PDA

View Full Version : Chromed steel framesets...

jimbolina
10-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I was wondering how folks bring a chromed headtube and fork crown and seat to spec.

In other words, usually after the chroming process on an initially reamed and faced frame, the headtube inside diameter has now increased enough to be too large to allow a proper press-fit of the headset components and will require additional reaming and facing. Obviously, this will also apply to the fork and it's related parts as well.

Anyway, as I understand it, machining a chromed surface will damage the cutting tool itself due to the chrome's extreme hardness. So, with that risk in mind, how does one get the targeted surfaces faced properly without damaging those expensive cutting tools (in this particular case, my Campagnolo cutting tools) in the process?

jimbolina
10-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Any suggestions guys?

OperaLover
10-10-2016, 06:49 PM
The BB and headtube on my Colnago was chromed so it was difficult to face. MY LBS was willing to to do it, but charged me an extra $10 bucks(?) to the tool sharpening fund. It was a Campy Chorus cartrdiege bearing BB so we only had to face the drive side. Fortunately, one the paint came off it was fairly square so not mch chrome was required to be cut. Same with the head tube. Happy to pay a little extra. No problems with the install.

bikinchris
10-10-2016, 08:22 PM
The BB and headtube on my Colnago was chromed so it was difficult to face. MY LBS was willing to to do it, but charged me an extra $10 bucks(?) to the tool sharpening fund. It was a Campy Chorus cartrdiege bearing BB so we only had to face the drive side. Fortunately, one the paint came off it was fairly square so not mch chrome was required to be cut. Same with the head tube. Happy to pay a little extra. No problems with the install.

That's when they are supposed to take a flat file and gently remove the top layer of chrome. A flat bastard is a whole lot cheaper than a tool sharpening.

paredown
10-11-2016, 06:25 AM
That's when they are supposed to take a flat file and gently remove the top layer of chrome. A flat bastard is a whole lot cheaper than a tool sharpening.

This is what has been recommended to me as well.

oldpotatoe
10-11-2016, 06:49 AM

What he said or careful use of a Dremel..

jimbolina
10-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Yes - the file idea sounds excellent! You all mention a flat file. Would a half-round be even better to handle all the curved surfaces more carefully?

Mark McM
10-11-2016, 10:01 AM

That sounds fine for facing flat surfaces, but what about reaming the head tube or milling the crown race diameter? These require fine tolerances for proper press fit, so a file may not be best tool.

OperaLover
10-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Good call on the file. I'll have to remember that one.:)

ParkerMusselman
10-11-2016, 06:47 PM
That sounds fine for facing flat surfaces, but what about reaming the head tube or milling the crown race diameter? These require fine tolerances for proper press fit, so a file may not be best tool.

The crown race sounds like the job for a carbide tool on a lathe.