumen and drain lid depressions, branches, sticks, etc..

Front light Option 1 - Majority of time - want to be seen (visibility light so others can see me)

Front light Option 2 - Majority of time - lighting up road (headlight to see road)

Any suggestions?

Splash

kramnnim
10-13-2016, 10:23 AM
...10 hours out of one battery?

estilley
10-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Not sure about 10 hours battery life...

But I really like my Cygolite mitycross 300. Small, very powerful, and very programmable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ergott
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
10 hours? Go for a dynamo hub and light setup.

Hubs - Shimano, SP or Son
Lights - most B&M

Start here for more information.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/plight.php

fourflys
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM
so for a light to see by, 10 hrs is going to be hard... my suggestion would be take your charging cord to work and charge during the day if this for commuting...

I'm a huge fan of Niterider lights, made in San Diego, great company to deal with IF there are any issues, and fantastic light properties...

I suggest looking at this page as it will give you the run times, depending on mode (lumens) for each light...

https://www.niterider.com/road/

I used the equivalent of the 600 when I commuted a few years ago (starting in the Dark, roads with cracks, etc) and it was fantastic...

fourflys
10-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Lights - most B&M

that would be your only option I think for a light to see by... for that long of a time period without recharging...

miguel
10-13-2016, 12:30 PM

this

ColonelJLloyd
10-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Another pile on for a dynamo lighting setup. There may be new lights I'm not aware of, but by and large dynamo powered headlights have superior beams to illuminate road surfaces. That fact often gets overlooked when simply comparing lux or lumen values.

cdn_bacon
10-13-2016, 12:43 PM
if you are Canadian

I use this. 480 lumens, rechargeable, I've had it in -21 and torrential downpour. still functions as it should. on super bright it easily fills up an entire car lane.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5032-171/Zinger-480---USB-LED-Headlight

berserk87
10-13-2016, 12:50 PM
I have a Cygolite Metro 420. I don't ride with it to see, but for visibility only (i.e. for me to BE seen). I can run it on "flash" at the high setting. I have to charge it about once a month, if that. In the heart of the season I typically ride 1,000 miles per month on one charge. It's a great light - durable and visible. I've used it year-round in hot weather and into single digits, and in rain & snow. I got it on sale for about $65.00.

For lighting the road in order to see, I would not be able to offer anything. I don't ride in the dark enough conditions for that, and the Cygolite might be a bad option.

I'm still trying to find a good tail light. I have had bad experiences with the Nite Rider product that I have used. True, I bought their low end light (the "Cherry Bomb"). It was bright and visible and I liked it, when it was not breaking. I broke two in quick order when the mounts snapped during rides. Had to backtrack and find the light flashing in the weeds each time. The third one had an LED go bad, and also got water in it which corroded the battery contacts. I did not have the heart to return the third one to the shop after returning the other 2.

I have a Serfas rechargeable tail light now. I like the mounting system and the light is bright. Even on flash setting, I only get about 4 hours out of it. That I don't like so much. It was cheap though.

mmfs
10-13-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm pleased with my battery powered Ixon IQ Premium.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.php

Has a wide beam spread for seeing the road - this is a world of difference from any more typical "pinpoint" spotlight. I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries and carry a spare set. Says that it lasts five hours, but I've not had the opportunity to use it that long.

phutterman
10-13-2016, 01:24 PM
I've had really good results with Light and Motion products.

Their Imjin 800 (looks like an update to the older Stella I have) uses an external battery for longer life (and is presumably swappable) and claims 8hrs life on low (which I'd believe, based on my older one) which is still 200 lumens. Something like that might be a good option.

These days I use my one-piece Urban 650 a lot more than the Stella just because it's easier to take on and off, but the option to bring/use both is nice (and the two-piece style lets you mount just the light on your helmet and have the battery in your pocket if you want to helmet mount it or double up with that and one on the bars for night dirt riding, for instance).

Splash
10-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys - keep those recommendations going...

I guess i was over zealous on the 10 hours battery life. That figure was just a random 'stab in the dark'. No i know that is not possible, I just want a light that will not go flat or fade during a 4-5 hour ride during night time...

Not into the dynamo lights.

