PDA

View Full Version : Translation

Veloo
10-13-2016, 06:05 AM
Figured some of you would get a kick out of this.

Cicli
10-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Seems about right.

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 03:41 PM
this made me laugh out loud

regularguy412
10-14-2016, 07:29 PM
this made me laugh out loud

Me Too!! :))

geordanh
10-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Sram popularized one by cause they realized they'd never be able to design a front derailleur where the chain stays on when you shift.

oldpotatoe
10-15-2016, 05:48 AM
but no surprise I guess, particularly to Don..;)

simonov
10-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Sram popularized one by cause they realized they'd never be able to design a front derailleur where the chain stays on when you shift.

Such a tired comment. Yaw front derailleurs are great. Better than Shimano's silly long arm design or Campy's 8 trim stop FDs, in my experience.

Cicli
10-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Such a tired comment. Yaw front derailleurs are great. Better than Shimano's silly long arm design or Campy's 8 trim stop FDs, in my experience.

Yeah. Hence the push to 1X. The only frame I have ever had torn up from a dropped chain was from s(h)ram. In 35 years. Shimano, Campy. Never had an issue.

simonov
10-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah. Hence the push to 1X. The only frame I have ever had torn up from a dropped chain was from s(h)ram. In 35 years. Shimano, Campy. Never had an issue.

What push to 1x? They offer 1x and 2x across some of their range. Only 2x at the top with Red on the road side. Shimano is starting to dip their toes in the 1x on the mountain side of things. Maybe they're accepting that SRAM was onto something for certain applications.

A dropped chain from any group, even old sram, has more to do with incorrect setup. If we're trading anecdotes, though, the only frame I've ever torn up from a dropped chain came from the vaunted 7800 Dura-Ace. My SRAM bikes, on the other hand, have been spot on. I have another anecdote of a friend who almost had a trip to Italy (ironically) ruined when his Campy SR FD cage split in half and he was in a small town. Or my buddy who managed to crack a DA 9000 crank with his whopping 150 pounds. Point is that sometimes stuff breaks and sometimes stuff is incorrectly installed, even by "pro" mechanics.

Back to SRAM, the old ti-cage Red FD was flimsy and shifting was vague, which led some people, myself included, to use the lower end Force FD to get the steel cage. That FD worked fine. The YAW cages are great. And I really don't have a dog in the fight. I use groups from all three companies at multiple levels in their line and they're all good. Bike parts are pretty universally good these days. But it's nonsense to rehash the old joke that SRAM introduced 1x so they could stop making FDs, particularly because they still make FDs and now the only other real player on the mountain side is following them into the world of 1x.