PDA

View Full Version : PM for tubulars

sfscott
10-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Is there any guideline to when a tubular should be swapped out, reglued, etc.?

I've read the the posts about trying to pry the tire off when inflated to check for adhesion, but wondered if there is a rule of thumb that after x years a tire should be reglued or replaced.

I have latex tubulars, so they tend to deflate and get reinflated and, sadly, not ridden a ton, although the tread is beginning to smooth out.

Just wondering if the natural materials in the tube/tire and the glue have a finite life span, esp. if not ridden a ton--kind of like hoses on a car that dry out.

.RJ
10-10-2016, 07:19 PM
For cross, I stick to 2 seasons, which is really about 16 months. But that sees a lot more mud, water and cleaning than a road tubular will, but the glue is starting to get dry at that point.

Vamoots58
10-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I have been riding FMB exclusively for the last year and a half. Paris Roubaix and Comp CX. I hope to get around 2000km out of each set. They may well last longer, but rather not push my luck. Paying for god quality tubulars is a luxury I know, but life is too short... I just swapped out a pair of Comp CX's with about 1600km on them. Rear tread was starting to peel away in a couple of spots. I am trying a pair of the Corsa G+ as an experiment.

ultraman6970
10-10-2016, 07:52 PM
IMO you have to change them when you have to change them, I mean.. if the tubular thread is gone and you got the 1st flat, clearly is better get it replaced because the thread rubber is too thin already.

Ive had tubulars last me very long time and in general if you glue tubulars is easy to know if something could be wrong because the tubular itself is getting dry. If the tubular is dry and we are talking about the original gluing work, is almost sure you have to re glue the tubulars.

Easy to know if a tubular is not glued, just use the thumbs technique.

carpediemracing
10-10-2016, 08:59 PM
I bought my current Stinger 7/9 race wheels used, with tires on them, I think 3 years ago now. I checked the original glue jobs, was supremely impressed, and have raced them 3 seasons on the rear without a problem. I replaced the front last winter due to a flat or slow leak. Not too much racing this year in 2016 but still, time counts. I only race on the wheels so they get very few hours annually, maybe 10 hours this year, 20 or 30 in the other years. Even so the rear is starting to wear a bit.

I'm probably one of the most paranoid riders as far as rolling a tubular goes.

For me any hint of the tread separating from the casing (i.e. the original adhesive/latex is going), any sign that the basetape is starting to peel, and off with the tire.

I've removed well glued and still-good tires and inadvertently ruined them, but I'd rather do that than roll a tire diving into a turn.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Is there any guideline to when a tubular should be swapped out, reglued, etc.?

I've read the the posts about trying to pry the tire off when inflated to check for adhesion, but wondered if there is a rule of thumb that after x years a tire should be reglued or replaced.

I have latex tubulars, so they tend to deflate and get reinflated and, sadly, not ridden a ton, although the tread is beginning to smooth out.

Just wondering if the natural materials in the tube/tire and the glue have a finite life span, esp. if not ridden a ton--kind of like hoses on a car that dry out.

3 things to watch out for..1)thumb test and the tire comes off easily or 2)the base tape starts to separate from the tire..3)along with normal tread wear..

If number 2 or 3, replace..if number 1..reglue.

redir
10-11-2016, 08:55 AM
It's better to check them when they are deflated IMO. Look for tackiness in the glue and all else that others have mentioned.

I had a Tufo cross tire glued to the same rim for 5 years once and one day it finally just turned to power and came off. That was an impressive run especially knowing what it had been through.

chiasticon
10-11-2016, 09:06 AM
just ride more so that you have to replace them from being worn :banana:

djdj
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM
For me any hint of the tread separating from the casing (i.e. the original adhesive/latex is going), any sign that the basetape is starting to peel, and off with the tire.

Separation of tread from the casing can often be fixed with a bit of Barge cement without removing the tire. Apply a bit to the tread and the casing, wait 10 minutes, press the tread and casing together and apply a clamp (like those plastic clamps used to keep pretzel bags closed). I've done it several times, and it has always held.