Splash

classtimesailer
10-13-2016, 03:26 PM
You don't have to go with a dyno hub.
A bottle generator does the job.
You cannot get a battery headlight that works as well as the dyno offerings.

steamer
10-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Bee's knees (when it materializes): http://www.eurobike-show.com/eb-en/press/exhibitors-releases-detail.php?ListeID=2487&sMode=detail

FWIW, I get over 8 hours on my Ixon IQ with a set of four AA lithium cells.

But those are pricey so I only use those type for special events.

For more routine use, good quality fully charged NiCads will get me about 4.5 hrs on high, then it automatically goes to low power and functions for another 40 minutes or so before turning off.

steamer
10-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Truth.

donevwil
10-13-2016, 03:54 PM
My wife really likes her Light & Motion Vis 360 Plus. Small, simple, helmet mounted, powerful on high setting or long run time on low.

She commutes with both the L&M and a dyno (overkill demanded by husband). Once I forgot to plug in the dyno wire after a tire change before her commute and she rode the round trip (40mi) in the dark with only the L&M. Worked great, she just ran it at a higher setting. Half the route is unlit county roads.

Billybob62
10-13-2016, 03:57 PM
+1 on the Busch&Muller Ixon IQ premium. Low power run time (which is fine for being seen and seeing pavement on roads with street lights) is 20 hours. It's easy to switch to high power on dark country roads or while descending.

Andy sti
10-13-2016, 04:10 PM
I love the Light and Motion lights. I use an Urban 800 up front and the Vis 180 in the back. Finished last nights intervals in the dark - gotta stay in cross shape! The Vis 180 is such a great rear light. Again, back to the 10hour battery life, dyno is probably best for your wants.

MaraudingWalrus
10-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Jumping on the dynamo bandwagon. Just finally got that rigged up on my three speed fixed gear commuter. SP hub with Supernova lights - quite nice! Now I just need to go ride more...

trener1
10-14-2016, 07:05 PM
A few others have already mentioned Cygolite but not this particular model.
I have the Expilion 800 that I really like, the flash mode lasts for 4 hours (according to their website) and the medium setting which is 425 Lumens, plenty bright to see is rated at 2 hours.
Not 10 hours that your looking for, however the battery is not built in, so if you carry a few small/extra batteries in your pocket you should get to 10 hours.
As far as the mount, it's rock solid, I have used it on my Mt. Bike on some rough singletrack and it didn't move at all.
Have a look
http://www.cygolite.com/product/expilion-850-usb/

Anarchist
10-14-2016, 07:08 PM

Lights - most B&M

^this.

The only answer.

Splash
10-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Any one using the niterider Luminaâ„¢ OLED Series of front light and can provide recommendations?

https://www.niterider.com/road/

Splash

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Fenix BT20 with two Panasonic 18650 rechargable batteries runs 8.5 hours on the medium 300 lumen output, 5 hours on the 450 lume output, and over 24 hours on 100 lumens. One spare set of batteries weighing about 90gr is what I carried on PBP.

I've done Brevets up to Grande Randonnee and even the TransAm Bike Race on them.

I have many reasons for preferring this setup over a dynamo but that is not what you asked.

80 bucks plus batteries. Crono Nob mount on the fork or head tube.

If you want a USB recharagable Fenix 21 is smaller, lighter and is not bad but not as good as the BT20 for throw, width, or burn time.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 08:29 PM

That is disputable.

I can't tell you how many times the wires broke, the headlamp got wet, or the hub stopped working...on dynamo setups.

Any of the dynamo German lights put out a harsh, white light that is very fatiguing. The narrow beam isn't of much help seeing deer or other critters. And they are not all that bright.

ergott
10-15-2016, 08:41 PM
@Riv

You have experience with USB and dyno. Can you compare relative brightness of the two? One is measured lux and the other in lumen. Not sure how they compare side to side.

I never found the two lights I've used (IQ-X or Luxos U) harsh, but maybe that's just my eyes.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 09:00 PM
@Riv

You have experience with USB and dyno. Can you compare relative brightness of the two? One is measured lux and the other in lumen. Not sure how they compare side to side.

I never found the two lights I've used (IQ-X or Luxos U) harsh, but maybe that's just my eyes.

I've never seen real data comparing. One can calculate power easily but where the light goes is an entirely more difficult thing to measure.

I'm going by maybe hundreds our hours experience riding with others.

