PDA

View Full Version : Rapha, cycling club for the one percent

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 10:17 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/10/11/welcome-to-the-biker-gang-of-the-1-percent/

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/bikers_group1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286

Gsinill
10-11-2016, 10:32 AM
"Judging by their chiseled physiques, pricey gear and sturdy bikes, the crew is pretty seasoned..."

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
"Judging by their chiseled physiques, pricey gear and sturdy bikes, the crew is pretty seasoned..."And the first word that comes to mind when I see those bikes is not "sturdy." :p

ltwtsculler91
10-11-2016, 10:39 AM
How this is any different from our weekly Monday,Wednesday, and Saturday rides, I'm not really sure..

Well other than the words dripping of condescension towards those who don't drop loads of cash on "stylish" kit and gear.

And this is coming from someone who's typically found wearing Assos. It's not about the kit and "bonding over appreciation for fine goods" its about riding with your good friends and enjoying the time spent together in this great sport.

Tickdoc
10-11-2016, 10:40 AM
1% of what? Doorway blockers?

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm tempted to buy a garish Primal Wear jersey and show up for one of their rides wearing it, on my fendered commuter.

azrider
10-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Neck gaiters with shorts is the new arm warmers with sleeveless jerseys.

FFS........

AngryScientist
10-11-2016, 10:46 AM
“The club is a center of a lot of people’s lives,” agrees Lacey, referring to the Rapha Club (self-described as “the first cycling club of its kind”),

i'm an unapologetic rapha supporter, and i've got no problem with another group ride run out of manhatten, but if the rapha club is the center of your life - well, that would be just sad.

tv_vt
10-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Not much diversity in that group, is there?

But I guess that's cycling in general. The group I rode with in Italy last summer was 10 white guys - 8 from England, 1 from Ireland, and me from US. Rapha was well represented in the daily kit selection, that's for sure.

54ny77
10-11-2016, 10:48 AM
would be awesome if someone had an out of state pal who's insanely fast show up and do the ride dressed & riding that setup. in sneakers and platform pedals too. maybe thrown on some closer-fitting sweat/jogging pants in case the legs are shaved (i.e., no shorts), lest it be a giveway that a proper sandbagging is going on.

I'm tempted to buy a garish Primal Wear jersey and show up for one of their rides wearing it, on my fendered commuter.

dbnm
10-11-2016, 10:49 AM
If riding and hanging out with like-minded people makes you happy, then why should any of us have a problem with that?

Is anyone being harmed?

Who really cares?

ltwtsculler91
10-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Not much diversity in that group, is there?

Doesn't sound like it..

Which is one thing I love about cycling with a group from "the corner bike shop." We have people of all ages from all different career paths, from doctors and lawyers to contractors and mechanics. You're bound to chat with someone who knows and does something totally different from you, and learn a lot from it.

ltwtsculler91
10-11-2016, 10:51 AM
would be awesome if someone had an out of state pal who's insanely fast show up and do the ride dressed & riding that setup. in sneakers and platform pedals too. maybe thrown on some closer-fitting sweat/jogging pants in case the legs are shaved (i.e., no shorts), lest it be a giveway that a proper sandbagging is going on.

If anyone's around NYC and can get the time off, I'm down to sandbag their little ride. Maybe not that hardcore though, but unshaved legs and a loud kit on my Trek would be quite fun

fuzzalow
10-11-2016, 10:54 AM
From the article:

"We call it the Freelancers’ Ride so that people wouldn’t complain about it starting at 9 a.m., in the middle of the week, when most people are at work,” says Derrick Lewis, Rapha’s communications manager for North America. “These guys work at high enough levels that they can decide to take off the day or the morning.”

HaHa! High enough levels! I have often said this about the hipsters that go to the same place I get my haircut : "Oh, to be so young and yet so rich". I gotta laugh, I'll just have my people call your people!

All I do is work! Oh how I wish, well not really, for the carefree life with a jaded disdain for the mundane. I sweat the details every day of my working life and I gotta watch these guys coast through life with nary a care in the world - whatta fantasy! Truth be told - I don't want that life. And, even in this town, I don't think what these high-levelers want you to think, is real.

velofinds
10-11-2016, 10:54 AM
I like the gear and I've done this ride a couple of times (both pre and post-move from the earlier Meatpacking location), but this whole scene has really become a caricature and too precious for my own taste.

bobdenver1961
10-11-2016, 10:59 AM
The Rapha kits are obviously nice but why black and the subdued colors?

I wear bright colors so I don't get hit by a car.

Bob

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 12:12 PM
One of Rapha's newest offerings: a $65 board game that is only available to those who purchase a Rapha "Peace Race" jersey. :rolleyes:

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/peace-race-board-game/product/PEG01XXXXXXXX

http://pages.rapha.cc/feature/a-game-of-two-races

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 12:13 PM
would be awesome if someone had an out of state pal who's insanely fast show up and do the ride dressed & riding that setup. in sneakers and platform pedals too. maybe thrown on some closer-fitting sweat/jogging pants in case the legs are shaved (i.e., no shorts), lest it be a giveway that a proper sandbagging is going on.http://pages.rapha.cc/clubs/new-york/rides#wednesday-club-ride-updated-time-830am

Requirements: For your enjoyment road bikes, helmets and foot retention are required. Please remember to bring flat changing tools and an extra tube. Riding snacks and water are also strongly suggested. TT bars are not allowed on any of our rides.

I'm surprised that they require helmets, but I suppose it's a matter of liability.

19wisconsin64
10-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Rapha supports cycling in many ways. They have the largest club of cyclists, they promote safe cycling, they support teams, they pay homage to classic cycling, they encourage cycling to work and cycling vacations. I could go on.

I wish for even MORE cycling-based companies to grow to the point where they can do so many positive things for our community.

All of that, and behind the photo posted in New York City, on 159 Prince Street, in the Rapha shop, they will make you a kick-a@@ espresso that you can sip while watching live and classic bike races on the big screen. Cheers

huck*this
10-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Ahhhh now I see the reasoning behind a 15mph pace. And I thought it was the lights in the city that warranted that time. :bike:

chiasticon
10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
this reminds me, in some ways, of one of the clubs I ride with... it's centered around a community that's very well-off. lots of doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, etc. ridiculously nice bikes in that group. and super nice people as well. but where it differs from the RCC stuff in this article is that, for the most part, I'm usually the only guy wearing Rapha kit. they'll buy the cheapest, bargain-basement, last-year Primal stuff (or whatever) that's just garish. one guy even had a bunch of counterfeit, Chinese Rapha he was wearing for a while.

