PDA

View Full Version : Tandem tire suggestions?

DerekB
10-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Any advice on good tandem tires? I have 28 mm not sure what brand right now maybe Panaracer. They measure 24 mm only. I think 35's will easily clear the frame.
Need brand/model suggestions.
Thanks.

weisan
10-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32

GregL
10-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Panaracer T-Serv (http://www.panaracer.com/tserv-pt). The best tandem training/touring tire I have found. Puncture resistant, reasonable weight, and reasonable price.

Greg

Tandem Rider
10-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Gatorskins for everything but racing on paved roads. Good durability, reasonable performance. We've even toured on them a couple of times.

I like Spesh Triggers for gravel and dirt roads.

KVN
10-13-2016, 08:20 PM
We use 38mm Voyager Hypers. Awesome tires, nearly as light as Compass stuff, and very cheap from Planet X right now.

IFRider
10-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Gatorskins for everything but racing on paved roads. Good durability, reasonable performance. We've even toured on them a couple of times.

I like Spesh Triggers for gravel and dirt roads.

32mm seem to be a good compromise for crummy local roads and handling. Even do occasional rail trial just fine. Can be found on sale pretty easily (REI).

Warren

zap
10-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Much depends on where you ride your tandem. Conti GP4K2 25c tires have been super for our road tandem cycling needs up and down the east coast USA and Europe.

CSTRider
10-14-2016, 12:16 AM
We also use 32mm Gatorskins. Have used these on week-long tours (Ride the Rockies and Cycle Oregon) and they are extremely durable and comfortable on everything from asphalt to smooth dirt.

What's nice about this tire size: you don't have to use max pressure (we weigh 290 and run them at 85-90 psi depending on load) and the extra volume gives a little extra reaction time if something unexpected occurs. We have another 700C tandem that we use a lot on dirt and gravel, and have been running Forte Metro ST tire at 75 psi with great results. The Fortes are ridiculously inexpensive and definitely slower than Gatorskins on smooth roads - but riding gravel is just so much fun ...

weisan
10-14-2016, 05:15 AM
We use 38mm Voyager Hypers. Awesome tires, nearly as light as Compass stuff, and very cheap from Planet X right now.

Thanks KVN pal for the heads up, I am interested in giving the Hypers a try.

Anyone has a coupon code or free shipping for Planet X?

El Chaba
10-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Tandems eat tires...especially on the rear. The Michelin Dynamic works pretty well for this duty too....

Tandem Rider
10-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Exactly. I ride a pair until the rear is getting pretty far down and the replace both. I then use the fronts to train on with my single bike. 800-1000 is about it for a rear tire.

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 03:42 PM
GP 4 Seasons would be my pick!

Ti Designs
10-14-2016, 04:58 PM
That really depends on the tandem and how you ride it. I have two tandems, a Ritchey Skyliner with 26" mountain bike wheels and a Co-Motion Robusta. The Ritchey has Maxis High Rollers, they roll well, but they don't mind rolling over stuff. To be honest, I haven't tested many tires on that bike, the skinny Specialized FatBoys were just wrong... My Co-Motion has been a true test of tires. I started with Conti Gatorskins, which I didn't like at all. A combination of too stiff and too hard made hard cornering sketchy. My go-to tire on that bike is the 700x25 Michelin Pro2 (I'm on my last set). For a tandem tire they have more grip than anything else I've ever used. If you've ever seen how I come down Cadillac mountain in Acadia, you would understand. Other tires I've tried haven't been durable enough, which seems odd 'cause Michelin isn't exactly know for their durability. The tandem I've been thinking about as of late is the Co-Motion Java, 'cause it does everything. That bike running Conti 42c SpeedX tires, I think we could do some damage on the dirt hammer ride.

zap
10-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Exactly. I ride a pair until the rear is getting pretty far down and the replace both. I then use the fronts to train on with my single bike. 800-1000 is about it for a rear tire.

Mileage seems rather low.

I don't keep accurate track of mileage for each bike, but a weekly tandem ride and the fact that I change tires on our tandem once every 2 years or so, our mileage has to be closer to 2000.

Tandem Rider
10-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Mileage seems rather low.

I don't keep accurate track of mileage but as much as we ride our tandem and the fact that I change tires on our tandem once every 2 years, our mileage has to be closer to 2000.

I might be a little low on the estimate, but not by much, usually 2 sets per year. We run 28's instead 32's of on the road so maybe that's part of it, so is paranoia. We flatted on the tandem at 40 mph or so, in a hard curve. Quick loss of air. I don't know how we stayed up, but we used the whole road doing it, very good thing there was no oncoming traffic. It was my fault, tires were worn out and I was being cheap. There will never be an encore performance because the tires are worn down. I just toss the rears and move the fronts over to my training wheels and finish them off there. I don't care very much if I flat on a single bike, I won't crash.

zap
10-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Similar happened to us years ago, front 23c tire exploded (still remember seeing the puff of white talcum powder) on a descent but alas, riding on aluminum is like riding a bike on ice. We went down. Tire was past it's prime. Ever since, worn or not, even if the tire looks good, after two years in the waste bin it goes.

weisan
10-15-2016, 10:59 AM
If you like to go fast and you want bigger volume... Do yourself a favor, check out the Spec Roubaix pro.

Tandem Rider
10-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Some very good friends of ours went through that twice. Now she won't ride fast with him. That ain't happening. He was just devastated after the second time. I think the first time would do me in. I had to come to the conclusion that I would gladly pay $100 to not have crashed, so I just pay it in advance and avoid the pain.

bikinchris
10-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Continental Ultra Gatorskins 700x28 have served me well. And my team is NOT light. Gator Hard shell would work also.

Aaron O
10-15-2016, 07:25 PM
My wife hates flats, so I go for puncture resistance...

Marathon plus.

marciero
10-16-2016, 06:52 AM
I have opted for ride and comfort over durability and tread life, with 42 Compass 650b on our most-used tandem. I have roughly 1000 miles on the set that is on there, including lots of gravel, and they seem to still have life. That bike had Gatorskins on 700 wheels when we got it. The other bike has either 700c Compass 32 or Vittoria XN, which was what I had lying around but are surprisingly comfortable. Stoker did not like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme I tried on the rear for a short time.

I take due note of comments about blowouts and crashing though. My stoker has grown comfortable with fast descents and aggressive cornering over the year we've ridden tandems. I know all of that trust would go out window with a single crash.

zap
10-17-2016, 08:45 AM
edit

I take due note of comments about blowouts and crashing though. My stoker has grown comfortable with fast descents and aggressive cornering over the year we've ridden tandems. I know all of that trust would go out window with a single crash.

It took me some time after our crash before I started "attacking" descents but my wife was solid all through our "recovery". She was exceptional the one time (about a year after our crash) the front slide out on wet roads-she threw out her right leg in the direction of the slide right as I counter steered. She saved us from going down.