PDA

View Full Version : cassette - strange experience

buzlevin
07-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Here's the question - what should I do?

Living in the rolling hills of Maryland (and then some) i have always used a traditional set on the back 12 - 25 and the normal duce on the front,
I recently hung up my 17 year old Merlin for a newer Fugi Team racing cycle (much liter) which had much different gearing 11 - 21 in the back.
My riding seemed to be much stronger and I was up the hills aggressively passing my team on the way. Now I attributed this to my recent 13 pound weight loss coupled with a liter cycel ... and enjoyed it all !.
Recently I had a tech look at my cycle and he mentioned that the racing gearing was exceptionally agressive for this area, not to mention my 59 years of experience !
I am now due to replace all gearing, chains, etc. for the annual/mileage requirements and am thinking... am I nuts? should I go to a 12 - 25 or in between with a 11 - 23 or stay and replace the 11 - 21. I feel great and the hill experience is wonderful (also strange for me).
I don't want to loose a thing but also do want to spend a great deal on the wrong combo.
ANY ADVISE for the experts ?

buzz

Sandy
07-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I would place this question in the General Discussion section. The question really doesn't have much to do with bike fit. Your thread will be read by many more members and viewers in the General Discussion section, thus generating many more responses.

Sandy

Chief
07-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Here's the question - what should I do?

Living in the rolling hills of Maryland (and then some) i have always used a traditional set on the back 12 - 25 and the normal duce on the front,
I recently hung up my 17 year old Merlin for a newer Fugi Team racing cycle (much liter) which had much different gearing 11 - 21 in the back.
My riding seemed to be much stronger and I was up the hills aggressively passing my team on the way. Now I attributed this to my recent 13 pound weight loss coupled with a liter cycel ... and enjoyed it all !.
Recently I had a tech look at my cycle and he mentioned that the racing gearing was exceptionally agressive for this area, not to mention my 59 years of experience !
I am now due to replace all gearing, chains, etc. for the annual/mileage requirements and am thinking... am I nuts? should I go to a 12 - 25 or in between with a 11 - 23 or stay and replace the 11 - 21. I feel great and the hill experience is wonderful (also strange for me).
I don't want to loose a thing but also do want to spend a great deal on the wrong combo.
ANY ADVISE for the experts ?

buzz

Why change something that you enjoy because some techie says it is exceptionally aggressive. I am no expert, but I use a 11-21 with a 53/39 in the Hill Country and it has worked for me and I enjoy it after 68 years of experience. So if you have a 11-21, then be aggressive or whatever turns you on. Afterall, it is an ole guy thing.

djcwardog
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I put an IRD 11-28 10-speed (from ebay) on and the gear range is fantastic. It's nice to get a bit more difference between each gear change - and 10 cogs out back... The overkill factor is my Ultegra triple crank. If I can't get up a hill then I need pitons!