PDA

View Full Version : Ahem...what weighing scale do you use exactly?

weisan
10-11-2016, 09:54 PM
So I keep hearing pals quoting how much their bikes weigh....16 Ibs flat...15 pounds without even trying .....er.......14.5 p.o.u.n.d.s soaking wet ...really? I mean, really? what did y'all get all those numbers? which planet do you live on, does it have the same gravitational pull as the earth? :D

I did a bit of a test myself earlier...here's what I got.

Serotta Steel
20 Ibs 9 oz

Custom Steel
22 13

Eddy Merckx MX Leader
21 12

This is the "weight wennie" of the lot...

Cyfac Carbon
17 12

jtakeda
10-11-2016, 09:55 PM
You can shave a pound on that cyfac with a lighter cockpit and carbon wheels

weisan
10-11-2016, 09:58 PM
You can shave a pound on that cyfac with a lighter cockpit and carbon wheels

I see where you are goin'...:eek: ;)
http://images.cyclingtips.com/content/uploads/2016/02/mario-cipollini-riding-naked-his-indoor-bike.jpg

bikinchris
10-11-2016, 10:15 PM
My wife's steel Indy Fab weighs 17 12. But it's a lot smaller than your bikes.

My touring bike weighs 28 pounds and I don't care.

Ti Designs
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
My car is about 1950 pounds, engine included. My bike is about 175 pounds, engine included.

Scooper
10-11-2016, 10:38 PM
20.28 pounds.

953 lugged 61cm steel frame, 531 steel fork, heavy wheels and saddle.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/waterford953rs-22weight_med_zps077e843b.jpg

dustyrider
10-11-2016, 10:58 PM
I've always weighed my bikes by lifting them onto my shoulder. Some of them are lighter than others, but they're all just as fun!

unterhausen
10-11-2016, 11:47 PM
I've always weighed my bikes by lifting them onto my shoulder. Some of them are lighter than others, but they're all just as fun!

I have been perfectly happy not picking up my bikes at all until we went to the beach and I carried my bike up 8 flights of stairs every day. Wow is that thing heavy -- even before the stairs start. Might get me off my butt to make a replacement frame. Actually, I had forgotten how heavy it is until this thread.

Macadamia
10-11-2016, 11:58 PM
this is like asking a vampire what their favorite mirror is

oldpotatoe
10-12-2016, 05:38 AM
I get a kick out of people that preen about their wheels that weigh..whatever...w/o QRs, tires, tubes, cogset..WHOgas..but some do..

lessee..'average cyclist weighs somewhere in the 83 THOUSAND gram range, naked. Add clothes....and then state quite proudly, my bike weighs 15.5 pounds...about 1% of the total..yawn...and gonna spend $zillions to reduce the weigh by 400 grams....on this 90,000 gram package...yikes and yeegads.

But, yer $, go ahead..and remember, only 2 things you can really measure about a bike, in the wild, weight and price..:eek:

Tandem Rider
10-12-2016, 05:45 AM
If I'm not going to race it, it doesn't matter too much (within reason).

My race bike is about 17 with race wheels, Mrs. TR's is about 16 1/2 with race wheels, race tandem is about 23 1/2 with race wheels. All of them have alloy bars and stems. I check weights on them because weight has an effect on placing and that is how we measure success in a race.

All the other bikes just weigh what they weigh and it doesn't matter because the goals are different.

Somehow, my training bike sometimes gains a few pounds on a ride, those are usually better rides :D

carpediemracing
10-12-2016, 07:39 AM
This is the "weight wennie" of the lot...

Cyfac Carbon
17 12

My SRM crankset (Cannondale SI), with computer, mount, harness, chainrings, chainring bolts, BB, BB bearings, is 577g. It's very light compared to other cranks but it also has a good Q factor and it's pretty stiff.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QBzXxzYRweU/V8Y_Oskh6CI/AAAAAAAAJUs/yMm0EcIwVRoMc7eUrudgbv9uJVZhqnIPACLcB/s800/20140819_SRM-Weight.jpg

Frame is 1200g bare, no fork etc. Aluminum.

