PDA

View Full Version : OT: This book of faces everyone speaks of.

Cicli
10-12-2016, 04:05 AM
I have never been on facebook. Just dont do it. Any other social media holdouts? I dont really care about most of the things I hear people do there but often find myself missing out on the whats happening and product information because it always ends up there. I dont know why but I have never had an interest. Now I am a bit facebook curious.

Llewellyn
10-12-2016, 05:03 AM
I had a Facebook account for a while years ago but closed it after the novelty of writing about what you'd been doing that day wore off. I don't have enough time to do the things I want to do without then writing about them on the internet. I haven't missed it at all and my gut feeling is that the whole Facebook phenomena is beginning to fade.

I've never done twitter and can't see the point of it.

SlowPokePete
10-12-2016, 05:28 AM
I only do Instagram.

No FaceBook.

SPP

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 05:30 AM
No facebook account here. No interest either.

Tandem Rider
10-12-2016, 05:31 AM
I just don't have time for it. Mrs. TR is on quite a bit, I think she gets a kick out of hearing what people are up to. I hear all of the important social events and all the family news from her, just like before Facebook was invented. I guess all that it does for me is Mrs. TR gets her info from there rather than picking up the phone, like in the olden' days. :rolleyes:

I just can't understand why people get so wrapped around the axle over what someone posts on there. We all seem to let it roll of our shoulders when we hear worse things at a party, on a ride, or while at work. :confused:

oldpotatoe
10-12-2016, 05:31 AM
I have never been on facebook. Just dont do it. Any other social media holdouts? I dont really care about most of the things I hear people do there but often find myself missing out on the whats happening and product information because it always ends up there. I dont know why but I have never had an interest. Now I am a bit facebook curious.

Don't do it unless you need , absolutely NEED to find somebody. It is a black hole, a swirling abyss that you will not be able to get out of..just say no..

-Not on falsebook, never have been, never will be. Nor twitter, not all the others..

-email, this forum, cyclingnews forum..and that's it.

2LeftCleats
10-12-2016, 05:41 AM
Have been tempted but wife passes on family news from it. Looks like a huge time suck so maybe when I retire but I'm so far behind other reading that it would only make me feel more guilty. This is bad enough.

Cicli
10-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Don't do it unless you need , absolutely NEED to find somebody. It is a black hole, a swirling abyss that you will not be able to get out of..just say no..

-Not on falsebook, never have been, never will be. Nor twitter, not all the others..

-email, this forum, cyclingnews forum..and that's it.

Sort of my feeling. Swirling abyss. Plus, I dont really give a damn what most people are doing most of the time.
The wife and I were at a nice restruant the other night. This young couple were posing with their dinner and putting the pictures on some media thing. Looked like a couple of dorks. I told the wife I would only do that with my dinner after I was completely done with it. Completely. I got "the look".

Peter P.
10-12-2016, 06:13 AM
You all should be lucky I'm HERE! Forget Facebook; I don't even own a cellphone.

chiasticon
10-12-2016, 06:40 AM
no facebook. never have. had myspace back in the day, and mainly then just for networking for a band I was in. so when FB became the thing, and the band was dead, I went "meh." wife has FB, so if I miss something "BIG" (lol) then I'll hear from her. but my friends will still occasionally rib me for not being on it, and tag her on there, when really it's intended for me. which annoys the wife, so that's fun... :p

I do enjoy Instagram though. I observe far more than I actually post, but I like that it's simple and easier to consume/dismiss and it's less of a forum for people to argue or air their whole life story online at. and for me it's not so much a time suck as it is a "let me just unwind and turn my brain off for a minute..."

Schmed
10-12-2016, 06:55 AM
The plus side is that I get to see what my extended family is up to back east.

The downside is that family and friends will post political topics that mostly consist of "your candidate is such a loser because......., and if you vote for them, you are an idiot"

And that affects friendships.

daker13
10-12-2016, 07:06 AM
Have never done the face book. At my advanced age, I figure I just have to wait a few years and it'll go away.

There's an antiques store near my hometown, and I like the guys who run it and their tastes. They use Facebook to post new stuff, some of which I've bought. I used to be able to look at their new listings without having an account, but about a year ago, I started to get a hovering 'sign in!' box whenever I went to their web page. It would be so easy to give in and sign up for an account just to see their listings, but instead, I stopped buying stuff from them online--too high a price.

