PDA

View Full Version : PF30 to GXP Question

ColonelJLloyd
10-06-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm really sorry. I'm sure this has been covered, but my search didn't give me a clear answer. Here's the crux.

Frame with collared PF30 shell
SRAM XX GXP 42/28 crankset (meant for a 73mm shell. I've been using on 68mm BSA shell with spacers)

What Wheels MFG (http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30.html) BB or adapter (or both, I'm confused) do I need to order? I currently have a BSA GXP bottom bracket. Do I use that with an adapter or do I just get a BB that fits the 24mm spindle? What about spacers for the MTB crankset?

Cameron
10-06-2016, 01:37 PM
I had the same dilemma on a Mr. Pink I built. PF30 bottom bracket shell, but already had a SRAM GXP crankset and a Chris King threaded bottom bracket to match it.

I didn't want to buy a whole new combination conversion/bottom bracket thinger since I already had a good bottom bracket that matched the crankset.

After looking a bit I opted to try these: http://www.jensonusa.com/!KrWvEUUX4YEuf2RBLC9zOQ!/SramTruvativ-PF30-To-6873mm-BB-Adaptor?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CMOS14vnxs8CFQKsaQodKFEOLg

I was skeptical but I had no issue. Worked flawlessly and creak free on that bike for a couple thousand miles before I was forced to retire that bike for another reason (hit by a car).

I read lots of stuff from people about it coming loose easily, etc. but that never happened to me. I will note that the Mr. Pink is of course steel, and also is factory internally coated which I bet makes the tolerance tighter. That very well may have played into my luck with these adapters. They were nice and tight pressing in and never wiggled. I can see how that might not be the case for other frame materials and/or sloppy shell tolerances.

Lewis Moon
10-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I just put a wheels manufacturing converter in my Supersix to carry my new SMARM Quarq. It came with a scadwad of spacers.

ColonelJLloyd
10-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Awesome, Cameron! Very helpful. Can I install this adapter with a Park HHP?

I just put a wheels manufacturing converter in my Supersix to carry my new SMARM Quarq. It came with a scadwad of spacers.

BB30 to BSA threaded? How's it working out so far?

Lewis Moon
10-06-2016, 03:04 PM

BB30 to BSA threaded? How's it working out so far?

Actually BB30 to external: http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard/pf30-outboard-bottom-brackets/pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24-22mm-cranks-sram-black.html

So far so good. 120 miles in 3 days. PM me in a week or so and I'll have enough data to help. Easy as pie to fit except the external cups are built with REALLY tight tolerances and I had to try several tools till one actually would go on the splines. Seems nicely built but I really like the Praxis expand to fit stuff.
FYI: $20 cheaper on Amazon

Cameron
10-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Yeah. You actually install the GXP threaded cups into the adapters first by gently holding the adapter halves in place with a bench vise and tightening the cups into them with the standard outboard bottom bracket tool. Then press each "assembled" bottom bracket half into the bottom bracket shell with the press just like how you'd normally press a PF30 bottom bracket in.

kramnnim
10-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Praxis

.RJ
10-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Actually BB30 to external: http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard/pf30-outboard-bottom-brackets/pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket-for-24-22mm-cranks-sram-black.html

This is the one you want. I've used several, no fuss.

RobJ
10-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Based on other recommendations I went with the Praxis for one of my bikes and it was excellent. As they describe, it's not just an adaptor.

https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

ColonelJLloyd
10-06-2016, 11:06 PM
I think the Praxis or Wheels MFG PF30 bottom brackets look super nice. But, they're $30-50 more than the SRAM/TruVativ PressFit 30 to 68/73mm English Thread Bottom Bracket Adaptor and you have to choose 68 or 73 rather than having the option of either with a single purchase. For this project I'm willing to take the chance on the least expensive option.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Can't resist..this BB stuff is nutz..how does all this BB stuff make the bike 'better'??

ColonelJLloyd
10-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Can't resist..this BB stuff is nutz..how does all this BB stuff make the bike 'better'??

Beats me. I'm just trying to hack this thing into having an English threaded BB.

.RJ
10-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I think the Praxis or Wheels MFG PF30 bottom brackets look super nice. But, they're $30-50 more than the SRAM/TruVativ PressFit 30 to 68/73mm English Thread Bottom Bracket Adaptor

That's still cheaper than buying the adapter the first time, realize it ****ing creaks, throwing it away, and then buying the praxis/wheels mfg/enduro BB.

ColonelJLloyd
10-07-2016, 09:12 AM
That's still cheaper than buying the adapter the first time, realize it ****ing creaks, throwing it away, and then buying the praxis/wheels mfg/enduro BB.

I'm with you, but I do my own wrenching and the Praxis/Wheels are 68 or 73 specific and I may want to use a road crank at some point. If I end up with the frame I will install the adapter with Loctite 609 and give it a whirl. I promise to come back and eat crow when it creaks.

jtbadge
10-07-2016, 09:23 AM
If you've got a PF30 frame, and are going to use SRAM cranks, just get cranks that are PF30 compatible directly. Cut out the hacky BB adapters.

ColonelJLloyd
10-07-2016, 09:32 AM
If you've got a PF30 frame, and are going to use SRAM cranks, just get cranks that are PF30 compatible directly. Cut out the hacky BB adapters.

As I've stated, I already have the cranks. I'm not going to sell them and buy a crank that is then only compatible with a PF30 frame. I don't own the frame; thinking of buying a Twin Six Standard Rando frame.

Cameron
10-07-2016, 11:23 AM

That cheap adapter I linked worked flawlessly for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure the ideal solution is to forego the adapter and run matched PF30 cranks. That's a lot more money to spend though when I already had a perfectly good crankset and bottom bracket just like OP is saying he has. On my current Mr. Pink I'm running SRAM red PF30 cranks with a Chris King PF30 bottom bracket so no adapters this time around. Works perfectly, no creaks, no nothing. BUT I also had no creaks or anything with the adapted setup either.

.RJ
10-07-2016, 02:57 PM
I prefer to use GXP & Shimano cranks, they work on everything with the right cups or adapters, unlike the various 30mm spindle cranks.

I have also used the wheels mfg delrin adapter cups with good success on several bikes, road & mtb. Those would be my 2nd choice, and they're cheap and I believe they act as a secondary dust/grime seal on the bearings. On one of my road bikes, BB30, I've had the adapters installed with a GXP crank and put at least 10k miles on the frame with the original enduro BB30 bearings.