PDA

View Full Version : OT: Input from audiophiles

vav
10-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Hi all; what's out there similar in price and features to Bose Wave SoundTouch IV (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/wave-soundtouch-music-system.html#v=wms_soundtouch_4_espresso_black)?

We want Radio, Bluetooth and CD player in one sleek and small piece :D

Thanks as usual for sharing your knowledge ;)

Likes2ridefar
10-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Hi all; what's out there similar in price and features to Bose Wave SoundTouch IV (https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/wave-soundtouch-music-system.html#v=wms_soundtouch_4_espresso_black)?

We want Radio, Bluetooth and CD player in one sleek and small piece :D

Thanks as usual for sharing your knowledge ;)

Very recently there were threads asking exactly this. I posted in one only a day or two ago.

Tongue in cheek though, an audiophile would not being listening to what you request. If close to the speakers, they would have near field/bookshelf sized expensive speakers powered by an equally expensive AMP with a nearly as expensive DAC hooked up to a silent HTPC. Or something along those lines!

Lewis Moon
10-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Sometimes good enough is good enough. I've never understood paying gazillions for a car stereo when your speaker placement is usually "sub optimal" (to say the very least) and the listening "room" is full of crap ambient noise and has terrible acoustics.
Same goes for most home installations. I own a relatively nice stereo system but 90% of the time volume is too low and the detail drops out (turn that jazz crap down, Dad! (I jest)), or I'm competing with the dishwasher, vent fan, UPS trucks, vacuum cleaner...
When I can get some space, it's brilliant, but most of the time something by Bose would do.

staggerwing
10-05-2016, 02:27 PM
While I like good sound, I wouldn't refer to myself as an audiophile.

There just doesn't appear to be much enthusiasm or even manufacturer participation in compact, all-in-one system with a tuner and CD. Most everyone seems to be mainly interested in either Bluetooth speakers, using a smartphone as the source, or more sophisticated A/V setups.

IMO, most Bose products are over-hyped, and over-priced, for the sound quality delivered, but very well marketed. However, I doubt you are going to find a much better all-in-one. However, Tivoli used to sell some nice units, and Yamaha has some interesting units too but they are not well marketed stateside.

See http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-systems/

The obtusely tagged MCR-B043, or more expensive MCR-B142, might be contenders if you can find one to audition. Some of their other units require a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the aux interface port.

It wasn't on the linked page, but the Yamaha TSX-B141 also looks appealing and is well reviewed on B+H. Looks closer to the size of the Bose unit you linked.

They seriously need to fire the naming/marketing person at Yamaha.

rnhood
10-05-2016, 02:37 PM
I recommend spending the money and getting the Wave. I have been thoroughly pleased with mine.

Likes2ridefar
10-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I own a relatively nice stereo system but 90% of the time volume is too low and the detail drops out

I have this problem too. I live in a condo and my speakers are capable of filling the entire complex (not just my unit). All 4 floors of it...

They sound pretty good low, but even at low volumes the lower frequencies still travel through the walls and floor beneath me. And it's really a tease because at high volumes they are a moving experience...kick drum in the chest and awesome 3d imaging.

So what is a wannabe audiophile to do? I ordered custom salk sound tower speakers (his smallest model) that only go to 38hz as opposed to my current speakers that flirt with 18hz.

Get em in a month of so!

Anyways, if your speakers dont sound good quiet there is perhaps some things that can be done.

I spent a not insignficiant amount on dirac live software. That really improved things for me.

Another thing I was considering for quality low volume was trying out very efficient speakers like Zu Audio or Tekton design. Tekton Lores were what I was leaning towards before the wife saw the salk speakers and loved the custom cabinets...

blantonator
10-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Friends don't let friends buy Bose. Seriously though Bose is not audiophile equipment.

echelon_john
10-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I said it in the other thread, too. Sonos.

CDs are dead.

Stream from whatever device is in your pocket. Great sound, great app/interface. Modular/expandable.

10-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Mostly try to get HD music by download or rip it from your CDs. Then for speakers, understand that Bluetooth doesn't have all that much bandwidth so the best you get is a pretty low res sound. But that suffices in many instances when quality of the digital and speaker componentry is at least good. Without getting over the top crazy and looking for a studio turntable and all the rest, check out www.wirecutter.com for some reasonably impartial education on stereo equipment. I'd never tell you to buy a bike based on these guys' reviews, but they can point you in the right direction for this level of need. You can also look to the Mac publications for some reviews on better competitors to what you're looking at. Then google for audio reviews and go crazy.

cadence90
10-05-2016, 06:52 PM
If anyone is interested, I have 2 Tivoli Audio systems that I am selling.

1) Music System BT (AM/FM; BT; CD; Alarm; 3 remotes; in Black Ash).

2) Model Three Clock Radio + Dual Alarm Speaker (AM/FM; Alarm; in White).

These are both new.

pjm
10-05-2016, 07:28 PM
I said it in the other thread, too. Sonos.

CDs are dead.

Stream from whatever device is in your pocket. Great sound, great app/interface. Modular/expandable.

Just ordered new CDs last night. Listen to them at home and in the car. I own a $3600 (1992 money) Krell CD player and I'll continue using until it expires. Still listen to vinyl too.
OP, there's this....
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580CSN755/Onkyo-CS-N755.html?tp=209

daker13
10-05-2016, 07:59 PM
IMO, most Bose products are over-hyped, and over-priced, for the sound quality delivered, but very well marketed. However, I doubt you are going to find a much better all-in-one. However, Tivoli used to sell some nice units, and Yamaha has some interesting units too but they are not well marketed stateside.

