PDA

View Full Version : I saw cracked chainstay on friend's Ritchey Ti Breakaway

eddief
10-09-2016, 08:56 AM
I am not writing this to set off an internet alarm, but thought worth posting.

I rode with a husband and wife team in Italy in the last few weeks. They were both riding Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway bikes. I do believe both bikes were 8 years old or so according to the owner. When he was breaking them down to put back in the cases for the plane ride home he noticed lengthwise hairline cracks on the underside of the chainstays on both bikes. The crack I saw was a few inches long and looked like weird metal fatigue of some sort. Unless he had them upside down for taking them apart he would never have seen the cracks. He is a big 6 footer, but his wife is petite, so one wonders what the cause is for the cracking.

It will be interesting to to hear how Ritchey responds. And do check your bikes.

pbarry
10-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Just curious: Both chainstays on both bikes?

eddief
10-09-2016, 09:03 AM
I was packing my bike at the same time, so only had a brief look. All I saw was one crack on one stay on one bike, but he said both bikes were victims.

Just curious: Both chainstays on both bikes?

pbarry
10-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Probably DS stay. Hope they make it right.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I am not writing this to set off an internet alarm, but thought worth posting.

I rode with a husband and wife team in Italy in the last few weeks. They were both riding Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway bikes. I do believe both bikes were 8 years old or so according to the owner. When he was breaking them down to put back in the cases for the plane ride home he noticed lengthwise hairline cracks on the underside of the chainstays on both bikes. The crack I saw was a few inches long and looked like weird metal fatigue of some sort. Unless he had them upside down for taking them apart he would never have seen the cracks. He is a big 6 footer, but his wife is petite, so one wonders what the cause is for the cracking.

It will be interesting to to hear how Ritchey responds. And do check your bikes.

Were they from CO? I sold a couple a couple of ti Breakaways..

eddief
10-09-2016, 09:20 AM
nice folks.

Were they from CO? I sold a couple a couple of ti Breakaways..

pbarry
10-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Six degrees of Old Potatoe..

soulspinner
10-09-2016, 09:25 AM

8 years old? Make it right?

Cicli
10-09-2016, 09:27 AM

How? These are 8 year old bikes that travel.

Mzilliox
10-09-2016, 09:45 AM
I'd love to hear more about this, see photos, anything else that comes of it. considering the purchase of one, sounds pretty isolated, but would love to know more.

pbarry
10-09-2016, 09:46 AM
How? These are 8 year old bikes that travel.

Travel stresses the chain stays? :eek:

Lifetime warranties for Ti bikes are not uncommon, but I have no idea what Ritchey says in writing. I would bet TR will offer a replacement or repair.

AngryScientist
10-09-2016, 09:54 AM
what is interesting is that bikes like this probably see a ton of variation in use. higher end travel bikes probably see everything from 12k hard miles/year to the other end of the spectrum with people who buy them for a single trip, ride a couple hundred miles and leave them packed in a case for years and years. with that in mind, it would be hard to see a "trend" in this kind of failure i'm betting. i'd be interested to hear if any more information comes to light on this one, just out of curiosity.

Tickdoc
10-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Hard case, soft case?

Sounds both fixable and caused by a myriad of unknown factors.

Glad they made it home safe. What a nice way to live, travel riding in Italy with you SO.

Cicli
10-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Lifetime warranties for Ti bikes are not uncommon, but I have no idea what Ritchey says in writing. I would bet TR will offer a replacement or repair.

Not saying that caused it but my travel bike sees alot more stresses and knocking around that others. It tends to get ridden on whatever comes along while I am out on the road. Seen everything from road to light single track. Maybe its just me.

pbarry
10-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Not saying that caused it but my travel bike sees alot more stresses and knocking around that others. Maybe its just me.

TSA and associated rough handling should not cause a crack, especially in Ti. A baggage truck ran over a Subaru team bike in a soft case, when I was at Merlin. The frame was checked for alignment. Iirc, the rear end was barely out of spec.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2016, 01:21 PM

I think they will too but they don't make the ti breakaway anymore, do they?

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Six degrees of Old Potatoe..

Post of the year. And accurate, it all goes back to the grand poobah.

Stephen2014
10-09-2016, 05:57 PM
What do any ti experts here say about the metal itself? I have seen on pedals with ti axles warning not to use if the rider is over a certain weight.

slowpoke
10-09-2016, 08:10 PM
^ Ti is stronger, but it's often used for applications focused on lightweight, not durability.

Pegoready
10-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Cool story, eddief. Now post a pic so we can move this to beeatnik's Is This Rideable Meta-Thread.

David Kirk
10-10-2016, 08:49 AM
It sounds like they may have used seamed tubing to keep cost down and that it split along the seam.

dave

staggerwing
10-10-2016, 09:46 AM
^ Ti is stronger, but it's often used for applications focused on lightweight, not durability.

Stronger than what, not most steel alloys found in a quality bicycle (ie not gas pipe). You can say it has a higher specific strength, as in strength for a given weight, which is one reason why it has found its way into many aerospace applications.

eddief
10-10-2016, 10:16 AM
I saw it with my eyes and not my camera. And my first thought when I saw the crack was to wonder how it could crack at that spot and did they use seamed tubing.

It sounds like they may have used seamed tubing to keep cost down and that it split along the seam.

dave

KF9YR
10-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I just took a look at my TR Ti Breakaway Cross and I see no signs of cracks. It is only a few years old though and has 787 ATMG (according to my Garmin) miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

likebikes
10-10-2016, 07:15 PM
what a strange thread.

sandyrs
10-10-2016, 07:44 PM
https://twitter.com/MarquetteKing/status/785550598246502400

mg2ride
10-11-2016, 08:56 AM
what a strange thread.

+1

eddief
10-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Ritchey will be honoring the warranty and offering to replace them.

fourflys
10-20-2016, 11:33 AM

Nice! Always been a fan of Ritchey stuff, seems like TR still takes a lead role in the company...

soulspinner
10-20-2016, 01:17 PM

:hello:

pbarry
10-21-2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the update. I figured they would do the right thing. :beer: