PDA

View Full Version : New from Silca

bthornt
10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Remember, limit is one per customer.

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=878609aeabd6f04016a9af22a&id=ae351e02ce&e=faa3752f93

bobdenver1961
10-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Shake my head. Obviously some people have more money than sense.

FlashUNC
10-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Paint aside, there's no better pump out there these days.

fuzzalow
10-12-2016, 11:39 AM

These pumps. Like tossing red meat. And in response to keep the fun going...

Jim Young: They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the ****ing smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby.
Jim Young: Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't ****ing have any.
- Quotes from the film "Boiler Room" as delivered by the irrepressible Ben Affleck

P.S. I often pick on Ben Affleck because he plays smug jerk better than many actors. But his brother Casey Affleck has done well as an actor with far better range in his craft. If you have the chance and like cinema, see his work in "Manchester by the Sea" directed by Kenneth Lonergan.
Yes, it is not a comic book movie but sometimes movies that drama the human condition are worth the time.

joosttx
10-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Never know, these could be collector items. I think they might be an OK investment.

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 12:07 PM
dont worry, they'll sell em all.

aside from that i'll be buying one of these when they are available:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/Nove_Open_Angle_800X800_V2_grande.png?v=1474054971

eBAUMANN
10-12-2016, 12:13 PM
its art, they are selling art, $800 paintings on a $400 canvas...it really isnt all that absurd.
especially considering it is a FUNCTIONAL painting with pretty much guaranteed collector value down the line.

if i had the money id probably grab one.
far stupider things to spend money on...new cars for example ;)

chiasticon
10-12-2016, 12:28 PM
these threads... fish in a barrel...

pdmtong
10-12-2016, 12:47 PM
I spoke to the Silca guys at NAHBS...

it's really interesting. there were many folks who would buy more than one. some would resell, others just because they wanted more than one.

anyone know the current ciavete upcharge on a respo or marcelo? isnt it about $1,000 which would put the paint premium on these pumps more expensive than similar for full frame.

FlashUNC
10-12-2016, 12:51 PM
I spoke to the Silca guys at NAHBS...

it's really interesting. there were many folks who would buy more than one. some would resell, others just because they wanted more than one.

anyone know the current ciavete upcharge on a respo or marcelo? isnt it about $1,000 which would put the paint premium on these pumps more expensive than similar for full frame.

Well, you get that paint scheme on a frame, you've limited the market for anyone interested in that frame to the people who can fit the darn thing.

The market is much larger for that one-size-fits-all pump, no?

pdmtong
10-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Well, you get that paint scheme on a frame, you've limited the market for anyone interested in that frame to the people who can fit the darn thing. The market is much larger for that one-size-fits-all pump, no?

well, sure. one way to look at it.

I really like that you took your hirami/silca into the wild and didnt baby it.

I need to let go of mental constraints and try to move in that direction...

FlashUNC
10-12-2016, 01:01 PM
well, sure. one way to look at it.

I really like that you took your hirami/silca into the wild and didnt baby it.

I need to let go of mental constraints and try to move in that direction...

I sent an email to the Silca team and they sent a very nice note back confirming that, yeah, it will take whatever you throw at it and was designed to do so. I at least proved you can drop a 20 pound tool box on the extended plunger and it won't bend or deform.

jlwdm
10-12-2016, 01:27 PM
its art, they are selling art, $800 paintings on a $400 canvas...it really isnt all that absurd.
especially considering it is a FUNCTIONAL painting with pretty much guaranteed collector value down the line.

if i had the money id probably grab one.
far stupider things to spend money on...new cars for example ;)

I would not buy the pump but I guess I am stupid because I do buy new cars.

Jeff

rwerkudara
10-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Are they really able to prohibit re-selling for a profit during a period of 6 months? Not sure how that can even be enforced.

cmbicycles
10-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Paint aside, there's no better pump out there these days.