My lights have more throw and are less harsh to my eye.

I have no problems on fast descents like 35-40 mph using the 450 lumens setting but mostly use the 300 lumens setting although when climbing or if it is a very dark night and I'm not going very fast, the lowest setting is just fine if there is not background light all over the place meaning I'm riding in the country. I tend to average 10-12 hours per battery set.

Splash
10-16-2016, 04:10 AM
A few others have already mentioned Cygolite but not this particular model.
I have the Expilion 800 that I really like, the flash mode lasts for 4 hours (according to their website) and the medium setting which is 425 Lumens, plenty bright to see is rated at 2 hours.
Not 10 hours that your looking for, however the battery is not built in, so if you carry a few small/extra batteries in your pocket you should get to 10 hours.
As far as the mount, it's rock solid, I have used it on my Mt. Bike on some rough singletrack and it didn't move at all.
Have a look
http://www.cygolite.com/product/expilion-850-usb/

Hey Trener1 -

This link displays some fairly ordinary views on the mount of the 850...

https://www.rei.com/product/880140/cygolite-expilion-850-usb-front-bike-light

Have a read and let me know your thoughts on the mounting of the 800. The mounting of the 800 has not changed to the 850.

How has your mount performed for the 800?

I also read that the battery can fall out and that the pulse light is not as good as the Metro 550 in the earlier series.. Your thoughts on these items?

Splash

Llewellyn
10-16-2016, 05:01 AM
Ay up - and based in Brisvegas

trener1
10-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Hmm either I got very lucky and got the one good unit or the people that shop at REI are morons (joke).
I have used mine both on my Mt Bike riding singletrack and on my road bike, using both the helmet and bar mount and it's been solid as a rock.
As for fitting modern bars, for reference I have the Pro Vibe 7S which is a pretty "fat" bar and it fits on it no problem.
Though I can't say 100%, but from looking at the picture I'd say that the 800 and 850 are using the same mount.

jr59
10-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Fenix BT20 with two Panasonic 18650 rechargable batteries runs 8.5 hours on the medium 300 lumen output, 5 hours on the 450 lume output, and over 24 hours on 100 lumens. One spare set of batteries weighing about 90gr is what I carried on PBP.

I've done Brevets up to Grande Randonnee and even the TransAm Bike Race on them.

I have many reasons for preferring this setup over a dynamo but that is not what you asked.

80 bucks plus batteries. Crono Nob mount on the fork or head tube.

If you want a USB recharagable Fenix 21 is smaller, lighter and is not bad but not as good as the BT20 for throw, width, or burn time.

This is what I find to be true also!

jmeloy
10-16-2016, 12:23 PM
For the rear, Dinotte Quad Red. It's the gold standard. Pricey but cars start moving over 1/4 mile before they get to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p nut
10-16-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a Lezyne SuperDrive (900 Lum) that I've enjoyed. Bright for night rides and for daytime riding as well. I always have my light with me now, even on sunny days.

Mount is solid. It's the clamp with the screw, not the rubber strap. I've taken it mountain biking and on rough gravel roads and it stays put. It's plenty for me with about 2-3 hours of night ride plus at least 8 hrs in blink mode. Never tested the limit. Just buy another battery if you're worried. ($10-20).

I've had a gen hub (SON with Edelux) on a bike I sold, and while very nice, I won't be replacing it with another since my rides just don't justify it. Plus, I like the quick swap ability to other bikes.

This version is brighter than mine, but mount is the same.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/lezyne-super-drive-1200-xxl-loaded-light-kit

sailorboy
10-16-2016, 05:54 PM
I like my niterider lumina 750 or whatever they are, got a pair on close-out at REI. Was really happy until they started popping off the plastic mounting bracket whenever I hit rough spots like seams where roads meet and such. One time it popped off and tumbled into busy rush hour traffic, forcing me to just ride away and abandon it in disgust.

So now I have just one. NR was good to send a replacement bracket, but it's basically the same thing, tho so far the incident hasn't been repeated.

I also ended up with a L+M urban 800 which seems like a more sturdy connection but it is able to rotate around the bars easier than I would prefer, so I just adjust as needed. The battery life is also shorter on the L+M than NR, so I do have to keep the USB cord at work to charge sometimes. The L+M is sleeker and lower profile than the NR unit.