PDA

View Full Version : Like the swallows returning to Capistrano

Zard
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Phil Ligget announced that today's stage was the finest battle ever on the mountain...

I was worried he wasn't going to get it in but he did with about 4 ks to go. He does this every year...love his enthusiasm!

Great shots of Denis Menchov suffering, refusing a bottle, etc. good stuff.

BoulderGeek
07-18-2006, 06:54 PM
That's funny. I thought the same thing.

Can't wait until he says " XXXX is hammering down the straight like a grand prix motor car!"

We need more Bobke.

CJH
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Actually I think Paul and Phil where doing a pretty good job! The less we have to endure of Al and Bob the better! Maybe a little of Bobke but deffinately no Al...

BoulderGeek
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Actually I think Paul and Phil where doing a pretty good job! The less we have to endure of Al and Bob the better! Maybe a little of Bobke but deffinately no Al...

Ok, I concur, mon frere.

Kirsten Gum's relentless inanities are thankfully absent this year. However, her healthy sweater kittens justified some of that. :D :no:

It's just that Phil is getting a bit long in the tooth, and resorts to a nearly identical commentary year after year. The differentiating factor is how much Paul has to rescue Phil from inaccuracies and stumbling.

I think Paul is grinding his teeth, waiting and ready to take the helm.

BBB
07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
I was worried he wasn't going to get it in but he did with about 4 ks to go. He does this every year...love his enthusiasm!

He often pulls out the "this is the greatest performance we have seen in the Tour de France in years" (or words to that effect) line on a regular basis.

Mistakes or not, gotta be a pretty good gig commentating for various English speaking broadcasts around the world.