Anyone watch the debate the other night and notice how many times the moderators mentioned face book? What was up with that?

paredown
10-12-2016, 07:34 AM
The plus side is that I get to see what my extended family is up to back east.

The downside is that family and friends will post political topics that mostly consist of "your candidate is such a loser because......., and if you vote for them, you are an idiot"

And that affects friendships.

I'm thinking of killing my account for this reason. Good friends who are politically active think the war of ideas will be won on Facebook--and all you get is more anger, hostility and bickering. It's not like anyone will change their minds because of what you post!

It's another arena where good manners don't apply ('no arguments about religion or politics'), and people feel free to rant.

I do like getting a sense of what old friends who don't live close are up to, but the platform irritates me more than the news cheers me up.

Tickdoc
10-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I only facebook by proxy. I set up an account for my dog years ago, and he loves it.

He also has more friends than I do:p

eddief
10-12-2016, 07:57 AM
All the social media anyone really needs.

redir
10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I like it and it has been very useful for my business. IMHO you are missing out on a lot if you are not on it. Don't forget you get to follow who you want to follow so if you don't like someone then out the door they go.

guido
10-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Paceline and VSalon are as close to social media as I choose to indulge.

EDS
10-12-2016, 08:31 AM
I enjoy facebook. I have a lot of friends and family that do not live close and facebook helps to stay connected. And to be clear, I do not believe facebook should replace phone calls or flying out to Denver or Seattle to visit friends/family.

At the end of the day, social media, and I would include this forum (and any other forum) within what I think of as social media, is what you make of it - if it is a positive in your life then great, if not, then there are many other ways to add positive interactions in your daily life.

jemoryl
10-12-2016, 08:41 AM
I have never seen the attraction, and now that the data hoovering and creepy tracking done by the social media companies has been exposed, I have no regrets. No Gmail for me either.

One thing that really bothers me is when a small business, a restaurant for example, doesn't bother to have a proper website, just a FB page. A non-user, like myself, will get this obnoxious banner imploring one to log in before being able to properly view the site. As the banner is very persistent, I usually close the tab and move on. I guess those businesses can afford to turn away potential customers?

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 08:48 AM
One thing that really bothers me is when a small business, a restaurant for example, doesn't bother to have a proper website, just a FB page. A non-user, like myself, will get this obnoxious banner imploring one to log in before being able to properly view the site. As the banner is very persistent, I usually close the tab and move on. I guess those businesses can afford to turn away potential customers?

i totally agree! seems very unprofessional to me to have only a FB page. i dont even bother opening those anymore.

RFC
10-12-2016, 08:55 AM
I have only a very minor presence on FB, however, I make very significant use of Linkedin to keep track of my colleagues around the world and for marketing purposes. For me, it's sort of a digital rolodex that updates itself as people move and change jobs.

dgauthier
10-12-2016, 10:04 AM
I actively avoid Facebook and encourage others to do the same.

I am very computer literate (program in C, C++, python, do some system administration) and work in a very technical computing-related industry. I am extremely uncomfortable with how much information Facebook compiles and cross-references about their members.

dave thompson
10-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm on Facebook pretty much daily. My interests are fairly narrow; immediate family, friends, couple of bicycle sites and what's of interest to me in Mexico; Talk Baja and Expats Living in Mexico. The last two have often provided me with instant pertinent info regarding hurricanes, driving conditions and other things I need to know. Plus it's easy to communicate with the guys who do work for me there.

I find it easy to ignore what I have no interest in.

redir
10-12-2016, 10:19 AM
I have never seen the attraction, and now that the data hoovering and creepy tracking done by the social media companies has been exposed, I have no regrets. No Gmail for me either.

If that is the case then they are doing it wrong. You can make Facebook pages open to the public. It's a very handy tool and a smart thing for a business to do but it has to be managed correctly.

jemoryl
10-12-2016, 11:18 AM
If that is the case then they are doing it wrong. You can make Facebook pages open to the public. It's a very handy tool and a smart thing for a business to do but it has to be managed correctly.

