PDA

View Full Version : Hetchins help???

jzisk
10-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm building up a 1947 Hetchins Super Special (photo attached), but not as a museum piece-- to ride and maintain fairly easily. So I'm trying to use Campy NR and a modern freewheel, derailleur, etc. To start with: The rear spacing is 114mm and both sets of dropouts are narrower by a fraction of a mm than Campy's axle diameters... I'm sure the list of disconnects between then and now will grow!

Any mid-century restorers out there? Anyone with experience on this sort of build? Thanks!

Steve in SLO
10-05-2016, 11:05 AM
I got nothing except to say that that is one beautiful frame.
I am on the lookout for a Curly myself, and I'm looking forward to any answers provided since I would like to build similarly.

Aaron O
10-05-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm generally not a preservationist, but in this case...

I think that bike should be left alone and built up with parts that won't impact it; you might get 120mm hubs in there without cold setting, but I doubt you'd get 126. Honestly I'd stick to 114 and not do what you want to do. This is one of the few cases where I'd say that. There are lots of 60s bikes around better suited to your wants.

jzisk
10-05-2016, 11:13 AM
At this point I'm looking at vintage wheels, new 27" rims, and using a drop-bolt...

And on the NR axles, I'm thinking about grinding the tiny bit of diameter (after the threads) that would allow using them...

And I'm not clear on how some of the pre-50's Hetchins I've seen in photo's have larger freewheels in there, without hitting the stays-- there just isn't much space.

And I'm still unsure on the binder headset, whether a normal quill stem with expander would work.

Oh well; labor of love.

Aaron O
10-05-2016, 11:17 AM
At this point I'm looking at vintage wheels, new 27" rims, and using a drop-bolt...

And on the NR axles, I'm thinking about grinding the tiny bit of diameter (after the threads) that would allow using them...

And I'm not clear on how some of the pre-50's Hetchins I've seen in photo's have larger freewheels in there, without hitting the stays-- there just isn't much space.

And I'm still unsure on the binder headset, whether a normal quill stem with expander would work.

Oh well; labor of love.A truly worthy labor of love. My (limited) understanding is that 114 was for old 3/4 spd. I'd go that route, or maybe even IGH. This bike is just so beautiful, and so unusual, that I'd probably either go original, or not even bother.

ColonelJLloyd
10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
I think if you want to use a 5s modern freewheel (ramped) then you'll need 120mm spacing. There are lots of users that post on both forums, myself included, but the Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/) forum could be very helpful to you.

jzisk
10-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm generally not a preservationist, but in this case...

I think that bike should be left alone and built up with parts that won't impact it; you might get 120mm hubs in there without cold setting, but I doubt you'd get 126. Honestly I'd stick to 114 and not do what you want to do. This is one of the few cases where I'd say that. There are lots of 60s bikes around better suited to your wants.

I'm not sure what you mean at the end-- gotta lotta old, seriously legendary rides in the stable, but this seemed a strikingly gorgeous Brit frame that might be easy to not ruin in a modern incarnation.

I'm starting to think some of it will be better with its own period parts... But a Nitto S-84 would be a fitting modern post, for example.

Detailed suggestions would be helpful.

austex
10-05-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd go Brit path racer with a Sturmey-Archer IGH (3/4/5 sp). The axle flats will fit right in. I have an aluminium-shell AM laced into a Super Champion rim hanging in the garage for the day I come across a similar frame...jealous.

Aaron O
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
i'd go brit path racer with a sturmey-archer igh (3/4/5 sp). The axle flats will fit right in. I have an aluminium-shell am laced into a super champion rim hanging in the garage for the day i come across a similar frame...jealous.

+1

jzisk
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Nice.
I'll look at IGH and interesting rims.
Time to build a wheelset.
Thnx.

sg8357
10-05-2016, 05:53 PM
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/
Look at the readers bike section for what a '47 would have for parts.
Also excellent resto tips, Alexander Von T., is the high guru of BritBikes.

www.ebay.co.uk, lots of British parts available on British ebay that don't
show on the American version.

Also Hillary Stone if you can't find it on the Ebay, http://hilarystone.com/

Spacing @ 114 is 3 or 4 speed, fairly available, a rod front shifter will get you two rings, no cable. The front spacing is probably 95mm, smaller diameter axles. Nice thing about the period, no groups. Bikes would be built with a mix of British and Continental parts (ie French). Wheels are probably 700c, just need some good brakes, front and rear drop may be different.
Stronglight 49D cranks came out in the late 1930s, a period correct way to
avoid the dreaded cotter pins. The seat pin (seat post) may be a Reynolds
size like a #5 (26.9 metric) The headclip headset maybe 22mm ID, not 22.2
like moderns.

cnighbor1
10-05-2016, 06:15 PM
the Hetchins expert is Peter Naiman
Peter has collected all the rare models of Hetchins
Ask him
hetchinspete1@yahoo.com

jzisk
10-06-2016, 05:11 AM
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/
Look at the readers bike section for what a '47 would have for parts.
Also excellent resto tips, Alexander Von T., is the high guru of BritBikes.

The seat pin (seat post) may be a Reynolds
size like a #5 (26.9 metric) The headclip headset maybe 22mm ID, not 22.2
like moderns.

Lucky: 27.2 and 22.2.
Going with 4 spd freewheel and modern crankset/front der.
I'll post photo's when done.

Many thanks for all the valuable ideas.