I never understood that. you'll spend the better part of $10k on your bike but you'll wear the cheapest kit you can find. why? did you just blow the budget on the bike, perhaps?

pasadena
10-11-2016, 12:50 PM
so much snark

First of all, I think it's great that cycling has become so popular and even seen as a trendy way to exercise and socialize.

The more people do it, the better our roadways will become in regards to cycling infrastructure.

Putting cycling in a positive, non-racing yet sporting light is a huge step into mainstream sporting goods. I've read that cycling is the new golf. I think that's great.
The more golf courses we kill, and the more bike lanes we build, the better.

Second,
Rapha has tapped into something that is internationally popular. Rapha clubhouses are international- not just a white guy thing.
I can blame the article for focusing on a particulary white demographic, instead of taking a more realistic view but that's no surprise in US media.

I would hazard to guess Rapha makes far more money in Asia than they do here in the US. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure feels that way.

This is also good for cycling because it's one model of long term business success that is actually working.

Third,
I'm not into Rapha stuff, but hating on fellow cyclists because they enjoy the kit, lifestyle and equipment? Everyone I know is into the same ****. We all talk about that stuff.

Throwing shade on fellow cyclists for enjoying cycling is b.s.

joosttx
10-11-2016, 12:55 PM

FFS........

works for me, anna wintour.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5593/30228775336_1147d5881d_c.jpg

torquer
10-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Rapha stuff is regularly on sale, eventually at 50% off. Not quite last year's Primal closeout prices, but always worth a look.
Maybe that's where the bright colors go, too. I spent yesterday morning riding in a coral Rapha l.s. jersey ($115, IIRC) brighter than any autumn leaves along the route.

dbnm
10-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Just saying....

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Just saying....So where do people who wear Assos gather to sip espresso and check out each others' kit? :)

azrider
10-11-2016, 01:06 PM
works for me, anna wintour.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5593/30228775336_1147d5881d_c.jpg

Lots of snow on the ground in that first pic too :rolleyes:

Spdntrxi
10-11-2016, 01:07 PM
I love the pro team bib.. and the low collar of the jersey. So I buy Rapha when the stuff goes on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadence90
10-11-2016, 01:10 PM
So where do people who wear Assos gather to sip espresso and check out each others' kit? :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/e5/a3/12e5a324d21def5c68c0a7780016e90d.jpg

:D

ptourkin
10-11-2016, 01:16 PM
So where do people who wear Assos gather to sip espresso and check out each others' kit? :)

http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/

actually, Q36.5 now...

cinema
10-11-2016, 01:23 PM
http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/

actually, Q36.5 now...

they have a $200 version now of their bibs which I'd really like to try but they've been sold out of my size for a while. I don't think it's much too much spend on a pair of shorts, I hand wash them after every ride and they last years. and with rapha classics you can send them back if there's a quality issue over any period of time

I dig the burgeoning popularity of sport cycling and dig rapha but i'm not rich so i also hate it.

zap
10-11-2016, 01:25 PM

We don't. We keep riding and ride hard.

johnmdesigner
10-11-2016, 01:30 PM
I see 12 tickets for "failure to obey red signal".

sandyrs
10-11-2016, 01:40 PM
We don't. We keep riding and ride hard.

You're obviously not from Boston!

ptourkin
10-11-2016, 01:47 PM
they have a $200 version now of their bibs which I'd really like to try but they've been sold out of my size for a while. I don't think it's much too much spend on a pair of shorts, I hand wash them after every ride and they last years. and with rapha classics you can send them back if there's a quality issue over any period of time

I dig the burgeoning popularity of sport cycling and dig rapha but i'm not rich so i also hate it.

I have those. At first I didn't like them but take heed of their warning that it takes about 10 rides to break them in. I packed wrong for the 508 and ended up wearing them instead of my intended Rapha for the first 255 miles and they were great. I like them and am curious about the more high tech versions.

I love Above Category, btw.

tv_vt
10-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Obviously a chilly ride; note all the arm warmers and vests and jackets - yet only one of them has anything covering their knees and legs.

Guessing I'd be in leg warmers for that ride.

And maybe booties.

John H.
10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't see the problem with this.
Do you guys just not like the article?

How is this any different than playing golf with a pair of plaid slacks? You are just wearing what the "cool kids" wear.

I know many on this forum DO wear Rapha gear-

I rather like the RCC kit. I actually thought about joining RCC primarily for the kit.

Tickdoc
10-11-2016, 03:22 PM

How is this any different than playing golf with a pair of plaid slacks? You are just wearing what the "cool kids" wear.

I rather like the RCC kit. I actually thought about joining RCC primarily for the kit.

I agree. I don't have a ton of Rapha, but everything I have bought is well made. I'm just not a kit snob, though. I also like Pearl Izumi (still the best value imo), sugoi, castelli, heck I'll even wear hincapie.

54ny77
10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
It would be a nonevent if the article and headline didn't have cliche reference to the 1%, and more specifically NYC-centric professions. It's intellectually convenient for the author and a low information readership to proselytize.

FlashUNC
10-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Every subculture eats its own eventually.

joosttx
10-11-2016, 03:28 PM

I decided I like the Q36.5 Dottore over the L1's. They are more comfortable. Both bibs are better than Assos IMO, but if someone likes Assos better I can dig it. I cannot understand if someone like Rapha better. I think their bibs suck.

joosttx
10-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Not everyone has their own custom designed kit like you :)

fuzzalow
10-11-2016, 03:41 PM
It would be a nonevent if the article and headline didn't have cliche reference to the 1%, and more specifically NYC-centric professions. It's intellectually convenient for the author and a low information readership to proselytize.

The piece was from the NYPost. Low information readership was being kind.

velofinds
10-11-2016, 03:47 PM
The piece was from the NYPost. Low information readership was being kind.