My bike weights with different wheels. I weighed using kg, scale is good to 0.01 kg, and converted (454g/lbs) to pounds. No bottles. I don't remember if I had the SRM computer on the bars but I think I did. Note the massive difference in weight between the tubulars and the Jets (they wheels basically share hubs, spokes, spoke count, cassette type, so the difference is only rims/tires/tubes/etc).

Clinchers:
With Bastognes, 7.72 kg / 17.0 lbs
With Jets, 8.62 kg / 18.98 lbs

Tubulars:
With the Stinger 7/9 setup weighs 7.35 kg or 16.19 lbs.
With the Stinger 6 wheels weighs 7.20 kg or 15.85 lbs.

A few times I've checked out other rider's bikes in the parking lot before races. I remember two guys, teammates. One bike was sooooo light, it was 12 lbs I think, with medium aero wheels. He says, that's nothing, check out the teammate's bike. Even lighter! 10 lbs. But no aero wheels. I was beyond shocked. But then in the race they didn't do as well. I'm good with my bike with tubulars. With the Jets not so good. Apparently there's some cusp for me where it gets just a bit too much.

For a few years we had registration in the same place where Cannondale had many of their bikes photographed (no longer, from what I understand). We got to touch/feel/life the new secret SRAM Red bike, it was in the 10 lbs range. Nothing was tight on it, literally touching the saddle caused it to twist and drop, so no riding. What's funny (to me) is that the catalog pictures show the frame with a different color stripe from the actual bike. Photoshop.

Tickdoc
10-12-2016, 07:47 AM
I don't really know. I had my custom ciocc weighed at build, and it was 18.6 sans pedals. My other bikes are either heavier or lighter than that one.

My cervelo s3 used to weigh around 17, but things have changed on it (and I don't ride it anymore).

My seven feels the lightest, especially since I shod it with enves, but I don't know what any of them weight really.

Heck, I don't even know what I weigh, come to think of it.

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 07:52 AM
i dont own a scale, but i stopped by the lbs with my new aluminum pegoretti, just out of curiosity and threw it on their scale. 16.5# with eurus wheels and a heavish cockpit. i think that's pretty respectable.

if we're talking modern road bicycles built with modern groups and wheels, i think the realistic weight range is between 14 and 21#.

that's roughly a 7 pound swing between walking into a bike shop and buying a tarmac built with sram red or a low end giant aluminum road bike built with tiagra.

price difference is about $800 for the giant to about $8,000 for the tarmac.

so, to conclude - to lose 7 pounds at the LBS, you need to spend about $7,200 !!

:banana:

chiasticon
10-12-2016, 07:59 AM
lightest I ever got to was in the low 16 lbs range. carbon road frame, Force 22 group, Zipp FC 303 tubs, DA 7900 pedals, carbon cages, aluminum bars/stem, entry-lever Fizik Arione. sure, I could go lighter by going to carbon bars/stem, lighter saddle and Red 22. but that's about $2k just to shave off half a pound. meh, not worth it. that's damn light already!

in fact, since I only race cross and just "train" on the road, I'd argue that a heavier road bike is actually better. same basic build on my cross bike, but with a Ti frame, is just over 17lbs. and there, I actually care about a lighter bike, since I've gotta hoist it onto my shoulder and/or run with it over barriers every lap. plus get it up to speed from a near-dead stop and go up nearly-unrideable steep hills with it, etc.

so, how someone gets to 16 or less lbs "without even trying" is beyond me. unless by that they mean "I didn't use any super exotic, weight weenie-level stuff." i.e. they didn't spend any time at fairwheelbikes.com or similar, but did spend A LOT on their bike still.

