PDA

View Full Version : Wider Rim Benefit

campy man
10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Do wider rims improve tire mileage?

No doubt the ride quality has improved since switching from Open Pro to DT RR440 rims. What has been a pleasant surprise is the improved tire mileage. My current pair of Pave CG tires seem to be lasting quite a bit longer than expected(knock on wood). I do rotate my tires between front & back to squeeze a few extra miles but the current pair are lasting quite a bit longer than normal :beer:

donevwil
10-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Now that you mention it I have had a similar experience. The wear patch on my newer Grand Bois Cypres 32s on HED+ is noticeably wider than that of an older set mounted to Archetypes. Hard to imagine 2mm making much of a difference, but it appears to on larger tires at least. No direct mileage comparison, but the wider wear patch leads me to believe they will last longer. That's in addition to the tires handling noticeably better on the 2mm wider rims as well.

Ken Robb
10-07-2016, 04:14 PM
If a wider rim gives a wider footprint I can see it might distribute the load and wear over more rubber.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2016, 06:11 AM

No doubt the ride quality has improved since switching from Open Pro to DT RR440 rims. What has been a pleasant surprise is the improved tire mileage. My current pair of Pave CG tires seem to be lasting quite a bit longer than expected(knock on wood). I do rotate my tires between front & back to squeeze a few extra miles but the current pair are lasting quite a bit longer than normal :beer:

I wouldn't do that. You want your best tire on the front..flat a front-bad news, flat a rear, less bad news(crashing reference).

Wear out the rear, buy a new one, put on front, front to the rear...IMHO

Black Dog
10-08-2016, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't do that. You want your best tire on the front..flat a front-bad news, flat a rear, less bad news(crashing reference).

Wear out the rear, buy a new one, put on front, front to the rear...IMHO

This is some sage advice.

Splash
10-08-2016, 07:25 AM
If a wider rim gives a wider footprint I can see it might distribute the load and wear over more rubber.

Does this translate to improved power transfer also?

Splash

juanj
10-08-2016, 09:56 AM
At 21mm width, is the RR 440 a true "wide" rim? I ride this rim also and it has been perfect over thousands of miles, but I was under the impression that the benefits of a wide rim start around 24mm outer width (and 19 or so inner).

sasteelman
10-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Have moved to 25's but plan to go to 28's. Improved ride without affecting rolling resistance

ripvanrando
10-28-2016, 03:41 AM
yes

Mikej
10-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Or are you running a lower pressure?

bigbill
10-28-2016, 08:23 AM
I get a better wear pattern on my wide rim versus a "conventional" rim like the ones on my Zonda wheelset for the same tire. The wide rim doesn't get the typical "ridge" but they still wear out just the same.

Also, I don't rotate my tires front and back. I typically run through 2 or more rear tires for every front one. One of my main setups is a Pro4 SC in the front and a Pro4 Endurance in the rear. I buy two Endurance tires for every SC tire.

Steve in SLO
10-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Does this translate to improved power transfer also?

Splash

Not likely, since power transfer at the tire-surface interface is 100% efficient until the tire loses group with the tarmac. If you can do this under full load you're a better man than most.

campy man
10-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Or are you running a lower pressure?

At the most 5-10psi less that with the Open Pro rims.