Speaking of which, what Post reader would be interested in this type of article? At the risk of painting with a broad brush, the article struck me as an example of a writer not knowing his or her audience.

mavic1010
10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
The main issue i have with this group is they don't know how to take a group pic. Bike should be positioned with drive side facing camera....

rapha posers......:banana:

estilley
10-11-2016, 03:52 PM
NYPost is always known for cutting edge journalism!

I sure don't mind the ride, people are riding, that's really all that matters.

raygunner
10-11-2016, 03:55 PM
All of that, and behind the photo posted in New York City, on 159 Prince Street, in the Rapha shop, they will make you a kick-a@@ espresso that you can sip while watching live and classic bike races on the big screen. Cheers

Yeah, but Seinfeld reruns are so much better than bike races!

raygunner
10-11-2016, 04:01 PM
We just got a Rapha store in Chicago.

Despite still owning a few items I haven't been, probably won't bother.

But since the store's opening I've already noticed on my commute (via the city's lakefront path) the Rapha kit-sobbery is already exceeding peak levels.

One guy must throw on $1k worth of Rapha just to ride downtown to work. Ah, the absurdity of it all!

raygunner
10-11-2016, 04:03 PM
And why didn't they break out their good bikes for the photo shoot?!

Just a few Sevens? Where's the customs?!

fiamme red
10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Speaking of which, what Post reader would be interested in this type of article? At the risk of painting with a broad brush, the article struck me as an example of a writer not knowing his or her audience.Many of the real estate ads in the Post are for properties listed for $5 to $20 million.

adub
10-11-2016, 04:17 PM
How dare a like-minded group of people get together and share a healthy pass-time they are passionate about?!

And the gall of a company to see this niche within cycling and build a brand because of it!

LOL!!

54ny77
10-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Can you imagine if a bike manufacturer created a website where all folks could participate, even if they didn't own one? That is MADNESS I tell ya, MADNESS!

;)

How dare a like-minded group of people get together and share a healthy pass-time they are passionate about?!

And the gall of a company to see this niche within cycling and build a brand because of it!

LOL!!

ptourkin
10-11-2016, 04:55 PM
I decided I like the Q36.5 Dottore over the L1's. They are more comfortable. Both bibs are better than Assos IMO, but if someone likes Assos better I can dig it. I cannot understand if someone like Rapha better. I think their bibs suck.

Same pad but compression is different? I think you explained it before.

joosttx
10-11-2016, 05:14 PM

The Dr's, I think, have the same pad as the L1's, at least I cannot tell the difference. The fabric is different. It is thinner. My original thought was the Dr's were too euro for me. If that makes any sense. But now I think they are a wee bit more comfortable than the L1's. Also, they are cut longer than the L1's

zap
10-11-2016, 05:17 PM
You're obviously not from Boston!

No I'm not.

shovelhd
10-11-2016, 05:17 PM
15mph. Smokin'.

FlashUNC
10-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Yup, same pad. Dottores are way more compressive. Which is saying something given how compressive the standard L1s are.

sfhbike
10-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I am a big supporter of Patagonia (which in some ways occupies a similar niche in the outdoor retail world as Rapha does in cycling), especially because of their leadership in environmental sustainability and fair labor practices in addition to making some of the best outdoor clothing available.

I wish I could like Rapha for similar reasons. But every time I look at a Made in China label next to their price tag and know that they have no express commitment to those things, it leaves something to be desired for me. I know they make very high quality kit and have nice marketing, but at that pricepoint, they could afford to expend a few pennies on making sure their supply chain is headed in the right direction and that they are not using sweat labor. I'm sure they use high quality factories so that might alleviate some of those issues. But I think their marketing would be helped by more consciously focusing on that aspect of their production and sourcing. It is not the kind of thing that would keep me from buying from them (during a sale), but it doesn't necessarily build brand loyalty in the same way for me (though obviously they are wildly successful in building loyalty for different reasons).

Excuse the ethical rant. If anyone has some info on their environmental or labor commitments, I'd love to learn more.

ripvanrando
10-11-2016, 06:22 PM

I had a similar thought except it would be nice to pull up behind on the commuter rig, say hello, and ride them off your fendered wheel.

FlashUNC
10-11-2016, 07:08 PM
I had a similar thought except it would be nice to pull up behind on the commuter rig, say hello, and ride them off your fendered wheel.

Just bring the guillotine out in a Burley trailer.

Cyclist on cyclist crime man.

adub
10-11-2016, 08:21 PM
I am a big supporter of Patagonia (which in some ways occupies a similar niche in the outdoor retail world as Rapha does in cycling), especially because of their leadership in environmental sustainability and fair labor practices in addition to making some of the best outdoor clothing available.

I wish I could like Rapha for similar reasons. But every time I look at a Made in China label next to their price tag and know that they have no express commitment to those things, it leaves something to be desired for me. I know they make very high quality kit and have nice marketing, but at that pricepoint, they could afford to expend a few pennies on making sure their supply chain is headed in the right direction and that they are not using sweat labor. I'm sure they use high quality factories so that might alleviate some of those issues. But I think their marketing would be helped by more consciously focusing on that aspect of their production and sourcing. It is not the kind of thing that would keep me from buying from them (during a sale), but it doesn't necessarily build brand loyalty in the same way for me (though obviously they are wildly successful in building loyalty for different reasons).

Excuse the ethical rant. If anyone has some info on their environmental or labor commitments, I'd love to learn more.

Explain how Patagonia's supply chain is any better than anyone else who gets their clothing and products sewn in South Asia, like Rapha?

The first 3 labels I checked of my Patagonia items were Bangladesh, China, and Vietnam.

If Yvon Chouinard was to put his money where his mouth was he'd discontinue 90% of his product lines, close down 90% of the Patagonia stores, and make fewer albeit quality items in Canada or the USA. I've had buttons pop off of new Patagonia shirts the same as new Eddie Bauer shirts.

sonicCows
10-11-2016, 08:32 PM

slowpoke
10-11-2016, 08:56 PM
adub does raise a valid point, though. I've noticed Patagonia become more popular in the past 3-4 years. It's even being sold at Urban Outfitters, which generally produces ****ty quality fast fashion themselves.

Patagonia's whole advertising shpiel a few years ago was to tell people not to buy stuff (http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-patagonia-136745). If that's really the case, they could manufacture in Canada (as does Arcteryx) and price their stuff a hundred dollars more--and yuppies and eco-conscious folk would still buy them. We didn't call it Patagucci for nothing back in the day.

