PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2016 Wide Shoes - summary

dem
10-08-2016, 09:12 PM
On a mission to address numb toes... I figured I'd share my wide shoe reviews since it was quite a saga.

First, a brief rant: Someone needs to address the retail shoe experience. I get that LBS cannot carry inventory any longer.. but really, it is absurd. I went to SEVEN LBS, and only 3 had any "wide" shoes. Only one had Sidi Megas in my +/- 1 size. One had 4 random pairs of 2 year old Bontragers. One had 2 pair of the low end shimano mountain shoes.

Maybe we need 3D scanners or something.

Okay, rant over, "wide" shoes I tried (and yes, I mail ordered and then returned a bunch of multiple sizes!)

Bont - arch does not work for me when I tried a narrow, so crossed off the list, since no one carried locally and you have to mail order from China
Sidi Mega - not actually wide, just "extra material" on the narrow last
Shimano SH-M089 Mountain - could not tell any difference between a 45 regular and a 45 wide. Maybe an "extra material" shoe.
Mavic Crossride SL "Maxi" fit - also not wide, just extra material, also super floppy
Shimano SH-RP9 Wide - definitely wide, and very high quality. However, the last is a not quite "flipper foot" shaped and had some odd pressure points.
Lake CX237 Wide - most "flipper foot shaped" and the one I kept. Definitely much cheaper construction and feel than the Shimano. But also made of real leather, so I am optimistic it will "break in" more than the synthetics.

Hope that helps someone.

MattTuck
10-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks for this, appreciate the time/effort to post it up here to help others.

Out of curiosity, did you try any Fizik shoes? I seem to remember someone saying they were pretty wide.

Also, were you bringing your own insoles over from old shoes? I have some orthotic/insoles and they take up a bit of volume, and so that 'extra material' can be helpful, in some situations.

dem
10-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Yes, I tried with my e-soles (with "medium" arch), my custom orthotics (which I don't ride in, but are useful since they were molded to my feet) and Sof Sole FIT neutral insoles.

If you don't need width, the extra volume shoes may be a good choice if you need a "thick" insole.

MattTuck
10-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Yes, I tried with my e-soles (with "medium" arch), my custom orthotics (which I don't ride in, but are useful since they were molded to my feet) and Sof Sole FIT neutral insoles.

If you don't need width, the extra volume shoes may be a good choice if you need a "thick" insole.

I need the width and height, because I have pretty high insteps in addition to the orthotics. So, it is kind of a triple whammy.

bigbill
I've got wide feet and had several pair of Northwaves on the old last that fit well. Then they changed them and the new ones no longer fit me. I went shoe shopping to a few DFW area shops with lots of stock. The wide shoes were too wide around the heel. The biggest shocker of all was that the standard Shimano shoes fit me best of all. That was two years ago and I've worn them out. Now I've got Lake CX301 wide that fit well.

bikinchris
Shimano has new wide last MTB shoes coming out this month with Boa closures. I might try them.

VonTrapp
10-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Specialized Wide has been the widest that's fit my fat foot.

ultraman6970
10-08-2016, 10:26 PM
My experience just because I do need wide shoes aswell.

Bont, those are excellent shoes and their heel retention is IMO the best to none, I think you got the usual painfull arch support, thats the way the shoes are, what you have to do is to pad the arch on top, front and after the top of the arch so this cushion forms the shape of your arch, in my case in particular the arches bothered me for like a week, after that it is fine.

The other detail is that the arch will bother while walking, over the bike and with some handlebar tape pads the way I'm saying you should be ok.

Sidis mega arent wide enough, those things are like 3 to 5 mm wider, is not enough for many of us.

I got a pair of lakes like 2 weeks ago, wide as the bont, comfortable shoes, but what I had to do is to pad the tongue and the sides of the shoe so I can get my heel to get a good retention, I'm between sizes so if i go with the smaller one probably the shoe wont be that wide but w/o actually trying half size smaller wont know.

Regarding your problem with numb toes, well the problem can be the nerves, if you already tried moving the cleats all the way back then the next step IME is just use ridiculously big hand made metatarsal buttons because your problem could be that the nerves are getting inflamed. Thats how I got rid off of the hot spot in my left foot big toe. Tried everything and actually even insoles were not good enough till I made a metatarsal button with a piece of insole, big and tall, stupidly big.

This takes me to another situation, if your saddle is tad low you wont be able to pedal right and that brongs numbness aswell, the other thing is that probably you never noticed but if your toes are curving up (and shrink) while pedaling that will compress the nerves and thats from the pain could be coming from, a ridiculously DIY big metatarsal button will get the toes down and the pressure will subside.

