PDA

View Full Version : Securing bar tape near brake lever

Kingfisher
10-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Installed this Cinelli tennis bar rubber tape the other day (great tape btw, very grippy) and I have a little protrusion sticking out left brake lever that is driving me nuts!! Don't want to strip off the tape to correct, what is best way to get this flap to adhere back to bar?

R3awak3n
10-10-2016, 08:43 AM
you need to strip the tape back to correct imo, both sides of the tape need to somewhat overlap that strip or this will keep happening.

tuscanyswe
10-10-2016, 08:53 AM
you need to strip the tape back to correct imo, both sides of the tape need to somewhat overlap that strip or this will keep happening.

+1

It also appears slightly short for ease of installation. Probably enough length tho just a tad more is easier to get to sit better under the hood before one wraps the edges of it. Can be trimmed after as needed.

victoryfactory
10-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Yep, bite the bullet and re-wrap

jemoryl
10-10-2016, 09:19 AM
If you want to be lazy until you do it right, I recently had good luck repairing a tear in some black 'cork' tape with some black silicone stuff made for creating 'gaskets' (I had it laying around). You can't really tell the repair was made.

oldpotatoe
10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Installed this Cinelli tennis bar rubber tape the other day (great tape btw, very grippy) and I have a little protrusion sticking out left brake lever that is driving me nuts!! Don't want to strip off the tape to correct, what is best way to get this flap to adhere back to bar?

Not cutting it so short will allow the ends to be tucked into the hoods.

thermalattorney
10-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Some proper double-sided tape. The kind that features "permanent" adhesive and a peel-off backing. Just cut yourself a triangle, slip in and stick to the inside of the bar tape, peel off backing and press firmly.

As easy a fix as this is, if you don't already own a $7 roll of this stuff just suck it up and re-wrap.

10-10-2016, 01:12 PM
This little bit, even if secured with cyanoacrylate and double layers of 3M high-strength double-sided bonding tape, will still rub on your hand in such a way as to cause irrevocable nerve damage, skin degeneration and ulceration, and probably a callus as well. Your position will be offset and will spark spinal problems, hip displacement, knee pains, and wobbly ankles. This in turn will cause premature wear on your saddle and your cleats and pedals, and probably cause you to rub ankle marks on your cranks, necessitating their replacement. Your only viable solution is to take the three minutes it takes to unwrap the tape to the lever, reposition that little piece so the end is buried securely under the lever hood (as per the Spud) and rewrap. Now you can still cause abysmal problems when you rewrap if you don't match the plastic tape you use to tape off the bar tape on this side compared to the other. They have to be pretty precise or your riding will be lopsided and you will again fall prey to the many misalignment maladies mentioned above. Just a warning to be careful and do it right.

old fat man
10-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Also, next time lay two pieces vertically with the seem in the middle instead of horizontal. More coverage on the sides where it's needed

jasonification
10-10-2016, 06:10 PM
This little bit, even if secured with cyanoacrylate and double layers of 3M high-strength double-sided bonding tape, will still rub on your hand in such a way as to cause irrevocable nerve damage, skin degeneration and ulceration, and probably a callus as well. Your position will be offset and will spark spinal problems, hip displacement, knee pains, and wobbly ankles. This in turn will cause premature wear on your saddle and your cleats and pedals, and probably cause you to rub ankle marks on your cranks, necessitating their replacement. Your only viable solution is to take the three minutes it takes to unwrap the tape to the lever, reposition that little piece so the end is buried securely under the lever hood (as per the Spud) and rewrap. Now you can still cause abysmal problems when you rewrap if you don't match the plastic tape you use to tape off the bar tape on this side compared to the other. They have to be pretty precise or your riding will be lopsided and you will again fall prey to the many misalignment maladies mentioned above. Just a warning to be careful and do it right.

HA!:hello:

Cicli
10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Peter P.
10-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I can't believe you ride in public with your bars looking like that-get to the back of the paceline and stay there until you fix that turd!

Seriously; I say go with the superglue. But instead of gluing it down, try end-gluing a 1" strip onto that cowlick and then tuck it under the hood. You can probably roll the hood forward to do the deed.

chiasticon
10-11-2016, 08:21 AM
how many people actually use those little strips? I always immediately chuck them and the included finishing tape. then wrap up and around the levers in a figure-eight type deal. never have issues with exposed bar as shown in this abomination (jk, jk ;)) but it is sometimes difficult to have enough tape to wrap as far as I want to, with some tapes at least.

fignon's barber
10-11-2016, 09:41 AM
I always immediately chuck them and the included finishing tape. then wrap up and around the levers in a figure-eight type deal.

+1. I started wrapping figure 8 style a couple years ago. There's something about wrapping in one piece, rather than sticking a 2 inch piece to fill a gap, that I prefer.

FlashUNC
10-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Consider it a chance to improve your bar wrapping technique. Can't paper over a crappy wrap job.