In their defense, when there is a complaint, they generally try not to use a certain material or source their animal products from more humane farms. However, I've noticed that as the recycled content goes up, sadly the quality has gone down.

goonster
10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Explain how Patagonia's supply chain is any better than anyone else who gets their clothing and products sewn in South Asia, like Rapha?

They name their suppliers for each product. I think that's pretty cool.

estilley
10-11-2016, 09:57 PM
A lot of the Cadence stuff is MUSA. As well as all that cool Team Dream line. Cheaper than Rapha and more my style.

bcroslin
10-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I own a lot of Rapha gear and honestly I saw that image and my first thought was I if I look like that I should go ahead and ride in front of a bus. We really do look ridiculous don't we?

54ny77
10-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Ditto. Patagonia stuff was built to last....maybe 25 or so years ago.

My New Balance sneakers are at least made in the states. They have worn incredibly well.

The first 3 labels I checked of my Patagonia items were Bangladesh, China, and Vietnam.

If Yvon Chouinard was to put his money where his mouth was he'd discontinue 90% of his product lines, close down 90% of the Patagonia stores, and make fewer albeit quality items in Canada or the USA. I've had buttons pop off of new Patagonia shirts the same as new Eddie Bauer shirts.

pdmtong
10-11-2016, 10:37 PM
My Arc'teryx is all made in Canada...I like that.

Offsetting penalty - I also wear [gulp] Rapha

kitsnob
10-11-2016, 10:39 PM
I agree. I don't have a ton of Rapha, but everything I have bought is well made. I'm just not a kit snob, though. I also like Pearl Izumi (still the best value imo), sugoi, castelli, heck I'll even wear hincapie.

Hey .. I'm the KITSNOB and I'm NOT a Rapha fan boy..Never have been. Tried it and always had some sort of quality issue .. Don't know why but maybe it was designed in London, made in China with Italian fabrics that "got it wrong"?
Personally, I'm a Q36.5, Assos and a Brandt Sorrenson kit wearer.
And before I get flamed for wearing "DOPERSON" clothing .. I have one thing to say: try it before you bag on it. Custom for the price of mass produced ....

Kinda like dropping 5k +for a Colnago C60/Pin Dog F8 when you can have custom carbon (or steel or Ti) for the same OR LESS

kitsnob
10-11-2016, 10:42 PM
A lot of the Cadence stuff is MUSA. As well as all that cool Team Dream line. Cheaper than Rapha and more my style.

dream team line is "rebadged" Endo customs ... Endo is locally made in Downtown LA and the dream team is loaded with style (and it too is local. The CUB HOUSE in South Pasadena)

cinema
10-11-2016, 10:47 PM
...and a Brandt Sorrenson kit wearer.
And before I get flamed for wearing "DOPERSON" clothing .. I have one thing to say: try it before you bag on it.

No no.

estilley
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
dream team line is "rebadged" Endo customs ... Endo is locally made in Downtown LA and the dream team is loaded with style (and it too is local. The CUB HOUSE in South Pasadena)

Yep!

Some new items posted today, those long sleeve jerseys!

choke
10-11-2016, 11:04 PM
they could manufacture in Canada (as does Arcteryx).....My Arc'teryx is all made in Canada...I like that.When Arc'teryx first started nearly (maybe all) everything was made in Canada. In the last several years they have shifted most of their production to Asia.

And to keep things on track, the absolute worst piece of cycling clothing I've ever owned was an Assos bibshort.

sonicCows
10-12-2016, 12:49 AM

benito
10-12-2016, 02:11 AM
ha! i did this ride a couple times when i had wednesdays off, oh jeez 3 years ago?

brakeless track bike + neon barfy jersey 4 lyfe.

ripvanrando
10-12-2016, 02:19 AM
I own a lot of Rapha gear and honestly I saw that image and my first thought was I if I look like that I should go ahead and ride in front of a bus. We really do look ridiculous don't we?

Smug and contemptuous smirks plastered over bland and boring looking clothing is a bit silly looking. This group looks about as much fun as a trip to the Dentist followed by that yearly physical.

joosttx
10-12-2016, 03:55 AM

My L1's lasted for about 2.5 years. I wore them about 2-3 times a week with regular wash and dry in between and rode mostly on dirt. There is no need to baby them when washing them from my experience.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2016, 06:15 AM

LOL!!

No kidding..no cycling kit maker does it better than Rapha..both their stuff and their marketing..VERY much like Apple..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNmQQuHfRHg

Rapha store opening in January 4 doors down from Vecchio's. I know the general manager..good location..

witcombusa
10-12-2016, 06:24 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/10/11/welcome-to-the-biker-gang-of-the-1-percent/

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/bikers_group1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286

Manhattan cycling snobs at their very best? :confused:

dbnm
10-12-2016, 06:28 AM
This thread feels like high school all over again.

Judging based on what people wear, not what they do or how they act.

I wear lots of Rapha. I ride a top of the line Moots RSL.

Guess I'm a jerk.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Manhattan cycling snobs at their very best? :confused:

But, but, but..only 2 beards, no tattoos and they all have helmets on...I thought..Rapha guys...:eek:

doomridesout
10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm probably looking for a different brand at this point-- I've got a lot of their stuff but me and my wife had a truly unpleasant shopping experience at the SF Cycle Club with the no-fun club that works there.

Elefantino
10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I see no Serottas, so there must be no dentists in the group.

But seriously ...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3829042/lighten-up-francis-o.gif

jlwdm
10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
No kidding..no cycling kit maker does it better than Rapha..both their stuff and their marketing..VERY much like Apple..

I have some Rapha pieces; one pair of bibs, two long sleeve jerseys three short sleeve jerseys, a neck gator and a light jacket; and like them all a lot. I just have not seen anything new that I like the last few years. I think it is hard to come up with new designs and new colors every season. I liked the classic pieces.

It is hard not to appreciate a cycling company that has been so successful during tough times for the cycling industry. I just wish they had not removed their product from local shops - even though Rapha was never carried in DFW.

I don't see this group as bike snobs at all. They are kind of a work snob group. If they were all 1%ers they would not need to ask a rider if he needs financial help when out of a job for a little while. They hardly fit the mold of the Rapha marketing.

