PDA

View Full Version : Lycra iron on patches?

Dead Man
10-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Put a couple of clean cuts on the hip of an almost brand new set of bibs.. No abrasion really, just two almost scissor-clean L-shaped cuts that seem like they'd be good candidates for patching. Googling, seems this question has been asked a thousand times and never really answered conclusively. But before I send em off for sewn up patches, I figured I'd check in with the bros and just make sure nobody is aware of any kind of Lycra-based heat applied patches...?

Thanks

-B

denapista
10-12-2016, 11:52 AM
I hear you can buy wet suit repair kits. It's made of the same style lycra and it irons on over holes. I'm running a carbon saddle and it's wearing the insides of my chamois stitching, and I plan on using the wet suit patch kit.

https://www.amazon.com/McNett-Iron-Mend-Repair-Black/dp/B000GT471S

Mikej
10-12-2016, 12:06 PM
I was wondering about something similar - my lightweight jerseys are taking a beating from pinning numbers, anybody have a fix? Sticky dot things?

xjoex
10-12-2016, 12:13 PM
I've used the Gore-Tex brand patch kits. They hold up to repeated washings, but they are a different texture than lycra.

-Joe

teleguy57
10-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Had a small tear at the outside of the knee of some bib knicks from a fall. It's hard place to patch because of the bending of the knee on each pedal stroke.

I used the McNett's Iron Mend. Had a few issues with the edges not sealing well so used SeamGrip adhesive to take care of that. Overall it's working; I'm guessing for a location with less movement the ironing alone would be sufficient for the patch.

ultraman6970
10-12-2016, 06:32 PM
The problem with lycra is that is not a thing of just go a put the iron over it because the patch will start melting because is pretty much made of acrylic and rubber fibers. Maybe in another material could work but you have to be carefull or you will burn the pants or whatever you are trying to patch.

teleguy57
10-12-2016, 07:25 PM
The mcnett product has a special release paper that helps keep the heat in check. Most of the patch adhered well without any damage to the bibs. I was being very careful with the heat, which could be why the edges came loose over time.

Dead Man
11-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Thread update...

The McNett patch is awesome. Worked really well. Fantastic $10 fix to save a $150-250 garmet from horribly premature retirement.

I put the patch on the outside because it seemed easier than trying to do it on the inside, but I think next time (hopefully there won't be one for a long time) if the cuts are as clean as these I might even try to do it from the inside so it looks better. As it is, it doesn't look bad, but the color doesn't match perfectly so you can definitely tell somethings weird.

But I'm actually kind of chewing on the idea of putting these patches on my bibs preemptively- they dot add any weight, don't limit leg mobility where you'd want them on the hip, and would probably keep your bibs from getting so chewed up in a crash. Maybe even help keep your hip from getting so chewed up.

A note on install... I followed the directions and let it cool off and it seemed like it had welded on ok... But I started probing and pulling at the edges to make sure it wouldn't lift up, and I was able to pull some edges up. So I cranked the heat up on the iron one tick and pressed harder, and it then passed the probe test... As well as a ride and trip through the washing machine. So fortunately it's not a one-shot to get it right kind of thing.. If it doesn't fully adhere, just get it s little hotter and make sure you're pressing hard and evenly

http://rs844.pbsrc.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsyz81ugpi.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
http://rs844.pbsrc.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsg9femom5.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Dead Man
11-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Big thanks to you gents who recommended McNett

David Tollefson
11-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Nice! Thanks for the review!

ultraman6970
11-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Just trashed a bib because of a hole in the crotch, I would have loved to save it using this thing. I have a hole in a leg of a 3/4 winter bib that would not complain if i can get fixed.

Now the question is, whats the name of the patch? They have several.

Dead Man
11-14-2016, 03:32 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GT471S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I ordered

sonicCows
11-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks for sharing about that kit. Any idea if it'll adhere to thin Merino layers too?

Dead Man
11-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks for sharing about that kit. Any idea if it'll adhere to thin Merino layers too?

That's tough to say, but I'd THINK not.. the only merino wool garments I have are still way too "wooly" for me to think the patch would stick very well. But can't wool be pretty easily mended with needle and thread?

ultraman6970
11-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Was asking because they have something called tenacious tape... is like a fabric tape made for rips and stuff.

Dead Man
11-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Was asking because they have something called tenacious tape... is like a fabric tape made for rips and stuff.

That stuff is great for fixing tents and even rain shell jackets and stuff in the field. I somehow didn't realize these are made by the same manufacturer..!

Isn't that, though. You saw the amazon link I posted above, right?

ultraman6970
11-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Yes i saw it... might try to buy some of that just to have it around.