Hope this helps.

dem
10-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Definitely interested in your "huge" metatarasal button - I'm using the "big" esole button and can't really tell any difference.

eric01
10-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Shimano wide works well for me. Although I discovered that I'm somewhere between a wide and normal. I can wear a normal but just have to adjust the straps out and it borders on a little too snug for long rides. Wide I cinch down more.

I have tried bonts wide as well, but unfortunately the arch just didn't agree with me and I wasn't able to heat mold the arch.

mwynne
10-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Anyone got a fave wide but not high volume option? Wide pancake feet here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

owly
10-09-2016, 02:30 AM
Anyone got a fave wide but not high volume option? Wide pancake feet here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd probably start by looking at the higher-model Specialized shoes in a wide.

Have a fairly flat foot, and I found the S-works road model had quite a low volume/height out front and quite wide.
Not quite as wide or as high-volume as Lake.

The S-works heel was a bit more supportive/narrow than the Lake, but I still had a bit of lift due to having a rather narrow heel.

Gordito
10-09-2016, 07:16 AM
I have Lakes CX 402 Wide, it's still a bit too round/pointy for my forefoot,

I'd like to try Bonts for that matter with that square toe box.

quattro
10-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Definitely interested in your "huge" metatarasal button - I'm using the "big" esole button and can't really tell any difference.

Just thought I'd chime in, I use Hapad Metatarsal Pads, you can check them out and order them on the link below. They are thick and come in two sizes. You can remove some of the material if they are to thick,they work great for my nerve issues.I use them on my cycling custom esole orthotics and my everyday shoe orthotics. Check them out. Good luck!
http://www.alimed.com/hapad-metatarsal-pads.html

ultraman6970
10-09-2016, 08:38 AM
The one i had made out of an insole is maybe this size... but taller maybe.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7a/fc/77/7afc77bbd9ea235c9fe7e48beaec3ffc.jpg

bobswire
10-09-2016, 10:12 AM
On a mission to address numb toes... I figured I'd share my wide shoe reviews since it was quite a saga.

First, a brief rant: Someone needs to address the retail shoe experience. I get that LBS cannot carry inventory any longer.. but really, it is absurd. I went to SEVEN LBS, and only 3 had any "wide" shoes. Only one had Sidi Megas in my +/- 1 size. One had 4 random pairs of 2 year old Bontragers. One had 2 pair of the low end shimano mountain shoes.

Maybe we need 3D scanners or something.

Okay, rant over, "wide" shoes I tried (and yes, I mail ordered and then returned a bunch of multiple sizes!)

Bont - arch does not work for me when I tried a narrow, so crossed off the list, since no one carried locally and you have to mail order from China
Sidi Mega - not actually wide, just "extra material" on the narrow last
Shimano SH-M089 Mountain - could not tell any difference between a 45 regular and a 45 wide. Maybe an "extra material" shoe.
Mavic Crossride SL "Maxi" fit - also not wide, just extra material, also super floppy
Shimano SH-RP9 Wide - definitely wide, and very high quality. However, the last is a not quite "flipper foot" shaped and had some odd pressure points.
Lake CX237 Wide - most "flipper foot shaped" and the one I kept. Definitely much cheaper construction and feel than the Shimano. But also made of real leather, so I am optimistic it will "break in" more than the synthetics.

Hope that helps someone.

I need wide fit also and recently purchased some Mavic Crossride SL Maxi and couldn't be more pleased, I don't find them floppy at all and cinches well on my heal for secure fit. My main problem besides needing room for my toes is a bunion on my right foot. Not only do the Mavic's give me a wider toe box they don't put pressure atop my bunion that many velcro strap shoes do,which is a big relief for me. What may have not worked for you worked great for me and the price is right for those of us on a tight budget. Campmor and Amazon have them price under $100. Best fitting Mtn shoe I've ever worn. Rivals my shimano (wide) and Lake (wide) road shoes.

berserk87
10-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks for posting this. Great quick review, by the way.

I have ridden Sidi Megas for a number of years. They work, but I do have some issues on long rides sometimes. I can barely ratchet and strap them down, or I get pain.

I have a wide forefoot and a narrow heel. The pair I have now has a heel retention system, which helps me snug up the heel. In other shoes, I have had to use a Dr. Scholls heel cup just to take up space back there.

I have heard good things about Bonts. I have not tried on Shimano or Lake shoes since the late 90's. They did not work for me then. Sounds like they have gotten wider. I may have to broaden my horizons.

justaute
10-10-2016, 01:13 PM
I need the width and height, because I have pretty high insteps in addition to the orthotics. So, it is kind of a triple whammy.

I know how it is. Wide (11.5 @ 2E/3E), high in-step, and high arch. So far, only the Lake CX237W has worked. Quite curious about the 2017 Shimano.

djg21
10-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Shimano has new wide last MTB shoes coming out this month with Boa closures. I might try them.

Backcountry has the old XC 90 wides on sale for $221.