Jeff

Red Tornado
10-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Yes. Totally agree.

The main issue i have with this group is they don't know how to take a group pic. Bike should be positioned with drive side facing camera....

Good catch!

azrider
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
uh oh.........

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/creepypasta/images/d/d3/4738128652_Butthurt_Detected_75000186641_xlarge_xl arge.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20121010191010

Dead Man
10-12-2016, 02:55 PM
I'd get some rapha kit if it didn't say "Rapha" on it

ptourkin
10-12-2016, 04:00 PM
I see no Serottas, so there must be no dentists in the group.

But seriously ...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3829042/lighten-up-francis-o.gif

No retired dentists anyway.

El Chaba
10-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Smug and contemptuous smirks plastered over bland and boring looking clothing is a bit silly looking. This group looks about as much fun as a trip to the Dentist followed by that yearly physical.

LOL...I was going to say proctologist......Poseurs....

azrider
10-12-2016, 04:40 PM
that yearly physical.

http://www.1055theriver.com/sites/g/files/exi686/f/styles/large_730/public/article-images-featured/249041-21346.jpg?itok=kBdOqoEu

559Rando
10-12-2016, 04:48 PM
https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/tatiana_lacey1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Rider Joe Lacey says wearing Rapha’s sleek clothing is a big part of the ride’s appeal.

:banana:

Climb01742
10-12-2016, 05:04 PM

I'd never seen/heard of Dream Team stuff. Looks nice. Happy to have learned of it. This thread was worthwhile.:rolleyes:

charliedid
10-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Given that Rapha want's to open 100 of these in the US alone, I hardly think it's geared to the 1%

Cycling Clothing

Dead Man
10-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Rapha fan club... What's with the helmets?

sailorboy
10-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Well, a team of four of us kind of did that this year at the Prestige Appalachia event in Mathias, WV.

We all showed up in matching Assos kit from Signature Cycles Greenwich, and finished an hour ahead of the next closest group of four riders. Only 5 teams out of 25 finished the insanely hard ride intact. Sadly, I don't think we'll see many images of us in the online ride report or 'epic' short film if they end up publishing it. ;)

I don't hate on Rapha, but after owning some pieces I will say the stuff is over-rated and leave it at that. They put on some cool events, and I'd do another one if I'm fortunate enuf to be invited back. Rapha club ride though? No thanks.

PS: Yes, those Assos jackets are absurd, but their bibs are worth every penny and then some.

beeatnik
10-12-2016, 07:23 PM
^The East Coast is so weird.

bobdenver1961
10-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Rapha is the Lulemon for men. Way too trendy and overpriced.

slowpoke
10-12-2016, 08:29 PM

Lululemon is the Lululemon for men, actually. :p

In Rapha's defense, ~5 years ago, if you wanted a clean (some would argue bland) jersey without any crazy designs, they were one of the few shops that offered it. In addition, they have nice merino-blend offerings that resist stink. Your other options back then were really itchy wools that would sag when wet.

Yes, nowadays merino wool is plentiful, and you have great designs by Team Dream, Ten Speed Hero Luke, and others, but Rapha did pave the way.

Also, there's attention to detail in their stuff. For example, the stitching for the back pockets are reinforced on the inside so when you put a bottle in there, it shouldn't tear out over time. And the right pocket usually has an additional zipper pocket that's lined so your valuables won't fall out, and they won't be soaked in sweat.

Lastly, no one pays full retail. ;)

FlashUNC
10-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Well, a team of four of us kind of did that this year at the Prestige Appalachia event in Mathias, WV.

We all showed up in matching Assos kit from Signature Cycles Greenwich, and finished an hour ahead of the next closest group of four riders. Only 5 teams out of 25 finished the insanely hard ride intact. Sadly, I don't think we'll see many images of us in the online ride report or 'epic' short film if they end up publishing it. ;)

I don't hate on Rapha, but after owning some pieces I will say the stuff is over-rated and leave it at that. They put on some cool events, and I'd do another one if I'm fortunate enuf to be invited back. Rapha club ride though? No thanks.

PS: Yes, those Assos jackets are absurd, but their bibs are worth every penny and then some.

So acted like knobs on a Gentleman's ride? Got it.

galgal
10-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Wouldn't be looking looking to the NY Post for any real insight or reporting on anything, cycling included, but this is an interesting thread.
I like Rapha stuff, Assos too for that matter. Have a few bits of each and wouldn't mind having more if budget allowed. Can't begrudge anyone who has boatloads of both. Riding around NYC, have had many pleasant conversations and rides with total strangers decked out in Rapha. That being said, that particular photo of the Rapha NYC cycling club hardly makes me want to bike down there and join them. Most of them look like they are about to get a root canal rather than enjoy a bike ride! It's pretty sad, if you think of it.
Btw, are no women allowed in the NYC Rapha ride club, or is just this pic?:beer:

slowpoke
10-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Btw, are no women allowed in the NYC Rapha ride club, or is just this pic?:beer:

I know the club in San Francisco offers women's rides. There's other reasons why women probably aren't in the Wednesday ride photo, but I'd rather not be the one to derail the thread and talk about gender dynamics and inequalities.

galgal
10-12-2016, 09:12 PM
I know the club in San Francisco offers women's rides. There's other reasons why women probably aren't in the Wednesday ride photo, but I'd rather not be the one to derail the thread and talk about gender dynamics and inequalities.

Thanks. Don't want to derail thread either. I mean, dealing with or critiquing the 1% deal is hardly addressed by knocking Rapha.

adub
10-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Hey have you been to a Lululemon lately? Big selection of men's wear, some of it's ok.

estilley
10-12-2016, 09:35 PM

There was a time in my life when I had an Equinox gym membership in NYC. That place was pretty much a lululemon exhibit. Couldn't knock the free Kiehls products though...

fuzzalow
10-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I mean, dealing with or critiquing the 1% deal is hardly addressed by knocking Rapha.

Bravo and agree. But for many why spoil a good opportunity for populist rage?

Manhattan is not that hospitable for good, much less decent, road riding. This is not the SF Bay area where the sport of choice in the Silicon Valley is cycling - they have great roads to make it worth their while. It is for this reason, IMO, that road cycling will never attain the emblematic imagery as a 1% practitioner sport in NYC.

