PDA

View Full Version : P1 Power Meter and Edge 1000

Splash
10-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Hello All.

I recently read that not all readings and data that the Edge 1000 is able to display are supported by the protocol of these pedals.

If you know, can you possibly advise what these missing readings and data would be?

Splash

SoCalSteve
10-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Hello All.

I recently read that not all readings and data that the Edge 1000 is able to display are supported by the protocol of these pedals.

If you know, can you possibly advise what these missing readings and data would be?

Splash

I've used both those together and I cannot imagine what data could be missing. It spews out so much data it makes your head spin!

Please give me specifics and I'd be happy to check my Garmin connect account.

Splash
10-10-2016, 02:35 AM
Hi Steve..

Can you confirm if all of these power parameters can be produced and read in the edge 1000 by using the P1 pedal:

Power - %FTP
Power - 10s Avg
Power - 30s Avg.
Power - 3s Avg
Power - Avg
Power - IF
Power - kJ
Power - Lap
Power - Lap Max.
Power - Last Lap
Power - Max.
Power - NP
Power - NP Lap
Power - NP Last Lap
Power Phase - L.: The current power phase angle for the left leg. Power phase is the pedal stroke region where you produce positive power.
Power Phase - L. Avg.: The average power phase angle for the left leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - L. Lap: The average power phase angle for the left leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - L. Peak: The current power phase peak angle for the left leg. Power phase peak is the angle range over which you produce the peak portion of the driving force.
Power Phase - L. Peak Avg.: The average power phase peak angle for the left leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - L. Peak Lap: The average power phase peak angle for the left leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - R.: The current power phase angle for the right leg. Power phase is the pedal stroke region where you produce positive power.
Power Phase - R. Avg.: The average power phase angle for the right leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - R. Lap: The average power phase angle for the right leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - R. Peak: The current power phase peak angle for the right leg. Power phase peak is the angle range over which you produce the peak portion of the driving force.
Power Phase - R. Peak Avg.: The average power phase peak angle for the right leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - R. Peak Lap: The average power phase peak angle for the right leg for the current lap.
Power - TSS
Power - watts/kg: The amount of power output in watts per kilogram.
Power Zone

Also, how do you find the P1 in reliability and durability and battery life?

Perfomance in wet?

What power meter do you now use?

Splash

sitzmark
10-10-2016, 07:21 AM
Hi Steve..

Can you confirm if all of these power parameters can be produced and read in the edge 1000 by using the P1 pedal:

Power - %FTP
Power - 10s Avg
Power - 30s Avg.
Power - 3s Avg
Power - Avg
Power - IF
Power - kJ
Power - Lap
Power - Lap Max.
Power - Last Lap
Power - Max.
Power - NP
Power - NP Lap
Power - NP Last Lap
Power Phase - L.: The current power phase angle for the left leg. Power phase is the pedal stroke region where you produce positive power.
Power Phase - L. Avg.: The average power phase angle for the left leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - L. Lap: The average power phase angle for the left leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - L. Peak: The current power phase peak angle for the left leg. Power phase peak is the angle range over which you produce the peak portion of the driving force.
Power Phase - L. Peak Avg.: The average power phase peak angle for the left leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - L. Peak Lap: The average power phase peak angle for the left leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - R.: The current power phase angle for the right leg. Power phase is the pedal stroke region where you produce positive power.
Power Phase - R. Avg.: The average power phase angle for the right leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - R. Lap: The average power phase angle for the right leg for the current lap.
Power Phase - R. Peak: The current power phase peak angle for the right leg. Power phase peak is the angle range over which you produce the peak portion of the driving force.
Power Phase - R. Peak Avg.: The average power phase peak angle for the right leg for the current activity.
Power Phase - R. Peak Lap: The average power phase peak angle for the right leg for the current lap.
Power - TSS
Power - watts/kg: The amount of power output in watts per kilogram.
Power Zone

Also, how do you find the P1 in reliability and durability and battery life?

Perfomance in wet?

What power meter do you now use?

Splash

Can't speak to the Edge 1000 but the 510 has the option to display these parameters (and more). A firmware update was just released for the P1s that I haven't installed yet. The email announcing the update referenced cycling dynamics. As of my current level of firmware the bolded items return results on the 510. Those in red do not currently return a value.

Installed the P1s on my CyleOps Indoor Cycle over the offseason and used them on my road bikes this summer. So about a year's worth of use to date. Happily power readings from the pedals closely matched the power readings from the PT hub of the indoor cycle when used simultaneously.

Had a couple of "soaker rides" - as in rained hard for 2.0-3.0 hours of the ride - this year with no pedal issues. I haven't tracked battery life closely, but was probably around the published 60 hours (1000-1200 miles) when I got the red battery indicator light the first time. Rather than chance losing batt power in the middle of a long ride, I defaulted to putting fresh batteries (Lithium ion) in at the beginning of every month ... simple to track and remember.

Other Garmin parameters not listed above:
PCO (center offset)
L/R Balance
Torque Effectiveness
Pedal Smoothness
Time Seated
Time Standing probably because the phase measurements are not being picked up, so all time appears as seated currently.

SoCalSteve
10-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Can't speak to the Edge 1000 but the 510 has the option to display these parameters (and more). A firmware update was just released for the P1s that I haven't installed yet. The email announcing the update referenced cycling dynamics. As of my current level of firmware the bolded items return results on the 510. Those in red do not currently return a value.

Installed the P1s on my CyleOps Indoor Cycle over the offseason and used them on my road bikes this summer. So about a year's worth of use to date. Happily power readings from the pedals closely matched the power readings from the PT hub of the indoor cycle when used simultaneously.

Had a couple of "soaker rides" - as in rained hard for 2.0-3.0 hours of the ride - this year with no pedal issues. I haven't tracked battery life closely, but was probably around the published 60 hours (1000-1200 miles) when I got the red battery indicator light the first time. Rather than chance losing batt power in the middle of a long ride, I defaulted to putting fresh batteries (Lithium ion) in at the beginning of every month ... simple to track and remember.

Other Garmin parameters not listed above:
PCO (center offset)
L/R Balance
Torque Effectiveness
Pedal Smoothness
Time Seated
Time Standing probably because the phase measurements are not being picked up, so all time appears as seated currently.

Sounds about right for the 1000 for data

Never ride in wet weather, so cannot respond.

As for battery life, I can honestly say I get about 6-8 hours from a charge. I have it connected to P1 pedals, cadence, power, Etap and Bluetooth for iPhone. I imagine if you don't have it connected to so many sensors, you will get more life from the battery. But, it is a big ad bright screen, which is really nice. But I am sure this doesn't help.

sitzmark
10-14-2016, 07:42 PM
A follow up FYI ...

Updated P1 pedals to latest firmware rev. - - no change in cycling metrics picked up/displayed by my Edge 510. The fields highlighted in red above can be configured to display - no data populates.

The PowerTap app does track and display (live) phase data. I've only played with it for a few minutes, but didn't see a way to bring up phase graphs once the activity is complete and saved. At least on the iPhone - haven't checked what uploads to connected metrics applications (Saris or 3rd party). The attached appears to be a phase "heat map". Other graphic renditions are available during activity.