This is pretty much the common audiophile perspective on Bose, a company that declines to submit its products for review to the audio magazines, supposedly because they don't want their products measured and tested. I have my mother in law's Bose Wave on loan and do think it's fun to listen to--the midrange is so emphasized, it's pretty easy on the ears.

As Stagger says, the cd player is the real problem, as a lot of units no longer have them. You might think about getting an iPod or cheaper mp3/audio player and using that as the source. A lot of people like the Audio Engine stuff. I bought one of their little powered speakers when I found it on sale for $200, and it's super easy to use and sounds great. Way less roided up than the Wave, but it won't fill up a big room with sound. This is the one I have:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/B2-Standalone-Bluetooth-Speaker

Believe it or not (re: the wireless thread), I find using a little cable way less hassle than the bluetooth, and it sounds better, but that's just me.

vav
10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone. The reason we want CDs is my kids playing and listening still to tons of music on them. We stream tons of music but I don't want to take that away from them.

hollowgram5
10-06-2016, 08:53 AM
This is pretty much the common audiophile perspective on Bose, a company that declines to submit its products for review to the audio magazines, supposedly because they don't want their products measured and tested. I have my mother in law's Bose Wave on loan and do think it's fun to listen to--the midrange is so emphasized, it's pretty easy on the ears.

As Stagger says, the cd player is the real problem, as a lot of units no longer have them. You might think about getting an iPod or cheaper mp3/audio player and using that as the source. A lot of people like the Audio Engine stuff. I bought one of their little powered speakers when I found it on sale for $200, and it's super easy to use and sounds great. Way less roided up than the Wave, but it won't fill up a big room with sound. This is the one I have:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/B2-Standalone-Bluetooth-Speaker

Believe it or not (re: the wireless thread), I find using a little cable way less hassle than the bluetooth, and it sounds better, but that's just me.
I've got an older set (3-4 yes old) of Audio Engine speakers myself. Like them real well, they make some great products.

I understand the desire for the CD player, my brother is in the same boat.

benb
10-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Ignoring the Audiophile aspects I would stay far away from that thing. Get a different Bose if you like the Bose sound and the form factor of the wave radio. We have a wave radio, I would probably never have bought it but my wife did and it is OK in the kitchen. I don't really think it sounds appreciably better than say the Jambox bluetooth speaker we have which was a fraction of the price and size.

The reason I'd caution you away from this model is it is loaded with a bunch of complicated software for streaming that a cheaper model doesn't have. You are dependent on Bose to keep this thing working as Spotify and Pandora update their software. Neither Spotify nor Pandora nor any of the other supported services will have much of a financial incentive to make sure this device continues to work with their services, and Bose will likely quickly move onto something else and not want to support it. So before long it will no longer be able to play those Network audio services. Audio devices like this tend to keep working for a long time and this thing will likely be still working long after it can no longer connect to those services.

If you go with a cheaper device which just takes input from a smartphone you'll have better luck. Spotify and Pandora both maintain their own client software on iOS and Android, and have a huge financial incentive to keep that working. This Bose has an aux jack and Bluetooth so it's not like it will stop working but there is no real point in paying extra for the "smart" features in this unit.

It is the same type of situation with "Smart" TVs and such versus buying say a "Dumb" TV and an Apple TV or something like that.

The CDs and such are actually much safer in the long run. Our wave radio just has AM/FM/CD and an Aux input and we plug a phone/tablet into it regularly to stream these services.

Geeheeb
10-06-2016, 09:29 AM
I know it's a little off what you want, but I love my Chromecast audio. Cheap, serviceable DAC, and wifi not Bluetooth so it's more versatile for audio that doesn't have to be portable. I already have good monitoring though.

Lots of noise and artifacts with the Logitech Bluetooth speakers i have. Blech.

staggerwing
10-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Forgot about the Chromecast audio widget. Might have to give one of those a try.

Could pair the Chromecast with a mini-integrated amp, like the SMSL Q5 Pro ($140) and some well-reviewed bookshelf speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's, ELAC B5's, or KEF Q100, all under $300 on Amazon).

I've not heard the Wharfedale nor ELAC speakers, but the Q100, and slightly bigger brother, the Q300, are very pleasant companions. KEF is also one of the older names in high-quality audio gear, and all they do is speakers, including making their own drivers.

Other integrated amplifier options, with more inputs and power for more money, are the NAD D 3020, Teac 301, and Yamaha WXA-50. The last one has both wired and wireless networking included.

CD, and virtually any other support digital disk based audio (CD-R, BluRay, etc.) could be handled with an inexpensive BluRay player. Most only have a digital coax for audio out, but that isn't a problem with an inexpensive digital to analog converter, such as the FiiO D3 ($20). FWIW, the SMSL has a digital coax input, and would not need the D3.

Most of the newer BluRay players have all sorts of streaming and wireless options too, although you would need a monitor with HDMI input to be able to access them through onscreen menus.

While it is somewhat of a pain to go with separates, you aren't beholden to one company to keep a complicated piece of gear going. A good integrated amp and quality speakers are virtually timeless (I have 25yo Adcom amplifiers and Klipsch speakers still in daily service), and digital input dongles, like the Chromecast Audio and BluRay player with streaming, can be inexpensively replaced as standards change and support disappears.

alexstar
10-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Having lived in SF for a long time I'm accustomed to small spaces. I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s I bought about ten years ago - not much low end to speak of but they sound incredible and fill small/medium sized rooms effortlessly. As mentioned above, sometimes good enough is good enough. If you want to really rock out in an apartment, get a set of headphones.