Look at that NYPost photo - c'mon nary a Colnago in the bunch which disqualifies any of them as 1%'ers. Because even blokes that don't know bikes will know Colnago - and what they cost - which is reason enough to have one. The logic of the 1% can always failsafe back to money as a harbinger of taste and sophistication.

adub
10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Lululemon yoga pants are the only reason men pay $5/lb for organic apples at Whole Foods..

There was a time in my life when I had an Equinox gym membership in NYC. That place was pretty much a lululemon exhibit. Couldn't knock the free Kiehls products though...

Kirk007
10-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Funny to read so many comments by cycling enthusiasts bagging on a group of cyclists that they don't know and judging them as poseurs and rich douchebags. Some folks need to look in the mirror me thinks (BTW, at least one cyclist in the picture regularly posts on Velocipede Salon and seems like a helluva nice guy).

As to Rapha, as soon as the haters create their own successful company and produce quality goods and support cycling at the same level as Rapha then I'll listen to their opinions, until then well, Rapha kit is their kit, like it or not why bag on the company or those consumers who choose to buy it? Its in the same ball park on quality and cost as Assos and Exte Ondo and, and so ride what you like.

As to Patagonia - similar comment - the snark on Yvon is unnecessary. Care to guess how many millions of $$ and thousands of groups Patagonia supports, each year, through its grants program? Many times more than all those other socially responsible made in USA manufacturers combined. They walk the talk and have for years - does this mean they can't or shouldn't be a successful company financially as well?

Bunch of haters around here on this thread.

jlwdm
10-12-2016, 11:05 PM

As to Patagonia - similar comment - the snark on Yvon is unnecessary. Care to guess how many millions of $$ and thousands of groups Patagonia supports, each year, through its grants program? Many times more than all those other socially responsible made in USA manufacturers combined. They walk the talk and have for years - does this mean they can't or shouldn't be a successful company financially as well?

My problem with Patagonia is I have never seen a product they make that I wanted. I am not a climber or hiker so maybe that makes sense.

Jeff

Kirk007
10-12-2016, 11:21 PM
My problem with Patagonia is I have never seen a product they make that I wanted. I am not a climber or hiker so maybe that makes sense.

Jeff

Well I see you live in Texas so probably don't need their nano puff hoody - I swear I've lived in that jacket every day from October through March in Seattle for the past three years! Yeah not all their products hit the mark nor meet some folks needs and on occasion I've got something that didn't meet expectations but overall I give them high marks; I've got a bunch of stuff that just keep going and going and going.

And they've supported the conservation group that I run for 25 years straight with grants, reduced cost gear for field work, publicity in their catalogs, free training for grass roots advocates, free space at their local stores for events. For me they've been a great company and have some great employees.

rwsaunders
10-13-2016, 12:33 AM
I see diversity...8 white helmets, 3 black helmets and a blue/silver helmet.

jlwdm
10-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Well I see you live in Texas so probably don't need their nano puff hoody - I swear I've lived in that jacket every day from October through March in Seattle for the past three years! Yeah not all their products hit the mark nor meet some folks needs and on occasion I've got something that didn't meet expectations but overall I give them high marks; I've got a bunch of stuff that just keep going and going and going.

I have lived 45 years in Western Washington though.

Jeff

r_mutt
10-13-2016, 12:36 PM
diversity? how many of you complainers actually ride with a racially and gender diverse group?

joosttx
10-13-2016, 01:04 PM
diversity? how many of you complainers actually ride with a racially and gender diverse group?

I do. But I am not complaining

FlashUNC
10-13-2016, 01:06 PM

I rode with someone from the next county over once. I figure that's diverse enough.

belopsky
10-13-2016, 01:20 PM
I have lived 45 years in Western Washington though.

Jeff

"Cool." So you don't like their products, no problem. Lots of people do.

It's versatile wear, not everything that is meant for hiking and climbing is only used for that?

Their quality is great, and if something is off, they make it right - whether it's replacement, repair, or refund.

tv_vt
10-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Actually, I think it's kind of a cool photo. It gets your attention. Reminds me of how you see rock bands posing for album shoots - no smiles allowed, be understated to the point of almost zombie-like.

For a group ride of 12 people who aren't supposedly on a team, their kit coordinates well (no surprise there, of course). When I think of what the kit looks like when 12 regular Joes and Jills get together for a ride, I start to cringe from how loud some of the kit can be.

And... once again, a thread about Rapha goes 8 plus pages... never fails. They're doing something right. I guarantee you won't see a Pearl Izumi thread get this many comments.

torquer
10-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Gimbels, which originally started at the (then) Alexanders' on Fordham Road in the Bronx. But enough of the locals moved to Westchester that the starting point shifted north, too. (And plenty of Rapha on display.)

A few fast women, too, but not enough to qualify as gender diverse.

kitsnob
10-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Gimbels, which originally started at the (then) Alexanders' on Fordham Road in the Bronx. But enough of the locals moved to Westchester that the starting point shifted north, too. (And plenty of Rapha on display.)

A few fast women, too, but not enough to qualify as gender diverse.

Gimbel ride is one of the better training rides just north of NYC!!
Glad to hear it's still running.
Do they still ride it Saturday AND Sunday or has it scaled back to just Saturday?

54ny77
10-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Gimbels used to be the most awesome multilingual haul ass suffer fest in the metro area. Loved it.

Haven't been on it in years though, maybe it's changed.

sailorboy
10-13-2016, 05:48 PM
So acted like knobs on a Gentleman's ride? Got it.

What do you mean by this? Were you there?

It's not like we thumbed our noses at them, and we know some of the Rapha crew. None of them had anything negative to say about our kit choice as we didn't about theirs. And we hung out and partied after with all the good people who showed up, most of whom also weren't wearing any Rapha kit. Stop taking shots from the cheap seats.

FlashUNC
10-13-2016, 06:39 PM
What do you mean by this? Were you there?

It's not like we thumbed our noses at them, and we know some of the Rapha crew. None of them had anything negative to say about our kit choice as we didn't about theirs. And we hung out and partied after with all the good people who showed up, most of whom also weren't wearing any Rapha kit. Stop taking shots from the cheap seats.