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 08:02 AM
so, how someone gets to 16 or less lbs "without even trying" is beyond me. unless by that they mean "I didn't use any super exotic, weight weenie-level stuff." i.e. they didn't spend any time at fairwheelbikes.com or similar, but did spend A LOT on their bike still.

let's not forget about bike size. considering weight, a size 50 frame has a massive weight advantage right out of the box over a size 60. it all adds up with a much shorter steerer tube on the fork, likely shorter crank arms, narrower bars, etc.

there's a lot of weight variation between tires of different type and size too, obviously.

chiasticon
10-12-2016, 08:06 AM
let's not forget about bike size. considering weight, a size 50 frame has a massive weight advantage right out of the box over a size 60. it all adds up with a much shorter steerer tube on the fork, likely shorter crank arms, narrower bars, etc.

there's a lot of weight variation between tires of different type and size too, obviously.totally true! yeah my bikes are 54's. I was actually gonna say I'm astounded at the weight of your Peg, as my aluminum Zanc weighs a decent bit more, outfitted basically the same as I described the other bike above, but with 1600-ish gram clinchers. forgot your rode a bit smaller bike.

soulspinner
10-12-2016, 08:20 AM
My Ultimate Feedback scale bit the dust after several hardly used years:crap:

When it worked I got 15.75 for my Cervelo, chorus, handbuilt clinchers, Thomson reg post, Ritchey WCS alloy cockpit, Look blade 2's, Cane Creek integrated hs, Michelin Pro 23mm tires(new). Its just that the motor is a full 15 pounds overweight and has a badly arthritic hip....:p

gospastic
10-12-2016, 08:34 AM
My road bike is right around 14lbs with nothing fancy on it, including clinchers and power meter. I lost about 5lbs this year but don't feel much faster:o

fourflys
10-12-2016, 09:22 AM
I use the Ultimate Feedback scale... I don't stress over bike weight (I do own two steel Black Mtns), but I still like to see what a bike weighs... I will say my new to me CAAD10 seems to "feel" quicker and it is a good 5 lbs lighter than my Black Mtn Road (a good portion of that is wheels I think)... I'm sure there are other factors that account for that feeling as well, but perception is a powerful thing... ;)

cmbicycles
10-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Weisan, sorry pal but your bikes are all heavy because they are shimano 9s. When you make the switch from the dark side to Campy then re-weigh and get back to us. ;) It probably doesn't help the scale that your Serotta (and mine) have a 62cm seat tube, but they both ride so nice and that is what counts...amidst the playful ribbing. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

I had an XL Giant TCR that was 16.5 # with going crazy. At the time I was managing a bike shop, and I had the goal to build it lighter than the shop owner's Merlin... within my available budget. He was a great guy, but his face when we first weighed the bikes and mine was 1/2 # lighter was priceless. I ride a 62cm frame, he rode a 52 so after that he made a few changes and I conceded defeat. He still kicked my butt riding. Now I ride an ??# Legend, I'm guessing its 18-19#, but it is such a nice ride that I don't care.

zap
10-12-2016, 09:40 AM
So I keep hearing pals quoting how much their bikes weigh....16 Ibs flat...15 pounds without even trying .....er.......14.5 p.o.u.n.d.s soaking wet ...really? I mean, really? what did y'all get all those numbers? which planet do you live on, does it have the same gravitational pull as the earth? :D

Per my Ultimate scale, my Crumpton with 58 tt weighs less than 14.3 lbs-I didn't weigh it after I installed the Barfly stem mount so I think the bike crept above 14.2lbs. Does not include water bottles so consider that dry weight. :banana:

Tony
10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Here are some real weights of many bikes. Bags were all emptied. My CIII currently weights in at 16.35 lbs.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/107709068384636814318/album/AF1QipO3uc-esU1SW8JKKt0mbISphXw7Fqp5NsqOWT_m

Kirk007
10-12-2016, 10:24 AM

I mostly agree with this, particularly since I ride big frames - 62+ . Typical build is Campy Chorus and 15-1600 gram wheelsets, alloy cockpit and seatpost. My Kirk is around 19+, Merckx MXl a little over 20 (with dura ace 9000) and Fulcrum zeros, my Peg Marcelo is around 17-19 depending on wheels. But I recently picked up a used Colnago C50 from the classifieds, built it with new Campy Chorus 11 (relatively inexpensive from across the pond) and with Fulcrum zero tubulars (quite inexpensive on closeout from Australia), and including pedals, etc. etc., its about 16.5 lbs. Not really trying to be a weight weenie (C50's aren't built to be a "light" carbon frame). Investment is around 3K. Where I "tried hard" was to minimize the cost by shopping around. If I was interested in spending the $$ for some lighter carbon wheels then I could get below 16 without much trouble. 15 or less, for a big bike, that would cost some $$$.

