PDA

View Full Version : Look 595 Di2 (Gen1) with 32 tooth Cog

hairylegs
10-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Hey all! FINALLY getting back into riding and looking to climb more "easily." Having some trouble with the 32...I've got a second hand 1st Generation DI2 setup which I believe is a medium cage. Any tips here? See video THANKS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-tGdg0Zds

dustyrider
10-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Hey all! FINALLY getting back into riding and looking to climb more "easily." Having some trouble with the 32...I've got a second hand 1st Generation DI2 setup which I believe is a medium cage. Any tips here? See video THANKS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-tGdg0Zds

The obvious problem is that you "get high"... ;)

B screw ("this little guy") adjustment, thingy that wolf tooth makes or maybe a longer screw might work, but it may just be too small of a cage on the rear mech.

hairylegs
10-12-2016, 11:42 PM
"this little guy" is obviously "too high"

Ha. So you think a longer screw might help? Can I get a longer cage or am I SoL?

Anybody know the threading off hand to that little guy?

THANKS!

dave thompson
10-13-2016, 12:25 AM
Cody, it's easy to remove your B-screw to take to a decent hardware store to find one that's 5mm longer. If there's an ACE hardware nearby, they have an excellent assortment of stainless metric screws and bolts. Your 'little guy' is a common metric size.

hairylegs
10-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks all. Well, this has turned out to be a bit messy....

The part that holds the B-screw has very little thread left. I was able to tap 8-32 but the derailleur hanger doesn't have a lot of purchase left for a much longer screw.

I was able to extend it to the max, but still have that "rub." In reading more it seems that the original Di2 had a short cage. So perhaps this is ill advised! I'm thinking about going down to a 30 tooth...

Thoughts?

cmbicycles
10-13-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't know that a 32 will work with that derailleur. You probably won't be climbing in your big ring, and don't want to x-chain anyway, so not making that last shift in the big ring isn't that big a deal if the rest works and you are mindful of the shifting limitations. It appears to work in the small ring which is where you would be climbing and needing that gear most of the time, unless you are a climbing beast and climb in the big ring...

The threads on the derailleur were likely M4 x0.7, 8-32 is slightly larger so you may not be able to use the appropriate metric screw anymore.

Is that a compact crank? If not going to a compact might give enough room to make that last shift on the 32, or give you similar gearing with a smaller cassette.

hairylegs
10-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Got it - so "ripping the derailler" off would only happen in big to big rings? Yep I'm compact!

Just realized my OP was to classifieds....oppps!!!

cmbicycles
10-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Ripping the derailleur off could happen at any time depending on your power output. ;) The chain is usually under harder loads when in the big ring.