Crowing about "winning" a cookie ride is a little silly.

I knew some folks who did the ride who stopped for ice cream, take pictures and generally enjoyed the day. Even mentioned to me after the fact they thought it was weird one group left so much earlier than just about everyone else. I'm guessing that was you guys?

Besides, everyone in the cheap seats generally seem to have the most fun at ballgames anyways.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2016, 06:04 AM

Jeff

Sounds like a personal problem. I'm not a climber or hiker either and the Patagonia stuff I have is first rate and perfect for the season..long lasting, well fitting, excellent quality...as I 'hike' down to the mall, and 'climb' the steps into the store. But It's like any brand. I can't stomach Assos anything and their sizing and marketing is dumb, IMHO.

estilley
10-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Sounds like a personal problem. I'm not a climber or hiker either and the Patagonia stuff I have is first rate and perfect for the season..long lasting, well fitting, excellent quality...as I 'hike' down to the mall, and 'climb' the steps into the store. But It's like any brand. I can't stomach Assos anything and their sizing and marketing is dumb, IMHO.

That's it right there. Every brand is hoping to gain a group of followers. Some will choose Rapha, others Assos, some neither. Pretty cool how we have so many options for bike clothing anyway!

belopsky
10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
That's it right there. Every brand is hoping to gain a group of followers. Some will choose Rapha, others Assos, some neither. Pretty cool how we have so many options for bike clothing anyway!

I hear assos shorts are nice, but once again, probably depends - the chamois probably all come from the same factory, be it Rapha, Assos or Aerotech ?

PQJ
10-14-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't know much about search engine optimization but to the extent that Rapha could somehow tie in to this forum I imagine it would do wonders for their page rankings.

jlwdm
10-14-2016, 09:51 AM

I don't see how it is a personal problem. I grew up across the street from an owner of a men's clothing store which got me interested in clothes at an early age. Not something my parents ever had any interest in. I buy clothes that I like the looks of, feel good and are well made.

I like Assos bibs but not their jerseys. I like the jersey material but only have one jersey because I don't like the styles. Marketing is not going to keep me from buying a product I like. Great products are hard enough to find.

Jeff

joosttx
10-14-2016, 10:25 AM
I don't see how it is a personal problem. I grew up across the street from an owner of a men's clothing store which got me interested in clothes at an early age. Not something my parents ever had any interest in. I buy clothes that I like the looks of, feel good and are well made.

I like Assos bibs but not their jerseys. I like the jersey material but only have one jersey because I don't like the styles. Marketing is not going to keep me from buying a product I like. Great products are hard enough to find.

Jeff

I think he was joking....

54ny77
10-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Best shop on the planet.

And more than a few guys there have the legs to silence the critics.

:beer:

54ny77
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Says the guy living in the juiced-up HGH 'roid masters capital of the universe!

;)

^The East Coast is so weird.

dbnm
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Approaching 5000 views. Amazing.

54ny77
10-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Lance!

Lance!

Lance!

Surely will generate another 5k. :D

Approaching 5000 views. Amazing.

verticaldoug
10-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Depending on the weekend, you can definitely hear more spanish in the Gimbel's ride than english. A few fast women, but otherwise it looks like the NY boroughs- a little bit of everything.

You also get A-Z in bikes.

sfhbike
10-14-2016, 01:31 PM

They're actually recognized in the industry for their leadership in innovating more sustainable manufacturing methods and practices. I know this from a friend who works in the field. If you are outsourcing, like all these companies do, you do have certain leverage with the factories you choose to work with. Just because they all manufacture there doesn't mean they all do it in the same way.

ptourkin
10-14-2016, 01:46 PM
They're actually recognized in the industry for their leadership in innovating more sustainable manufacturing methods and practices. I know this from a friend who works in the field. If you are outsourcing, like all these companies do, you do have certain leverage with the factories you choose to work with. Just because they all manufacture there doesn't mean they all do it in the same way.

Yeah, he actually did cut down on his lines and the colors offered and many other things over concerns about sustainability. Was this tongue in cheek?

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/patagonias-anti-growth-strategy

p.s. I know someone who has hit the road to repair old clothing and equipment for Patagonia - they are practicing what they preach. He also had more than a hand in painting some of the more baller frames in the Custom gallery.

azrider
10-14-2016, 02:13 PM
I don't know much about search engine optimization but to the extent that Rapha could somehow tie in to this forum I imagine it would do wonders for their page rankings.

Rapha is currently "trending" on Twitter..........

irideti
10-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Funny I noticed few cyclists waving at me when I'm riding with Rapha kit. However I get plenty of waving when riding with my local team kit. I guess many local guys think Rapha is for 'amateurs' with money to spend. But in reality I found Rapha stuff are very high in quality and don't cost too much more than my Capo team kit.

mellowandre
10-14-2016, 03:43 PM
If riding and hanging out with like-minded people makes you happy, then why should any of us have a problem with that?

Is anyone being harmed?

Who really cares?

+1 for this^. keep bikes fun!

sfhbike
10-14-2016, 03:46 PM
p.s. I know someone who has hit the road to repair old clothing and equipment for Patagonia - they are practicing what they preach. He also had more than a hand in painting some of the more baller frames in the Custom gallery.

That's pretty cool!

rallizes
10-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Always amusing to read a thread talking trash about good people I know.

rileystylee
10-14-2016, 04:19 PM
here's a bunch of tossers in the UK

http://ec1collective.com/

nicely commented on by

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/292774/

sailorboy
10-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Crowing about "winning" a cookie ride is a little silly.

I knew some folks who did the ride who stopped for ice cream, take pictures and generally enjoyed the day. Even mentioned to me after the fact they thought it was weird one group left so much earlier than just about everyone else. I'm guessing that was you guys?

Besides, everyone in the cheap seats generally seem to have the most fun at ballgames anyways.

Actually, there were designated start times, we left when ours was assigned.

I didn't post the pictures of us stopping for food, and water at some local folks' houses (cuz there was no support from Rapha, and nowhere to buy it for long stretches), and even to walk up some of the sections of the last hill because we couldn't turn the pedals any longer. I can if you want, but they're kind of boring imho.

Why don't you join us for the next 'cookie race' and see how it goes?

