PDA

View Full Version : titanium bolts?

sfhbike
10-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I know this isn't the weight weenies forum, but I'm curious about ti bolts for my Moots.

1) I know Moots sells an upgrade kit for $40 plus another $40 for stems (and I'd end up with a seat clamp bolt I can't use since I have the integrated collar). Any alternate sources out there for quality ti bolts that might be a bit cheaper?

2) Pros or cons of going this route, or any feedback on the Moots bits vs. third party?

Llewellyn
10-07-2016, 05:35 PM
My question would be..........why bother for a saving of, literally, a few grams overall? There would be plenty of other components on the bike where you could save more weight than by replacing a few bolts.

tuscanyswe
10-07-2016, 05:36 PM
My question would be..........why bother for a saving of, literally, a few grams overall? There would be plenty of other components on the bike where you could save more weight than by replacing a few bolts.

+1

But the bolts on moots stems do get pretty ugly with time if you live near the sea or where they salt the roads in winter. Ive changed bolts on em a few times but only to the same kind just new.

dzxc
10-07-2016, 05:37 PM
I would like to do this with various bolts on my titanium bike, but am not paying the Moots upgrade pricing. If there are cheaper options, especially ones where I could order just the bolts I need, that would be awesome.

hmai18
10-07-2016, 05:39 PM
http://www.torontocycles.com/ has been my go-to for alloy and ti bolts for years. Quality has been good; out of all the stem and cage bolts I've purchased, I've never had one shear during tightening.

R3awak3n
10-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Check the site listed above. Please dont give moots $40 for a ti bolt kit, that is robery.

Cameron
10-07-2016, 06:33 PM
http://www.torontocycles.com/ has been my go-to for alloy and ti bolts for years. Quality has been good; out of all the stem and cage bolts I've purchased, I've never had one shear during tightening.

But maaaaan, who put that website together?!?

berserk87
10-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Check the site listed above. Please dont give moots $40 for a ti bolt kit, that is robery.

Robery indeed! They stole a 'b' from you!

Tony T
10-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Another source: https://www.pro-bolt.com

R3awak3n
10-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Robery indeed! They stole a 'b' from you!

:( was on the phone.

cadence90
10-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Excellent shop.

charliedid
10-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Con

tigoat
10-07-2016, 07:56 PM
I am a fan of titanium bolts but I don’t use them to reduce weight, just for corrosion protection. However, I wouldn’t just use any Ti bolt on my bikes, especially those cheaper ones. I would stay away from most brands mentioned here regardless. If Moots sells Ti bolts then they are presumably good. I would pay to upgrade to Moots Ti bolts or forget about upgrading altogether. Why bother with these unnecessary upgrades if you are not going for the best available?

With that said, I am a fan of Ti bolts from the following source but they are not any cheaper than Moots.

http://www.proti-bicycles.com/

sales guy
10-07-2016, 07:58 PM
I don't always do Ti bolts for weight. I also do it because they won't rust.

I usually switch bolts out on tri bikes cause of the power goo and fluids and sweat. That way no rusting of bolts.

Or, as I just did for one of my show bikes, I switched them due to color. And switched all the other bolts to black chromed bolts. Looked much better on the bike than the bright silver ones.

SteveV0983
10-07-2016, 08:03 PM
How about AVT Bike? I've bought from them in the past and always had great results.

http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AVT&Category_Code=Bolts

sfhbike
10-07-2016, 08:15 PM
+1

But the bolts on moots stems do get pretty ugly with time if you live near the sea or where they salt the roads in winter. Ive changed bolts on em a few times but only to the same kind just new.

I also live about 2 miles from the ocean. Bikes are garaged and I have a dehumidifier running, but it seems whatever is in the air still manages to get to things like spoke nipples and any non-stainless steel bolts. I usually give bolts I know are prone to rust a little surface wipe of WD-40 and that helps. I am worried about the standard bolts on my Moots holding up.

Keep the suggestions coming. Definitely looking for good quality bolts, as I've purchased cheap eBay ones in the past for a different bike and almost stripped the allen head trying to get the damn things off my stem.

sfhbike
10-07-2016, 08:23 PM

So do you tighten to the same recommended torque as with steel bolts, or is that generally too much for ti bolts?

djg21
10-07-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't always do Ti bolts for weight. I also do it because they won't rust.

I usually switch bolts out on tri bikes cause of the power goo and fluids and sweat. That way no rusting of bolts.

Or, as I just did for one of my show bikes, I switched them due to color. And switched all the other bolts to black chromed bolts. Looked much better on the bike than the bright silver ones.

But they are more prone to cracking. If you want to save a few grams, you can always buy some GatorGum and spit into a cup a few times. It's a lot less expensive.

cadence90
10-07-2016, 08:30 PM
So do you tighten to the same recommended torque as with steel bolts, or is that generally too much for ti bolts?

I have switched my Moots "Dacromet" bolts to ti bolts from Toronto Cycles, torqued to the same settings that Moots recommends, and have not had any issues at all after several years.

If you are simply worried about corrosion, you could also buy stainless bolts. I switched to ti not to save weight, but for corrosion resistance and color.

sfhbike
10-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I have switched my Moots "Dacromet" bolts to ti bolts from Toronto Cycles, torqued to the same settings that Moots recommends, and have not had any issues at all after several years.

If you are simply worried about corrosion, you could also buy stainless bolts. I switched to ti not to save weight, but for corrosion resistance and color.

That's great to hear. They have some very reasonable prices. My goals are similar. The weight is a plus, but it is more for corrosion and aesthetics.

ripvanrando
10-08-2016, 04:22 AM
I hear Playboy has really good articles but the pictures are oxidized.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2016, 05:51 AM
I am a fan of titanium bolts but I don’t use them to reduce weight, just for corrosion protection. However, I wouldn’t just use any Ti bolt on my bikes, especially those cheaper ones. I would stay away from most brands mentioned here regardless. If Moots sells Ti bolts then they are presumably good. I would pay to upgrade to Moots Ti bolts or forget about upgrading altogether. Why bother with these unnecessary upgrades if you are not going for the best available?

With that said, I am a fan of Ti bolts from the following source but they are not any cheaper than Moots.

http://www.proti-bicycles.com/

Kinda think you get what you pay for and pay for what you get. You only have to have one 'cheap' ti bolt shear/crack/wallow out and then the drama to get it out rather than pay a little more for a decent ti bolt set, if ya gotta have titanium bolts.

tigoat
10-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Kinda think you get what you pay for and pay for what you get. You only have to have one 'cheap' ti bolt shear/crack/wallow out and then the drama to get it out rather than pay a little more for a decent ti bolt set, if ya gotta have titanium bolts.

That's exactly my point. People would pay hundreds and thousands for bikes and bike stuff but at the same time they try to save $20 for some risky upgrades, which is baffling to understand the mentality here.

Tony T
10-08-2016, 06:42 AM
I switched my Ti stem faceplate bolts to SS.

berserk87
10-08-2016, 01:29 PM
:( was on the phone.

Just having fun with you. Typos are part of life.