PDA

View Full Version : which wheels-on roof tray?

jh_on_the_cape
10-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I want to get another wheels-on roof tray. I have square Thule bars. 15QR fork so I really want wheels on.
I had a thule side-arm but I found it very noisy when not holding a bike. It sits up very high so I sold it. I might try it again...
Then I bought an older-generation 1upUSA rack which i have been using. The arms are a bit short for my 27.5 bike. I might get another one that is the updated version. My bike wobbles alot in there. I generally only go on short trips. This weekend we went on a 4.5 hour drive and my wife's bike was in one and the arms started opening on the highway. I stopped and closed the arms against each other with a strap but it freaked me out. My brother has the newer model with a ratcheting locking mechanism. Mine is more of a friction lock thing.
I see the rockymounts 'brass knuckles' and I use Rockymounts fork mount trays and like them. Anyone use these?
Any other contenders?
I have a Volvo wagon and don't have a hitch and don't see putting one on my car with 190k miles on it.
I generally lock my bike with a cable to the rack, but just for short periods. Additional security would be nice, but wheels on rooftop and security don't really go together.
They all seem to cost $200...

Thanks!

DRZRM
10-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm using one Rockymount Tomahawk

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/rockymounts-tomahawk-roof-bike-rack

and one Rockymount Brass Knuckle

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/rockymounts-tomahawk-roof-bike-rack

They both work great, though there is wind noise when they are empty. The Tomahawk is cheaper, but it comes with Fat Bike adapters, which are additional charge on the Brass Knuckles. They work the same, and neither has given me a single complaint.

I drove across country (Albuquerque to State College) with mountain bikes in them and there was no loosening or any other issue, they are rock solid. The site I linked too always seems to have the best deals on Rockymount. Shipping was fast and free, and at times there are additional 10% off coupons to be found.