PDA

View Full Version : WTB IRD 10spd 12-32 or similar cassette for campy

VoyTirando
10-10-2016, 12:19 AM
So.... I have a question that has morphed into a possible "want to buy" if the powers that be think this isn't a bad idea.

I just acquired a 'gravel' frameset that has clearance for bigger tires, and want to set it up for fall trails, etc. I was going to strip my beloved Bridgestone RB-T to build this, but am hesitating to do that. The RB-T is great for commuting, for shopping at the co-op, for locking up occasionally. I have it dialed pretty great right now. Instead, I have aspirations of giving my steel Pinarello Montello frameset a break, and stripping most of it - a mix of Centaur and Chorus 10 - for a spin on a gravel bike. I want to gear this baby low: I'm thinking D2R2 low, with a 32 on the low end. I have a long cage rear derailleur, and I do not intend to go triple with the crank (I'll use an FSA compact I have in the parts bin). And I just cannot on principle shell out retail for what IRD wants for a cassette. I'm sure their product is great; I just can't pay that.

First, does this make any sense, and if so, Does anyone have a 1) an IRD 10 speed cassette with a 32 low cog for sale, or 2) a custom Miche cassette, similar range, that they've built? (also a rear 10 spd campy shifter, as the guts of mine are stripped)

Best,
Scott in Brooklyn

oldpotatoe
10-10-2016, 09:35 AM
So.... I have a question that has morphed into a possible "want to buy" if the powers that be think this isn't a bad idea.

I just acquired a 'gravel' frameset that has clearance for bigger tires, and want to set it up for fall trails, etc. I was going to strip my beloved Bridgestone RB-T to build this, but am hesitating to do that. The RB-T is great for commuting, for shopping at the co-op, for locking up occasionally. I have it dialed pretty great right now. Instead, I have aspirations of giving my steel Pinarello Montello frameset a break, and stripping most of it - a mix of Centaur and Chorus 10 - for a spin on a gravel bike. I want to gear this baby low: I'm thinking D2R2 low, with a 32 on the low end. I have a long cage rear derailleur, and I do not intend to go triple with the crank (I'll use an FSA compact I have in the parts bin). And I just cannot on principle shell out retail for what IRD wants for a cassette. I'm sure their product is great; I just can't pay that.

First, does this make any sense, and if so, Does anyone have a 1) an IRD 10 speed cassette with a 32 low cog for sale, or 2) a custom Miche cassette, similar range, that they've built? (also a rear 10 spd campy shifter, as the guts of mine are stripped)

Best,
Scott in Brooklyn

I can probably repair your shifter...if Record/Chorus or Centaur, 2006 or older or Record/Chorus 2008 and older.

donevwil
10-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Yes, using an IRD Wide Range cassette to get the gearing you want instead of shelling out big $$ for a sub-compact crank makes a lot of sense. I used an 11-34 with a 44-34 compact setup for a couple years on my BMC MX with 29x2.0s until I'd saved for a WI VBC. The IRDs shift well, much better than a Miche. I agree that retail is hard to stomach, but they can be found cheaper on ebay, or, as you've guessed, here. None for sale personally, but I did buy the 11-34 here and a used 12-32 on ebay.

I do recommend placing a WTB in the classifieds.

VoyTirando
10-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks, both of you. @potatoe, looking forward to your breathing some life into this shifter. @donevwil, thanks for your thoughts on this. I appreciate your opinion on IRD v. Miche. Yes, in my dreams I'd love to shell out for a White VBC (hell, if I could find one in approx the same price range of the wide-range cassette, I'd go that route instead), but I'm going to take a stab at.... waiting and see if the cassette (or VBC) surfaces here.

Rats. I *hoped* to get this thing out on the road later this week, but sounds like I'd better take a deep breath and do it right.

donevwil
10-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Cassettes are easily swapped, toss a Campy Veloce/Centaur 13-29 or 12-30 on there now and you'll be good for all but the most extreme terrain until you find the VBC or IRD that fits the budget.