PDA

View Full Version : wheels for the 200+lb crowd?

Needs Help
04-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Hi,

When I fall over in my driveway because the standover on my bike is too high, and I'm stuck on my back like a turtle, I want to have some styling wheels spinnng in the air so all my neighbors will be envious. Are any of the Campy Wheels with the G3 system appropriate? Any other Campy wheels or other manufacturers? Or, are Mavic Open Pros pretty much my only choice. (Please assume I will eventually right myself, and put a full 210 lb's on those wheels.) :)

jpw
04-06-2004, 04:20 AM
With that payload might i suggest a tricycle :p ;)

dnovo
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
The Eurus should work just fine. You may also want to consider the Velomax, they have the Acent/Orion siblings that are identical other than the slightly 'beefier' build and spoke count issues for 'Clydes.' The Velomax Tempest IIs are very strong. American Classic 420s will work just fine, and they will add in more/heavier spokes if you ask. (My set, for our post-Apocalypse streets here hold up fine.) Lots of choices and at 210, you aint't even close to being a true "Clyde." Relax. Dave N. (who either has or still does own one of more of the above and speaks from personal experience, not rumor.)

keno
04-06-2004, 06:49 AM
I've had a pair of Orion II's on my Concours for a year and enjoy them. I'm not your weight, but 180+. It is the wheel they recommend for larger citizens, and they have a page on their site showing a brute who can't seem to do anything to the wheels despite breaking every other part of his training bikes.

THE PROBLEM: I wrote on the forum a few weeks back of a problem I had when I put the Velomax wheels on my steel Spectrum which has horizontal rear dropouts vs.the vertical ones of the Concours. The Velomax skewer did not hold the wheel in place, it slid forward when I put significant pressure on the pedal, and the cassette scraped up my frame to the tune of about $200 of repairs by Spectrum. The whole story to date is told on two threads. I await Velomax's response to my request for payment, which I will reveal on this forum. The IMPORTANT point is, if you get the Velomax wheels, be mindful of what rear dropouts you have on your bikes and the skewers you use. Campy Records skewers hold the Velomax wheels on the Spectrum without problem.

keno

amg
04-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Needs Help,

I'm 210 lbs. (and fighting my way back to 190-195) and I decided to try a little, if not expensive experiment. I bought a set of 2003 Campagnolo Neutron tubulars and decided to ride them throughout the entire riding season to see how well a good pre-built wheel would hold up to everyday riding. Well, to my surprise after about 3,000 miles since I put them on, only the front is slightly out of true and that's due to the poor road conditions where I live and the rear is perfectly true. The wheel spin beautifully and work great and the only thing I had to do was apply a bit of Phil Woods Tenacious oil to the rear spokes where they cross to eliminate the rubbing sound coming from that area. That's it, otherwise the wheels are holding up fantastically.

I imagine that the Campy Eurus wheels would be even stronger due to the taller rim.

Antonio :beer:

Jeff N.
04-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Mavic Ksyriums.
Velomax Tempest II
Campy Scirocco (G-3 fore and aft). Cheap, too! (check E-Bay). Jeff N.

dirtdigger88
04-06-2004, 09:05 AM
I like

Ksyriums

Open Pros with Chris King/DA hubs

Rolfs are strong, but I do not like the ride

My riding partner is 230+ he uses open pros with various hub combos

Jason

Jay Torborg
04-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I used the Campy Eurus wheels all last season on my Ottrott when I weighed around 205 +/- and put about 7000 miles on them. I haven't had any problems with them and they're still as true as when I got them. Very nice wheelset.

Ahneida Ride
04-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Mavic CXP-33 with White Racer X hubs allow one curb hopping capabilities.

bostondrunk
04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
A lot of the pre-builts will probably hold up just fine. If one doesn't, its probably not typical of it, just bad luck.
But you're not gonna beat the open pro choice for durability, ease of repair, etc. Need flashy? Get the blue ones. There, problem solved!<burp>

Needs Help
04-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I was considering CXP-33's until an LBS told me they aren't good rims. But hey, if I can hop curbs with them, they should work fine.

Jeff N.
04-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I was considering CXP-33's until an LBS told me they aren't good rims. But hey, if I can hop curbs with them, they should work fine.

I've been riding CXP-33's laced to Chris King hubs for two years. Not a problem one. Jeff N.

zap
04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
CXP-33's not good rims? April Fools was last Thursday...

The CXP-33 & those deep section Velocity rims are probably the strongest rims you can purchase.

dirtdigger88
04-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Only reason to go OP vs 33 is the weight difference. I think at your weight, the OP route is plenty strong, and you will save what about 100g of rotational weight over the 33? Oh god, I sound like a weight wennie. I need to go ride my bike now.

Jason

vaxn8r
04-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Anyone know the difference between the CXP 33 and the CXP 30? Is it just a deeper profile? Weight?

JohnS
04-07-2004, 07:09 AM
The wheels should match the bike. What kind of bike were you planning on putting them on anyway, Needs Help?

TimD
04-07-2004, 07:21 AM
I know they aren't everybody's favorite but Kysriums go all night long.

Wood
04-07-2004, 05:58 PM
NH,
Your timing is incredible. I love this forum! I ordered an Ottrott ST about 6 weeks ago and I will have to pick components soon. I’m 6’4” and about 215 and am looking at this very issue because of my weight. I was leaning towards the Eurus before the question was asked. I still have about two weeks to decide since the frame won’t arrive at my LBS until late Apr so I’ll relook at all the options mentioned. NH and all, thx! Wood

Ken Robb
04-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm 215 and had zero problems with Velomax Orion--the early ones. I also have no trouble w/32 hole open pros on Ultegra. Our CSi has Spinergy SR3 with Campy 10spd. I can tell that they flex a little side-side but they have held up fine and the handling is not compromised. With so few spokes though I think my ride would be over if one spoke broke. Don't even think about heliums.