Funny, but I can't recall encountering even one. They all seem to have that pop-up (slide-up?) banner. A lot are restaurants, wineries, travel....

jemoryl
10-12-2016, 11:21 AM
I actively avoid Facebook and encourage others to do the same.

I am very computer literate (program in C, C++, python, do some system administration) and work in a very technical computing-related industry. I am extremely uncomfortable with how much information Facebook compiles and cross-references about their members.

Yeah, look at this one:

https://www.aclunc.org/blog/facebook-instagram-and-twitter-provided-data-access-surveillance-product-marketed-target

AJosiahK
10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
I have one but rarely use it. I really don't like it.

If your in the data arena, FB is one of those firms who gathers and shoves them into algorithms that other companies then

Now that Fb owns insta... there is that too.

OtayBW
10-12-2016, 11:55 AM
I find it easy to ignore what I have no interest in.I wish I had that skill. For me, the signal:noise is so low that it's hard to filter out the minutiae and fluff that is pervasive.

Dead Man
10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
I wish I had that skill. For me, the signal:noise is so low that it's hard to filter out the minutiae and fluff that is pervasive.

I have about 130 friends, all people I actually know, but have probably half of them "unfollowed." Usually for posting political garbage, which I have absolutely zero interest in either way.

Facebook group pages are pretty important for local group activities. Most of these local groups or clubs or whatever wouldn't even exist outside of Facebook, let alone be very active and functional. Facebook allows the easy and free creation of social groups that just plain didn't exist before. Free, easy to set up, no web design, just come up with a name, post pictures and invite members. Whole cycling clubs and even teams do all of their communication via Facebook groups... So for me, that's one of the biggest reasons for FB.

also value the ability to keep my social network bigger than it could ever be without it, and keep up with distant friends and family. It's pretty cool to maintain those connections with guys I haven't seen in years, and be a couple clicks away from "hey man I'm in town this week lets get some beeeeeers!"

I also love funny memes

weisan
10-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Now I am a bit facebook curious.

Cicli, haven't you heard the sayin' "curiosity kills the cat"?

You are not missing much....you are fine...as you were.

malcolm
10-12-2016, 12:45 PM
No facebook never have never will.
Started instagram a year or so ago and like it. Mostly to look at other people's pictures of things I like.

redir
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Funny, but I can't recall encountering even one. They all seem to have that pop-up (slide-up?) banner. A lot are restaurants, wineries, travel....

Advertising yes but I mean there should not be a login to Facebook in order to view a Facebook page (website) for a business.

They have to make their money somehow so ad's is it. Just think of it like watching TV in the old days.

gasman
10-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Deactivated my FB account several years ago. Rarely used it and the signal:noise ratio made me not care. I'm sure I'll never go back no matter how curious I get.

biker72
10-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I use Facebook to get family news from relatives in other states.

false_Aest
10-12-2016, 03:11 PM
http://www.theonion.com/video/internet-archaeologists-find-ruins-of-friendster-c-14389

makoti
10-12-2016, 03:13 PM
I use FB. It's hardly the Great Satan it's made out to be. There are many layers to it, and you can brush the surface or get sucked into wasting you entire day on it. You can choose to see pretty much what you want & avoid most of the other stuff. Plus, there is a "secret" face book filled with secret groups that don't show in a normal feed that can be useful, if you know what to look for.
Twitter? Instagram? I've been on them, but not worth my time.

93legendti
10-12-2016, 03:19 PM
It can be what you want it to be.

I like it. I use it for charitable fundraising, finding old campers who moved out of state, finding relatives in Israel and connecting with friends from college who moved away.

I was able to arrange for people to visit another friend who was shot by a sniper in Gaza, by posting a status asking for volunteers to visit a wounded soldier.

This story is amazing:

"20,000 people bid farewell to fallen Israeli-American soldier | ISRAEL21c
The Maccabi Haifa soccer club put out this message on its official Facebook page:

“Carmeli was a lone soldier, and we don’t want his funeral to be empty. Come to his funeral Monday night to pay respects to a man who died so that we could live. This is the least we can do for him and for our nation.”