I would doubt any of these get used much, if at all, as a pump. They are cool pieces of very functional art and if I could afford one I might get one as I appreciate high quality tools, and the paint isn't bad either. That said if they got knocked over once the value is severely besmirched... my pump seems like it is always getting knocked over.

eBAUMANN
10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
I would doubt any of these get used much, if at all, as a pump. They are cool pieces of very functional art and if I could afford one I might get one as I appreciate high quality tools, and the paint isn't bad either. That said if they got knocked over once the value is severely besmirched... my pump seems like it is always getting knocked over.

this wouldnt be your daily-air pump, it would be your special occasion pump, pulled down off the mantle only for the inaugural inflation of some freshly glued fmbs ;)

alexstar
10-12-2016, 02:18 PM
As others have said, it's a work of art that happens to be the best darn floor pump available. I'd buy one if I had the $$ lying around. I'd use it every day, too.

cmbicycles
10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
this wouldnt be your daily-air pump, it would be your special occasion pump, pulled down off the mantle only for the inaugural inflation of some freshly glued fmbs ;)
You mean I couldn't use this on my Pacific mtn bike? ;) Not as useful as I thought, I'll take it off my Christmas list then.

saab2000
10-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Never know, these could be collector items. I think they might be an OK investment.

It would be interesting to find out. Buy one and never remove it from the packaging.

stephenmarklay
10-12-2016, 04:51 PM

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=878609aeabd6f04016a9af22a&id=ae351e02ce&e=faa3752f93

and they would make such good stocking stuffers too. Oh well.

huck*this
10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Funny thing my Pegoretti comes in tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking of commemorating the day with a purchase of this pump. Yes it would be kept in a plexi glass case unlike the bike.. Does the 18% discount code work on this :crap:

I still don't think I stand a chance as these will sell out in seconds!

charliedid
10-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I see them more as home decor than art...but that's just me.

fiamme red
10-12-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd rather have a painting hanging on the wall. A frame pump is a poor canvas.

Cicli
10-12-2016, 07:19 PM
I see them more as home decor than art...but that's just me.

Mee too. My wife however sees them as basement shop decor. :help:

jlwdm
10-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Funny thing my Pegoretti comes in tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking of commemorating the day with a purchase of this pump. Yes it would be kept in a plexi glass case unlike the bike.. Does the 18% discount code work on this :crap:

I still don't think I stand a chance as these will sell out in seconds!

It will take pure luck to get one. Can you set up an online account with all your info filled in to speed up the checkout?

Jeff

Jad
10-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Yes-- "And now for the annual inflating of the FMBs. Pass the Pegoretti, and please bow your heads."

I do see these as art--pretty cool, and with actual rarefied air.

bobswire
10-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Get with the times, clinchers are the new black. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194594 ;)

huck*this
10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
All sold in mins.

blakcloud
10-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Well there is always the Richard Sachs version at eight bills.

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 10:07 AM
I think of them as art as well, functional art, of course!

OtayBW
10-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Funny thing my Pegoretti comes in tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking of commemorating the day with a purchase of this pump. Yes it would be kept in a plexi glass case unlike the bike.
Don't worry - I have a friend who bought a Luigino a couple of years ago. She also keeps the bike in a "plexiglass case" (I have never seen it; I don't know that she takes it out...). I don't know that I understand the behavior with either the bike or a pump, but I don't have to....:beer:

VoyTirando
10-14-2016, 02:44 PM
I bought the wonderful light-blue t-shirt with Silca team beamer on it, and it's my favorite T. Then a friend pointed out, "Wasn't your ex-girlfriend's name 'Sylke' and wasn't she crazy?" That kind of took the wind out of my sails. Anyone want a t-shirt? (JK, I still wear it, and my wife - who is awesome - has not made the name connection to the stories she's heard).

I would love, love, love their little torque wrench set, but I will never pay that much for something I can get less-design-y at Sears.

mwynne
10-16-2016, 04:55 PM
https://silca.cc/collections/mobile-inflation/products/tattico-mini-pump

Kind of interested. Looks like the same idea (internally stored hose) as my Lezyne Road Drive which has always served me decently. Just Silca'er. Considering giving it a go to complement the new bike.