PDA

View Full Version : Well...that's new.

Lewis Moon
10-12-2016, 10:12 AM
I had just completed the lung horking portion of my workout this AM and downshifted to the small ring to recover on a little section of rises when, crap...I shipped my chain to the inside. In good 'ol CX fashion I just popped the front mech over to pick the chain back up on the small ring (almost always works) when the chain just stops moving. I coast to a stop and wonder what the hell happened. In the dark I see a flake of white flutter to the ground and I immediately knew I had popped off the magnet to my Quarq. What I didn't realize was said niobium magnet was now lodged in my Record rear mech jamming the lower jockey pulley. I couldn't move either the pulley or the chain and it was dark so...phone call of shame. Bike is fine and running again but I now really want a chain keeper. :mad:

chiasticon
10-12-2016, 10:26 AM
d'oh!

yeah, don't race cx with a double and no chain keeper. if you ever have the chain on the little ring and crash or slide out or something, you'll almost definitely lose your chain. however, the double-edge sword of the chain keeper is that every once in a while when this scenario happens, you get to then fish the chain out from underneath the chain keeper. good times! :banana:

quauhnahuac
10-12-2016, 12:40 PM
sounds like the quarq was the problem, not the lack of chainkeeper, no? in any case, many quarqs can be upgraded to magnetless, maybe yours is one of those models.