PDA

View Full Version : Zondas with or without 10sp spacer?

galgal
10-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Greetings all, first post here. Need some advice. Just got and installed a pair of new 2016 Zondas. Am running with Chorus 10sp cassette/drive train. To my surprise, the cassette fit nice and tight without having to use the spacer provided for 10 speed. Shifting works just fine, and no problems that I can discern, based on a couple of rides. However, I'm wondering if I'm risking potential problems by not using the spacer, such as cassette biting into hub? Should I go back and install the spacer or leave well enough alone? Anything (noises etc) I should be on the lookout for if I don't use the spacer. Thanks!

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 10:32 AM
no spacer for campag 10 speed necessary.

galgal
10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Great, thanks!

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 10:40 AM
yea, no problem. great set of wheels!

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 10:40 AM
oh, and welcome to the forum!

galgal
10-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks and yeah, the Zondas are great. Replaced wheels that have vintage Record hubs laced to 32h Mavic Open Pros. Zondas obviously much lighter and stiffer, but I'm going to miss those gleaming beautiful Record hubs!

Splash
10-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Hey Galgal.

Can you provide a ride report on this C17 wheel set?

Hill performance / power transfer performance / trueness / etc..

I am close to purchasing the same set.

SPlash

galgal
10-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Splash,

I've only put about 50 miles on them, and love them so far. Light and stiff, zippy and grippy. Have Conti Grand Prix 4000s ii 25s on them and they seem comfortable enough. Had heard that the Zondas beat you up a bit, but haven't experienced that yet. Granted the two rides on them have only been about 25 miles each. Felt good during the short climbing involved. Don't know if I can speak to power transfer as am a lightweight (5'6", 130 lbs) but they feel fast enough to me. On somewhat short experience, I'd give them a 2 thumbs up.

Splash
10-13-2016, 01:31 AM
great stuff!

Thanks

SPlash

elcolombiano
10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Greetings all, first post here. Need some advice. Just got and installed a pair of new 2016 Zondas. Am running with Chorus 10sp cassette/drive train. To my surprise, the cassette fit nice and tight without having to use the spacer provided for 10 speed. Shifting works just fine, and no problems that I can discern, based on a couple of rides. However, I'm wondering if I'm risking potential problems by not using the spacer, such as cassette biting into hub? Should I go back and install the spacer or leave well enough alone? Anything (noises etc) I should be on the lookout for if I don't use the spacer. Thanks!

I have run Zondas with Campy 10 Speed for years with no spacer. Works perfect.

elcolombiano
10-13-2016, 03:14 PM
I have run Zondas with Campy 10 Speed for years with no spacer. Works perfect.

Forgot to mention these wheels are an excellent value almost as good as the Shamal wheels with just a slight weight penalty and a fraction of the price. I got them at Ribble. They do not come with the wheel bags and come with lower cost skewers which was no big deal to me. The bearings are plenty good. Wheels are aerodynamic. Ride comfort is mostly dictated by the tires and wheel pressure you use. I keep a pair in Florida where it is mostly flat so I do not notice the difference in weight over lighter wheels. I bet these wheels are lighter than anything else you can find in this price range.

galgal
10-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the input, el colombiano

ultraman6970
10-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Spacer? what spacer is the op talking about?? 1st time i heard about it.

Splash
10-14-2016, 04:44 AM
HI guys.

I just purchased the C17 in campag.

Does the free hub already come with this wheel set?

Splash

Cicli
10-14-2016, 04:59 AM
HI guys.

I just purchased the C17 in campag.

Does the free hub already come with this wheel set?

Splash

Yes it does.

Splash
10-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Why does Campagnolo recommend installing a spacer for install of a 10 sp cassette on this C17 hub?

What is the spacer for?

I want to install the 10 spd 12-30t cassette on this C17 hub.

Should I be installing the spacer or not?

SPlash

ultraman6970
10-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Hmm had to go and google about that C17 you are talking about. I might be wrong so please correct me ok? Looks like how campagnolo put those extra hyper thick spokes they are kind'a forced to move the cassette a tad bit to the outside to avoid problems with the rd???

galgal
10-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Hey Splash,

Well, I started out this thread with the same question, as I was confused by the 10sp spacer recommendation as well. I did install the cassette without the spacer and it fit just fine, and didn't really have problems though wondered if I was doing something wrong. A couple of people said the spacer wasn't necessary and I really haven't had any issues now after about 100 miles or so. But now you have me wondering again, why Campy would recommend the spacer!

oldpotatoe
10-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Why does Campagnolo recommend installing a spacer for install of a 10 sp cassette on this C17 hub?

What is the spacer for?

I want to install the 10 spd 12-30t cassette on this C17 hub.

Should I be installing the spacer or not?

SPlash

Install w/o spacer..if the biggest cog hits the spokes..'maybe' a 1mm spacer.