Police estimated that some 20,000-40,000 people answered the call. Many soccer fans arrived wearing the team’s uniform and waving Israeli flags. The scouts movement sent a delegation of 200 youngsters. And the general public came to pay their respects."

http://www.israel21c.org/40000-people-bid-farewell-to-fallen-israeli-american-soldier/

fiamme red
10-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Whole cycling clubs and even teams do all of their communication via Facebook groups... So for me, that's one of the biggest reasons for FB.My local cycling club used to have a phpBB bulletin board, but they decided that it was too much trouble to moderate, and moved ride discussions a few years ago to their Facebook page. One has to be a Facebook member to view the page, so I've stopped doing rides with them.

commonguy001
10-13-2016, 05:37 AM
My wife did it to keep up with a couple of outdoor groups that only go through FBook but even for that it's become IMO a time suck.

I'm a big nope on any of that stuff, no time or interest.
Actually had a old friend who told me he didn't have time for anyone who wasn't connected with him on FBook. I took the hint and cut him out years ago, great decision IMO.

Joxster
10-13-2016, 05:56 AM
Had an account and deactivated it, I don't miss it at all. If friends and family want to contact me they'll text, call or email me. I got fed up with all the bile that was getting spouted by people with more fingers than teeth.

TimD
10-13-2016, 07:23 AM
No account. As seen on a T-shirt in Italy this spring: "F**k Facebook, I have real friends." :beer:

A few in my crew tried to force-feed the rest of us with it, in order to share ride information. Fortunately we already had a mailing list in place. FB was overwhelmingly rejected for this purpose.

Do I miss things? I'm sure I do, but phone calls, email, and (gasp) direct personal interaction seem to keep me in touch with the folks I want to keep in touch with.

redir
10-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Had an account and deactivated it, I don't miss it at all. If friends and family want to contact me they'll text, call or email me. I got fed up with all the bile that was getting spouted by people with more fingers than teeth.

It's getting pretty obnoxious in this current election cycle.

This chart pretty much sums it up:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14612559_575462122645458_3921861751469894563_o.jpg

tuxbailey
10-13-2016, 08:02 AM
It is just a tool, you can configure its level of intrusiveness if you care.

it is a good way for me to keep in touch with people who are not local.

Shoeman
10-13-2016, 08:05 AM
I own a couple thousand shares of their stock but no account. Crazy I know, should be on it to see what my money buys. Wife is on there on with some friends and relatives etc. This forum and a couple of car forums are enough time suck for me and I'm retired.

bking
10-13-2016, 09:12 AM
You all should be lucky I'm HERE! Forget Facebook; I don't even own a cellphone.

but you blog??

Tony T
10-13-2016, 09:14 AM
The younger folk don't Facebook ("it's for parents and grandparents"), they Snapchat (will be IPOing soon)

mg2ride
10-13-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm on Facebook pretty much daily. My interests are fairly narrow; immediate family, friends, couple of bicycle sites and what's of interest to me in Mexico; Talk Baja and Expats Living in Mexico. The last two have often provided me with instant pertinent info regarding hurricanes, driving conditions and other things I need to know. Plus it's easy to communicate with the guys who do work for me there.

I find it easy to ignore what I have no interest in.

+1

I check my facebook page 2 or 3 times a day but all in all I bet I don't spend over 5-10 minutes a day doing it.

Don't go overboard on friending people. If you don't care to talk to them, don't friend them.

Learn to use what FB offers.

You can keep a friend but not have them on your news feed. That way you don't get all their BS but can check in on them if you wish.

You can block all notifications from any different game etc. My friends could post about Farmville all day and I would never see any of it.

You can delete single items off you news feed. If it is political in nature or someone is just pushing someone else's post, it leaves my news feed.

I do enjoy seeing (in a very brief manner) what people I care about are doing and it helps simply keep track of their lives. I'm not surprised by how old their children are when I see them at a party.

I use my news feed as a dairy for bigger life events. B-days, great bike rides, vacations etc.

The most important thing I learned is that you HAVE to remember that we all use it differently. Don't assume others use it like you do.

fiamme red
10-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Although I'm not on Facebook, I do enjoy some things posted on pages that don't require one to be logged on, e.g.:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bryan-kilgore/larsenneuring-1000k-the-hard-way/10154373018251355?comment_id=10154373856881355&notif_t=note_comment&notif_id=1475615407034163