Elefantino
10-12-2016, 10:57 AM
We use the Park scale in the shop. It's how I measured my bikes.

Serotta Meivici: 16.05
Look 585: 15.96
Serotta CSI: 18.89
Bianchi Giro: 24.09

All are big frames.

I like the Park scale because it clamps into a workstand.

adrien
10-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Lugged fixed gear: 17.2
Firefly all Ti: 18.1-19, depending on wheels
Lugged road: 20-22, depending on wheels

All range form 58-60 true top tube length. Cockpits and seat posts all metal of some sort.

I'm not little.

Perfectly happy with the above. If I want to get lighter I try to cut down a little on beer.

fourflys
10-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Here are some real weights of many bikes. Bags were all emptied. My CIII currently weights in at 16.35 lbs.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/107709068384636814318/album/AF1QipO3uc-esU1SW8JKKt0mbISphXw7Fqp5NsqOWT_m

if the bags are all emptied, then are they really being weighed as their ridden? To me, that's kind of like weighing a bike without pedals or cages... what's the point? The only thing my bikes are missing when weighed are water bottles and myself...

zap
10-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Zap's bikes frown upon bags. That's what the middle back pocket is for.

thwart
10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Zap's bikes frown upon bags. That's what the middle back pocket is for.
Reminds me of the story in Tim Krabbé's The Rider about Jacques Anquetil feeling the need to put his bidon in his back pocket when he was climbing... to lighten his bike...

fuzzalow
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Weight, on the bike, never enters my concern or thought process for what I want out of a bike.

I dunno how you guys get the weight down but out of curiosity I weighed my bikes:

Pinarello F8 w/Campagnolo EPS & clinchers: 17 pounds 6 ozs
Eriksen w/Campagnolo Record, SRM crank & tubulars: 18 pounds 14 ozs
Brompton w/Dinotte x2 lights/battery packs: 30 pounds 2 ozs

These numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. Don't care but how some of those bikes talked about here get so svelte I don't know.

charliedid
10-12-2016, 06:55 PM
I just pick it up and guess.

Tony
10-12-2016, 08:03 PM
if the bags are all emptied, then are they really being weighed as their ridden? To me, that's kind of like weighing a bike without pedals or cages... what's the point? The only thing my bikes are missing when weighed are water bottles and myself...

To compare.

jlwdm
10-12-2016, 09:02 PM
My 62cm CSI with a computer mount and two light mounts was 18.72 lbs when I weighed it in early 2013.

My 62 cm Serotta Nove was 16.88 lbs at the same time, but it has lighter wheels now.

My Spectrum has never been weighed.

Jeff

ripvanrando
10-13-2016, 06:48 AM
I use a similar scale

My lightest bike is a Cervelo S3 58 cm with clinchers and clip on aluminum aero bars. It goes 16.9 lbs with pedals and cages. I could hit 15.5 jettisoning the aero bars and the alum cockpit for carbon and using a lighter saddle. To sub 15 with tubies but that ain't happening

Fully loaded rando bike with bike packing gear for cross country trip was around 35 lbs. PBP rig went nearly 30 lbs as I was riding upsupported. I;m going to build a light bike for PBP 2019

If I am weighing to keep under the 50 lb airport baggage limits, I usually use my digital bathroom scale and so far, so good.

nicrump
10-13-2016, 08:42 AM
weisan pal, its obvious the problem is your "not legal for trade" scale. which was labeled so for having been snagged in an ill conceived up-lb'ing that texas prime beef scam at grey foods market. get yourself a legal scale. the downside of which is you will discover lb for lb, you overpaid for your quiver.

ps, in my own defense, this post was in lieu of commenting in the health insurance thread.

carry on.