PDA

View Full Version : Single speed mtn bike

LegendRider
10-07-2016, 12:51 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a single speed mtn bike and this caught my eye:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/5815449148.html

I'm curious to get some feedback on this set-up. i hadn't considered a rigid fork and it worries me. Also, are these Elixir brakes good? How do they compare XTs for example? Any other thoughts on the components or price?

Thanks!

sandyrs
10-07-2016, 12:57 PM
My personal experience on Elixirs was fine but they have a reputation for failing somewhat suddenly.

You'd be surprised how much you can do on a rigid bike if you're able to use your whole body as suspension, but it won't be as capable as a 6" trail bike.

Honestly you could probably get a fine bike together starting with a used frame for a bit less than that, but the hassle of gathering components and dealing with the used market for all the parts may not be worth it. Looks like a solid bike overall. I hated my SS MTB because riding on the road to get to trails in a 32/19 is just grueling, but if you're driving to ride that's not a problem, and it was really fun on the trails.

Appears not to have thru-axles if that matters to you.

RFC
10-07-2016, 01:21 PM
If you are just trying out the concept, I suggest you find an old hardtail ridgid fork MTB and convert it. Something like an old Stumpjumper or Cannondale would work. Conversion is a piece of cake.

Schmed
10-07-2016, 01:51 PM
I say 'go for it'.

I rode my SS29er rigid for about a year. You just need to watch your line a bit closer and when descending, keep your elbows at 90 degrees to absorb shock. It's weirdly refreshing to ride a rigid SS. Light and simple.

CMiller
10-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Elixirs and XT's are in very very different categories, honestly basic Deore blow out my experience with any avid discs. They'll stop you but they won't feel as nice and will probably require more rebleeds.

As far as single speed I would not recommend a 26" frame, the momentum of the larger 29er wheel really helps out. I only ride rigid 29ers now on my trails in the SF Bay Area, and it takes some adjustment, but really depends on the local riding. If you're just trying out mountain riding talk to some cool riders at your local shop about their favorite rides, see if they'd try it on a rigid.

A light, rigid, single speed mountain bike may very well be the most fun you've ever had on the dirt! Simple, to the point, ride it and rip.

onespeed
10-07-2016, 03:24 PM
I would also say "go for it"!

A fully rigid bike ties in perfectly to the 'less is more' philosophy of a SS mountain bike, once you beat up the tires that are on it, I would suggest picking up something with a bit more volume, I love a 2.4 Ardent on the front of my Rigid SS (with a 2.35 Ikon in the rear).

As far as the brakes go, Elixir brakes are fine, they have a bit more modulation than Shimano offerings. They don't have a very big reservoir, it's the big reason they're known to have to be bled frequently. If they're working fine now, rock 'em. If you're comfortable bleeding brakes when the time comes do it, if not replace them at that point, due to the age of them seals frequently are faultly and may not be worth paying a shop to do the bleed, but good brakes are cheap these days if you need to down the road.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

jchasse
10-07-2016, 03:30 PM
My limited experience with Avid disc brakes was pretty bad, and it's been pretty common belief that XT's were a better setup.

Personally, although i have a rigid fatbike, i knew i wanted a suspension fork on my SS MTB. Admittedly, I'm pushing 50 yrs old, but single speeding off-road is tough enough. I wouldn't want to do it on a rigid bike.

If you run across a Spot Honey Badger, that's what I've got and I love the bike. They weren't very expensive new, so I'd think you could score a deal on a used one.

Ken C
10-07-2016, 05:12 PM
I bought a Soma B Side frame on this forum with the idea of starting out SS, but having the option to run gears if I didn't like it. Two years later and I have never thought about putting gears or a shock on it.

High volume tubeless tires are enough suspension for me. I really like the feel of a light rigid bike on the climbs. It is the perfect bike for riding in the Black Hills since everything is pretty much up or down, not too many extended flats.

I am having so much fun on it, I haven't ridden my road bike nearly as much lately.

Was pretty surprised when I finally did go on a ride with a couple of guys at work I had no problem keeping up with them (even dropped them on the climbs), even though they were both on geared bikes.

Steve in SLO
10-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I have virtually the same bike and I love it. Unless you need LOTS of cush, a nice 2.1-2.3 front tire will give you plenty of shock absorption. I have Avids on mine and they stop my 180+ lbs just fine.
Get the gearing right for your hills and go enjoy the simplicity!

Greenpea
10-07-2016, 05:24 PM
For that coin you would not a have problem at all finding a nicer used SS.

SS is killer and rigid really makes you a better rider in the long run. I ran that fork on a couple different SS frames and loved it. Takes just the right amount of edge off.

I ran the elixirs on a Vassago and they squealed like a stuck pig when they got hot. They are also either on or off in my experience.

Schmed
10-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Also - I have not had good luck with 3 pairs of Avid hydraulics. Hope or Shimano for me. But... you could always run them til the break, then switch.

bmeryman
10-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Another "go for it" vote here. I've owned almost every style mountain bike and I always find myself back on rigid singlespeed with the biggest smile.

As for the Elixers, I've never ran them personally (almost always XTs or mechanical), but their reputation with local riders is a bit hit or miss. I'd say run them but keep an eye out for a good deal on XTs or similar and make the upgrade before you run into any issues.

Have an awesome time if you go for it!

10-08-2016, 12:11 AM
When you get on a SSCX or SS MTB, you'll immediately notice that you pedal differently and use your position differently, compared to when you have a complement of gears. Suspension interferes with your pedaling on a single speed, where you are generally using lower gears much of the time. The sense of connection with your pedaling and how you can use your body weight differently on a SS drive make a rigid frame and fork more suited to riding those more rigorous kinds of courses. Try doing a single-speed gravel ride. You'll really see the difference there.