FlashUNC
10-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Actually, there were designated start times, we left when ours was assigned.

I didn't post the pictures of us stopping for food, and water at some local folks' houses (cuz there was no support from Rapha, and nowhere to buy it for long stretches), and even to walk up some of the sections of the last hill because we couldn't turn the pedals any longer. I can if you want, but they're kind of boring imho.

Why don't you join us for the next 'cookie race' and see how it goes?

Omg will you finish an hour ahead of me too? I can't wait for the posts about it.

That'll learn me good. I can't wait to hear the next tale of beating people who aren't racing.

You're just making my point for me. It doesn't matter when anyone finished when the point of the thing is the journey rather than the destination. But if you get your kicks from "winning" this kind of thing, more power to you.

adub
10-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Checking my mailbox this evening there was a Patagonia catalog (hard copy, paper- delivered by a mailman) addressed to me that I never requested- I did recently by a puffy vest on sale via the website. Funny I received this junk-mail from such an environmentally responsible company, especially when I did not request to be on a mailing list. IMO they are no different than Banana Republic, as they both have outlet stores to move the copious amounts of cheaply produced clothing they produce.

I do purchase the odd piece from Patagonia because I like how it looks, not because of their environmental shtick. Disclaimer- I also do by some of my work clothes from Banana Republic.

I truly would like to buy more locally made clothing, I have a few shirts from Sitka, I wear Jeans that the denim is MFG in Canada, thy are also sewn in Canada, but with my job I wear out (wreck) clothes, so from a financial perspective I also shop with price in mind.

https://sitka.ca/

oldpotatoe
10-15-2016, 06:00 AM

Jeff

My point is clothes, regardless of what they are used for, is subjective and personal. Not liking some manufacturer's stuff doesn't make it their 'problem' with them, IMHO. Not really a problem at all.

We aren't here, yet..

Extra credit!..Name this movie and get a 'Campagnolo Spoken here' sticker!!

Cicli
10-15-2016, 06:02 AM
here's a bunch of tossers in the UK

http://ec1collective.com/

nicely commented on by

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/292774/

I had to look up "tosser". Seems about right.

mcteague
10-15-2016, 06:10 AM
My point is clothes, regardless of what they are used for, is subjective and personal. Not liking some manufacturer's stuff doesn't make it their 'problem' with them, IMHO. Not really a problem at all.

We aren't here, yet..

Extra credit!..Name this movie and get a 'Campagnolo Spoken here' sticker!!

THX 1138?

Tim

mcteague
10-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Agreed. Just came back from walking the dog. It was in the 40s so I put on my 25+ year old Patagonia fleece pullover. That thing keeps going and going. And, I wear it regularly every year. I don't have a lot of their clothing but it certainly lasts long enough for you to forget the cost.

Tim

oldpotatoe
10-15-2016, 06:14 AM
THX 1138?

Tim

Nice!! Great movie, George Lucas' first film..PM your address and I'll send ya the sticker.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 06:46 AM

Well done.

110 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing and Ralpha's web pages says up to 12 hours will be required? Seriously? Whoopty doo. A decent rider could knock this off before lunch or afternoon tea time at worst.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 07:17 AM
We highly recommend spare kit

In case the seams fail?

Or for the gentlemen to freshen up before adjoining into the more civilized areas of the clubhouse?

http://pages.rapha.cc/prestige/rapha-prestige-appalachia

joosttx
10-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Well done.

110 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing and Ralpha's web pages says up to 12 hours will be required? Seriously? Whoopty doo. A decent rider could knock this off before lunch or afternoon tea time at worst.

These boys are little more than decent riders. I know. I think the key words to Raphael statement is "up to" As I recall temperatures were in the 90s the 100F making this thing more challenging.

I think the joke here is that they are proud about winning a race that wasn't a race.

ripvanrando
10-15-2016, 10:18 AM
In case the seams fail?

Or for the gentlemen to freshen up before adjoining into the more civilized areas of the clubhouse?

http://pages.rapha.cc/prestige/rapha-prestige-appalachia

These boys are little more than decent riders. I know. I think the key words to Raphael statement is "up to" As I recall temperatures were in the 90s the 100F making this thing more challenging.

I think the joke here is that they are proud about winning a race that wasn't a race.
Finishing an hour ahead was the statement made. Not winning. Finishing ahead of fiver fininishing teams and 20 non finishing teams. 80% failure rate. Pathetic. 20/25 failed. How else to characterize? Poseurs.

joosttx
10-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Finishing an hour ahead was the statement made. Not winning. Finishing ahead of fiver fininishing teams and 20 non finishing teams. 80% failure rate. Pathetic. 20/25 failed. How else to characterize? Poseurs.

I think the issue made was the inference of winning. Frankly, I don't care other than the entertainment of the pissing match. What sailor boy and the group did was very impressive. A tip of the hat to those boys. I am a champion of the epic ride and all the knuckleheads that do them.

Regarding Rapha. They do a great job supporting cycling. Last Thursday, they were giving out free coffees and pastries before a group ride. I don't bite the hand that feeds me. Buy their merino boxer briefs. They are the best ever.

19wisconsin64
10-15-2016, 11:38 AM
If it weren't for all the vast numbers of "Poseurs", like myself, who contribute the majority of spending dollars to the cycling industry and world, things wouldn't be getting better.....they simply wouldn't be. For every 100 to 1,000 recreational cyclists there might be one racer of note. I'm not that racer, and even if I was I'd be very happy to wear Rapha cycling gear if they sponsored my team.

Next time you see a Poseur, smile, give a little head nod even. It's OK, they won't threaten you or beat you in any of your races even if they are neatly kitted out in the latest Rapha gear.

To quote the great philosopher Homer: "I don't wanna be a wannabe league bowler anymore! I wanna be a league bowler!"

zap
10-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Edit

Funny I noticed few cyclists waving at me when I'm riding with Rapha kit. However I get plenty of waving when riding with my local team kit.

I wave hi to the one or two cyclist I see wearing Rapha kit as I ride by in my Assos kit.

Kiiiiddding :).

Seriously, I just don't see too many cyclists in Maryland wearing Rapha. The few that I do see look the part. Skinny, riding hard and looking good on the bike.

If a lbs carried Rapha, I'd try on a pair of bibs or a jersey.